Author Topic: Did your ancestor come from Stokenchurch?  (Read 46340 times)

Offline SusieHK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did your ancestor come from Stokenchurch?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 July 10 07:18 BST (UK) »
My husband's relatives include a raft of people from Stokenchurch. So far we have found some 27 from Sokenchurch itself  with births between1680 and1867. The male line is Bird but the female line incorporates Biggs, Styles, Baker,,Steptoe and House.
In addition to this there are a lot of connections to other villages in the area including Chinnor (mainly Bird and Hopkins and a marriage between Styles and Baker) a couple of the marriages took place in Aston Rowant and there was a good sprinkling of Birds in Ibstone mainly in the 1700's.
Other places that come up include Crowell, Chenies, Oakley, Radnage, Bledlow, Flackwell Heath, Beacons Bottom, Great Milton, Tetsworth, Bicester and Wycombe.
Eventually John Bird (1874) moved out to Camberwell with a Jane Picton from Chalfont St. Giles. Her forebears were Chapman. We are quite short on source data for marriages and for burials though we have some in Stokenchurch. The earliest was a Francis Biggs in 1736 and the latest an Alfred Bird in 1926.
The Birds seemed to have been involved in woodwork in one way or another throughout and my husbands grandfather was no exception. He worked almost all his working life for Lilleywhite Stroud and in later years made high quality sports equipment including Tennis Raquets and Cricket bats.

Offline tekaybe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have Messengers and Stratfords mainly from Stokenchurch... Vast majority of them didn't go very far from home!

Offline gcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Patannk - just seen this thread.  I have information that is not entirely convincing, that my grandfather Edward (b. 1898) was the son of George Rogers, b. Stokenchurch 1860-61, possibly married Elizabeth Bradbury 1880.  Have you come across these names?  Thanks 

Offline Perro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 13 April 12 22:56 BST (UK) »
I Have a photo of a Butchers van which has on it A.J. Saw Butchers of Stokenchurch....any interest

Offline Perro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 14 April 12 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hope this photo helps track this family down....the lady who has it amongst her photo's is a Jones by birth....she also has a Saw's Grocer shop in Chiswick too any help would be aprecaited.....

Offline bethrogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 22 April 12 09:36 BST (UK) »
hello GCB
George Rogers and Elizabeth Bradbury had eleven surviving children and there was an Edward born in 1898 in High Wycombe, as they moved to HW to work in the furniture factories. He married Hilda Parker.
I am another of the great grandchildren!

Offline bethrogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 22 April 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
I'm descended from a family (Rogers) who were in Stokenchurch from at least the 1790s and were certainly in the 1841 census.  From 1841, Joseph (Ag Lab) and Ann Rogers' eleven children started to disperse. My branch (son George, who also had 11 children) didn't get very far - High Wycombe!  Among my great uncles and aunts, many stayed in HW. One emigrated to Australia, a few got a bit further along the Thames Valley, some are unknown.

Offline gcb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 07 May 12 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Beth, thanks for your reply.
Obviously I knew Edward well, and you're right, he worked in the furniture factories, and lived in HW until he died.  But strangely I don't recall meeting any of his brothers or sisters, although I knew many of his wife Hilda's siblings.

Do you know much about Elizabeth Bradley?

Offline bethrogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 07 May 12 17:56 BST (UK) »
George Rogers was married to Elizabeth Bradbury who was a lacemaker from Ibstone. I think that it is mis-spelt Bradley on one of the census returns. There are two generations beforehand who lived in Stokenchurch - George's father was Joseph Rogers (wife Ann Edgeworth from Bibury, Gloucestershire) and his father was Samuel Rogers (wife Ann Taylor).