Author Topic: Ayrshire farming families esp WYLLIE  (Read 31428 times)

Offline ripplesjd

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ayrshire farming families esp WYLLIE
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 April 12 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am researching a John [Dunlop] Wylie (Wyllie) who arrived in NSW in late 1823 on the Greenock. I can't work out his familial relationship with the astronomer James Dunlop. But there seems to have been one - as letters were sent to James Dunlop care of John Wylie and John Dunlop Wylie named his farm at Kembla Grange (near Dapto bordering Lake Illawarra "Dunlop Vale". I would love any help in sorting out the connection between the two - and also John Wylie's connexion with the famous [John Dunmore Lang} family who came out on the same boat in 1823.

Offline deborahrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 April 12 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am new to this site.  I am interested in knowing anything further about the William Shields b. 1826.  I am related to the Shields of Ayrshire (Irvine, Newmilns, Galston, Stewarton) and those from Glasgow.  In our tree we have the Frews and Wyllies so would appreciate any information.  Many thanks.

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 11:41 BST (UK) »
The OPRs of Galston -which are missing from the LDS micro film - in 1819 has two Wyllies  mentioned.

Offline deborahrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi and many thanks for the records.  I wonder how many other Galston records are not on LDS?

Regards,
Debbie Rea

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 May 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah, there are a total of 150 births missing in the microfilm records of Galston OPRs,from January 1818 to the 9th of April 1820. If you need any more names checked let me know.

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann
My Ancestors who farmed at Caddell were the McLauchlan family.  They were there until they left to come to England.  At that time, in the 1880'/1890s the agriculture in the east of England was in trouble and workers were leaving to go to the north where there were more jobs available in the mines etc.
Last year I went to Scotland to see where they came from. I have photo's of Caddell Farm and also of Girthill farm which is where my Grandmother came from. It is only about 10 minutes away.
As far as I know there is no connection with the Whyllie family but anything is possible.  The owner of Caddell Farm now found quite a lot of items connected with the McLauchlan family but alas he burnt it all as he thought it was of no value!  I could have cried!!.  He was a very nice man and we had a long chat.
Do contact me if you think we might be able to connect somewhere.  Meanwhile ghood hunting and I will look at the information I have so far.
Jean

Hello Jean,

I am extremely interested to learn from you about the McLauchlans at Caddel Farm .

Thankyou,
Tiffaney
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline bluenoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 January 14 04:09 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the parents of Elisabeth Wylie/Wyllie who married William Shields, Nov. 27, 1824 Stewarton.  They had a son William Shields who was born Apr. 16. 1826.  I have not been able to find out when either parent died but it was before 1850 when the young Wm. came to the US.  I am trying to make a connection of Elisabeth Wylie/Wyllie to the family a John Wyllie.  Thank you.
                                                                                                                                             Hi I'm tracing a John from Dunlop Aryshire Scotland. He had married a Margaret ? I'm  looking for any information on ALEXANDER WYLIE  ............  on 6-7-1791 in Dunlop, Ayreshire, Scotland. His father was JOHN  ............  name was Wylie but I doubt it.  Alexander's siblings were: JEAN, DAVID, JANET, MARY, ELIZABETH, JOHN, ............  graves but no one recalls a Wylie family living in Dunlop save for one gentleman who told me  ............  they had a farm on the Dunlop Estate next to Dunlop House. Any help would be  ......

Offline deborahrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 January 14 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clementina, Tiffaney and any others researching Shields, Dunlops, Wylies of Ayrshire. 

I am related to all of them however I have only just got home after a 24 hour trip from the U.S. to the UK.  Please feel free to email me at * 

Regards,
Debbie
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline bluenoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 January 14 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie I would love to compare notes when you get rested up. I tried to get to your email my yahoo is expired and didn't let me make a new one.I'm searching John and Margaret Wylie that had kids in Dunlop ,ALEXANDER WYLIE  ............  on 6-7-1791 in Dunlop, Ayreshire, Scotland.
Alexander's siblings were: JEAN, DAVID, JANET, MARY, ELIZABETH, JOHN,

Alexander married abt 1801 Janet/Jean Clark/e  born in Outwith?. They had kids in Dunlop, Andrew a farmer on his marriage to (Agnes Pollock daughter of James and Agnes Gilmour.) Alexander and Janet's other kids were Jean, Andrew, Hugh, Elizabeth, John, John not a repeat, and maybe a Robert .

Andrew married Janet in Church of Scotland in Stewarton.They had kids,
Hugh married Margaret Brown. Other family names who married this families were, Jacks of Barrhead, Cunningham's, Mair, Brown and more.any info from anyone appreciated as I have not proof or verifed info.thanks, Barb