Author Topic: Did your ancestor come from Stokenchurch?  (Read 46416 times)

Offline edencars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Did your ancestor come from Stokenchurch?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 January 10 08:22 GMT (UK) »
From about 1830 my family members from Ewelme moved further and further away but not in big leaps, Chips Farm in Stokenchurch Name of HEATH was one place but then got nearer to London, Another farm in Middlesex had a row of cottages for the staff called Heath Row, always wondered if Heathrow derived from that?
Heath Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire/Berkshire

Offline opossum167

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 January 10 14:58 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors were from Stokenchurch.
Surnames are usually Bird (huge numbers of them!) White Holland Stratford.

Just wondering if anyone could help with information on Arthur Thomas Bird b. 1880 Stokenchurch who married Isabella Larner 29 Dec 1902 at the Primitive Methodist Chapel in Stokenchurch? Apart from this marriage I cannot find any documents about them or their descendants from that date onwards.

Thanks

Offline opossum167

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 January 10 15:02 GMT (UK) »
By the way I can go one further.
From roots in Stokenchurch my family ended up in Tasmania where I was born. But full circles happen and I now live in Herts- not too far from my roots.

Offline ashers61

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 March 10 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have some information that may help you, I found it whilst searching my 'Ashby' family tree. I live in stokenchurch and have traced my part of the Ashby family back to the mid 1700 so far all come from stokenchurch & radnage.
I had problems trying to attach the document - if you e-mail me at (*) I will e-mail it by return

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline gilesstacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
a great-great-great-great- uncle Elisha Giles, born Icomb, Gloucestereshire married a Sarah Bird from Stokenchurch in 1827. In the 1841and following Lewknor censuses, they are at Lewknor, farming at "Vicar`s Bottom Farm". I got Lewknor Parish Registers but found Elisha and Sarah plus kids only from 1838 following. So I am assuming that they were in Stokenchurch between 1827 and 1838 with children Ann (circa 1828), William, circa 1830, Elizabeth(circa 1833), Louisa circa 1834, and George, circa 1836 all being baptised in Stokenchurch?
I am also looking for Elisha`s parents - William and Hannah Giles....whether they are in the burial records, perhaps...
can anyone help? thanks
giles stacey

Offline allisont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
From Ox FHS PRs CD
Baptisms
30.8.1829 William  s Elijah & Sarah, farmer Lewknor
23.8.1832 Elizabeth Martha d Elijah & Sarah, farmer
27.4.1834 Loisa d Elijah & Sarah, farmer Lewknor
11.10.1835 George s Elisha & Elizabeth, farmer Lewknor

Last one doesn't quite match the rest.

Can't see any Giles in the Stokenchurch burials index. Do you know approx when they died, can have a proper look later.
Please note: All Census look ups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bucks - Blackman, Elstone, Poole, Rodwell, Bates, Redhead, Lane
Berks - Clark, Redhead
Glos - Kitchener, Higgins
Oxon/London - Burchill, Holiday
Yorks - Crowcroft, Lazenby, Mudd, Jackson, Kiteley

Offline gilesstacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 18:58 BST (UK) »
 :) many many thanks for this...this is a huge help!! George having Elizabeth as a mother is a bit strange...either Elisha had been a naughty boy or was an error?
would you happen to know anything about this "Vicar`s Bottom Farm"? - was Elisha farmer at the same place all the time and the parish boundries changed or something?
I would be also extremely interested to find out how Mr Elisha became a farmer (according to 1861 census with 269 acres and employing 6 labourers)...he is a big exception to my usual long line of illiterate ag labs....I couldn`t find any records on Oxfordshire archives directly about that farm...apart from the fact that the farmhouse and a barn are apparently listed buildings...

I was hoping to find Elisha's and my direct ancestor John's parents in the Lewknor area...there is a William Giles death in 1821 in Lewknor but would make him born 1745 and thus 50 yrs old when had first (proven) child in Icomb, which seems a little unlikely. Interesting though is that the burial entry for this William Giles says "Vicar's Bottom" (which made me laugh...)....but there is a gap in the records in Lewknor proper between his death 1821 and then Elisha and Sarah having twins in 1838 which is also given with Vicar`s Bottom...

so my main mystery of William and Hannah Giles remains a bit of a mystery, but my gut feeling tells me there is a good reason, ie. relatives lived in Lewknor area, that at least the two brothers moved to Lewknor and perhaps the whole family.......

if you do find anything else, I would be extremely grateful....perhaps a William and Hannah Giles marriage...that would be the brick-wall destroyer!!
thanks again, all the best
giles   

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
I have a Matthias Butler in my tree born in Chesterton in about 1788 and I do know a few Matthias Butler's were born in Stokenchurch but have not found a connection yet.

I have an Oxfordshire born ancestor who ended up in London, married there then lived in her husbands home county of Essex. He was a waterman.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 20:27 BST (UK) »
Also it is a huge mistake to assume that most people stayed within close proximity to their birthplaces other than to emigrate or to go to London. I have an ancestor who moved from mid Suffolk to south Essex and one from Oxfordshire to Sussex. I also had one who moved from Westmoreland to Durham and this was about 1780.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain