Author Topic: Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh) - new website  (Read 4119 times)

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh) - new website
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 August 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry but the website folded a few years back. The upgrade path (required by the code suppliers) became more than just a 'Press this button to upgrade to the latest software version' and was beyond my technical abilities!

Do you have a specific query on the battalion? I might have a relevant paper record, depending on what the query is.

I hope to 'recreate' the website (using easier software) but having researched and written 2 books in the last few years time has been at a premium.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline good

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 August 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,
   Thank you for your reply, I have read your book about the Swansea Pals & just wondered if there was any additional information on the website .The person I was interested in was an A Melmoth whose number I got from your book & from it I could see he was the 29th to enlist .
What intrigued me was the photograph of the non commissioned officers & as he was a Corporal to start with I wondered if he was in the photograph but it was not possible to pick him out .
I know he was wounded in 1916, I believe at Ypres but if anywhere you have any details I would be most grateful . 
good

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 August 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no extra info on Melmoth and I can't see an obvious record on Ancestry, either.

Obviously, I didn't have to research every man for the book though it is something that I might look at in future. Other research and writing permitting...

Was he a relative of yours?

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline good

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again.
Thank you for looking & yes he was my great uncle &   with WW1 being in the spotlight I thought I would try to find out more about him.
good