Author Topic: Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh) - new website  (Read 2340 times)

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh) - new website
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 August 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry but the website folded a few years back. The upgrade path (required by the code suppliers) became more than just a 'Press this button to upgrade to the latest software version' and was beyond my technical abilities!

Do you have a specific query on the battalion? I might have a relevant paper record, depending on what the query is.

I hope to 'recreate' the website (using easier software) but having researched and written 2 books in the last few years time has been at a premium.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline good

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 August 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,
   Thank you for your reply, I have read your book about the Swansea Pals & just wondered if there was any additional information on the website .The person I was interested in was an A Melmoth whose number I got from your book & from it I could see he was the 29th to enlist .
What intrigued me was the photograph of the non commissioned officers & as he was a Corporal to start with I wondered if he was in the photograph but it was not possible to pick him out .
I know he was wounded in 1916, I believe at Ypres but if anywhere you have any details I would be most grateful . 
good

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 August 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no extra info on Melmoth and I can't see an obvious record on Ancestry, either.

Obviously, I didn't have to research every man for the book though it is something that I might look at in future. Other research and writing permitting...

Was he a relative of yours?

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline good

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again.
Thank you for looking & yes he was my great uncle &   with WW1 being in the spotlight I thought I would try to find out more about him.
good