Author Topic: Lady Jocelyn Ship & SWARBRICK  (Read 15266 times)

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
Re: Lady Jocelny Ship & Swarbrick
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 06:43 BST (UK) »
HI,

There are 23 SWARBRICK listed at www.oldfriends.co.nz

Cheers
Del
Saunders/Sanders,Owen,Owens,Darrach,Wilson, Cardon,Gurney,Edwards, Holmes,Smith, Ohlson,Homewood,Shaw,Semple,Merrill,Smithyman,McCallum,Winslade,Morton,Hill,Donahoe,Inglis, Moore, Morgan, Lawrence/Laurence, Owen, Owens, Skelton,Steele, Caldwell, Wood, Parish,Read,Donaldson, Hill,Farren,Carnley, Bradford, Dugard, Lindsell, Restall, Plus many many more surnames, varied countries

Offline jenn s

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 July 07 03:31 BST (UK) »
hi, I have just seen your message while scrolling thru the Seddon messages. 

My great grandmother came to New Zealand to look after her two brothers who had recently sailed here, her name was Sarah Louisa Swarbrick.  I am unsure of the date she came to New Zealand or the name of the ship.   Sarah Louisa Swarbrick and her 2 brothers settled in Hamilton.  I know 1 brother was called Arthur, he was born in 1851 and married in 1881 to Adriana Henrika Pieters of Rotterdam,  they were married in England, and went onto have 5 children.  I'm not sure who the other brother was.  The brothers set up their own legal practice in Hamilton.

Sarah Louisa met her husband in New Zealand and married him in 1886, his name was Robert Seddon.  They went on to have 4 children.

Sarah and Arthur were part of a family of 13 children.  Their parents were Samuel Swarbrick (he had something to do with the railways) and Sarah Fawcett. 

Other children in the family were called:- George William Fawcett, Mary Harriet, Emily Jane, Florence, Elenor Maud, Henry Herbert, Frederick, Alice Maud, Charles Fawcett, Baby boy, and Benjamin.

Surnames of those they married include:- Smith, Wilson, Fawcett....

Don't know if their is a connection, let me know.

Jenn

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 July 07 08:23 BST (UK) »
I worked with a woman Swarbrick years back... few in Canterbury... they have an earthmoving business to I think....  it's not an uncommon name either.   She's on oldfriends.co.nz to... could maybe try doing searches on that site and might come up with some hits also.

Cheers
Sarndra
www.sarndra.com
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 July 07 08:25 BST (UK) »
HI,

There are 23 SWARBRICK listed at www.oldfriends.co.nz

Cheers
Del

Oh snappers Del LOL..sorry just seen your post.

Oh, and Andy... the woman i worked with worked at CBL computers (now Datacom), Christchurch in 1978 - 82 and while working there married a David Swarbrick.  They had two sons.

Cheers
Sarndra
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline murray61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 July 07 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was raised in Hamilton and I remember Swarbrick Park.

The Hamilton Swarbricks are geographically closer to Tauranga than the ones mentioned above in Hawkes Bay.

Here is a link to the history of the Swarbrick & Swarbrick Solicitors in Hamilton:
http://www.swarbrickdixon.co.nz/history.html

Good luck

Offline jenn s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you so much for your information re the Swarbricks.  For some reason or other my family did not have any contact with their family so I have very little information.  My great Grandfather was Robert Seddon, he married a Swarbrick, and I believe it was his Seddon family who also gave Seddon Park in Hamilton.  We are not related to the PM. 

Jenn

Offline te puke kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lady Jocelyn Ship & Swarbrick
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 October 08 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am researching the passengers on the Lady Jocelyn (which arrived Tauranga 2 January 1881) who went on to settle in Te Puke.  This is for a book on the families and people of the area.  On board the Lady Jocelyn were
SWARBRICK
Alice 7, Daniel 5, Emily 3, Harriett 11, Isabella 8, John G 2, Jonathan 6, Jonathan,
Oswald 4m, Sarah Mrs 36,
SWARBRICK William, Prudence Mrs 30, Jocelyn (male born 1 Jan 1881)

Jonathan and his family ended up in Gisborne.  His brother William died in 1891 and is buried at Waikumete cemetery, Auckland.  It looks like baby Jocelyn Jenkins SWARBRICK who was born the day before they arrived off the coast of Tauranga died in 1888 aged 7 years and is also buried at Waikumete.  I would love to exchange information on this family.

Also this was printed in the Bay of Plenty Times newspaper:
SEDDON – SWARBRICK - On the 12th August at St Peters Hamilton, by the Rev R O’C Biggs, Robert Seddon of Tauranga to Sarah Louisa, third daughter of Samuel Swarbrick, The Cedars, Tottenham, London. [Waikato Times, Tues 17 Aug 1886 + Bay of Plenty Times, 21 Aug 1886, p2]. 

I don't think that this Swarbrick family (ie the Hamilton solicitors) are related to the Te Puke/Gisborne family.  Robert and Sarah Louisa are buried at the Hamilton East cemetery.

Yours
Christine Clement
Te Puke (Kiwifruit Capital of the World)
New Zealand
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sooty/
cmclement@clear.net.nz

Offline balloonatic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 December 08 04:36 GMT (UK) »
My maiden name is Swarbrick and I live in the Waikato NZ. My great grandfather was Arthur who is mentioned in a previous posting my grandfather was Henry Augustus who married Dorothy Mary Seddon. My father Roger Louis married my mother Dorothy Mary Court in 1950. Both my father and grandfather and great grandfather practiced law in Te Awamutu and then my elder brother Richard joined my father and still practices today in the firm now known as Swarbricks having practiced law in NZ since 1893 - I am one of the 23 mentioned in oldfriends along with my nephew James -
Yours
Kate Jones

Offline te puke kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lady Jocelyn Ship & Swarbrick
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 December 08 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Kate

Te Puke does have a connection with the Waikato Swarbrick's.   Robert Seddon (c1859-1906) married Sarah Louisa Swarbrick in 1886 in Hamilton.

They had three sons and one daughter as far as I can make out.  There is a Seddon Street in Te Puke named in honour of Robert.  Please contact me if you require any further information.

Yours
Christine Clement