Author Topic: Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh) - new website  (Read 4116 times)

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh) - new website
« on: Friday 30 March 07 10:03 BST (UK) »
I've recently 'launched' my website on the Swansea Battalion in the Great War.

It contains lots of info as well as the names of 1500 men who served. About 900 of these also have the names of the next of kin and their address at the time of the soldier's enlistment. The site is searchable.

May be worth a look if you're searching for an elusive soldier. And I'm always very happy to receive more info on those who served...

The site is at:

http://swanseabattalion.net/

Happy hunting!

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh) - new website
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 07 14:00 BST (UK) »
Wow, what a good site, I shall be visiting often! but not sure if any of mine were in that battalion...
I have my grandfathers attestation papers (they survived!)
in 1916 originally to Army Reserve B, mobilized, then 4/7/17 posted to Welsh Depot , 11/12/17 posted to 15 Welsh, embarked Southampton 11/12/17 to Rouen. in 1918 he was posted to Yorkshire Regt. But the papers are difficult to read, and there are an awful lot of them. He was discharged unfit.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 07 14:21 BST (UK) »
Glad you liked the site!

The 15th Welsh was the Carmarthen Battalion. With the Swansea Bn (14th) and the 10th and 13th Bns (1st and 2nd Rhondda's) it formed the 114th Infantry Brigade, 38th Welsh Division.

The site covers the main events of the service of those units (focused on the 14th) and my book goes into a bit more detail, but again, focused on the 14th.

Bernard

Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 07 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard,

Great site!

My father (Evan Douglas Wilson, 1896-1957) was from Swansea & served in WW1, but was in the RNVR, as were most of his brothers. However, one brother, (George Felix Wilson, 1900-1970) started off in the Army and was then moved into The Royal Flying Corps as an Observer Officer.

Are you planning to eventually include the other Services on your site, or to concentrate on the Army?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 07 16:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry Romilly, but at present I am only 'doing' the Swansea Battalion as that is my special interest. No plans to cover other Swansea servicemen.

Bernard

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 07 16:56 BST (UK) »

No problem Bernard,

I just thought I'd ask!!

Best Wishes, Romilly
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 March 07 07:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry Romilly, but at present I am only 'doing' the Swansea Battalion as that is my special interest. No plans to cover other Swansea servicemen

But it is a very interesting site and I shall go back to learn more .....
thanks,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 March 07 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Newbie and glad you found it interesting!

Bernard

Offline good

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 August 17 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  Tried your website Bernard but it is in Japanese when I open it , has something happened to It ?
good