Author Topic: Did your ancestor come from Stokenchurch?  (Read 46345 times)

Offline Mo C

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Did your ancestor come from Stokenchurch?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 August 07 09:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply.  From my notes my family were members of the Independent Church in Stokenchurch as were the Bennells. That church has been knocked down now and Lloyds Bank occupies the site.  It was founded in 1823 with help from members of the congregation.  John Clough Dudley and Mary Ann Jones were married in St. Peter and St. Pauls because I believe everyone , with the exception of the Quakers and Jews had to be, their witnesses were James Jones (brother of Mary Ann?) Cicilie Strange and Phillip Strange. I got a print out at a Family History Fair  organized by Bucks FHS. I must go over to Aylesbury Records Office soon, they have so much in there. I've been somewhat disorganized since my husband died some two years ago when I let things lapse.  I must pull my socks up and get back to business.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Cheers, Maureen.
Dudley - Kingswinford
Audin - Yorkshire
Phillips - Dublin
Brady - Dublin

Offline patannk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 August 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
I too have plans to go up to Aylesbury, to check out other nearby parishes in Bucks, for my missing relatives.
I spent a day in Oxford, a year or two ago (at the Oxfordshire Studies Centre) and found their online indexes very helpful.  There was just too much to take in, in such a short time?

Have you read the book "Stokenchurch in Pespective" editors: CJH Starey and PG Viccars. It gives one a very interesting insight into village life over the years.
I remember seeing a John Bennell, listed as one of the members of the first Parish Council in 1894.... the book also mentioned  Bennells in the early minute books of the Ancient Order of Foresters.
There are some lovely photos of the lace making and chair making etc in the book too.

It is perfectly natural that your life would get turned upside down, after losing your husband; it takes quite a while to find out who you are and where you want to be going, after such a loss.
I am sure you will soon be hot on the trail, of some fascinating, elusive ancestors?

I was interested to hear that your Stokenchurchers didn't wander too far from home... only as far as High Wycombe.
Many of the Dobbins clan went to London, as did many other families, according to the 1851 census.
I recently heard from someone, who is descended from one of them that made it to Brisbane, Australia!

I see that your John Dudley married on Christmas Day?
I used to think the idea was quite romantic, until someone enlightened me, that the vicar's services were free on Christmas Day!
 So now I smile when I see how many baptisms etc are recorded for that day..... :)
Dobbins, Pitkin, Shepherd and White, Stokenchurch.
Clack, Berkshire. Kingwell, Cornwall and London. Wood, Surrey.

Offline Jaqy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 September 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
My 2nd Great Grandmother moved from Stokenchurch to Leeds, West Yorkshire.  She moved there with her husband who was born in Radnage.
Arnott (East Yorkshire)
Robbins (Gloucestershire)
Lewis
Ibbotson (Sheffield)
Cavill (South Yorkshire / Derbyshire)
Welch / Welsh
Butler
Lofthouse
Skinner
Strange
Wood
Meanock (Oldham)

Offline patannk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 September 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
What were their names?
I can then list where she went to, when she left Stokenchurch....
Dobbins, Pitkin, Shepherd and White, Stokenchurch.
Clack, Berkshire. Kingwell, Cornwall and London. Wood, Surrey.

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 September 09 09:25 BST (UK) »
My Bennell's were from Radnage and some moved to Stokenchurch in the 1800's. I have the Parish Registers on Disc from the OFHS.

My gt x 3 grandfather, Edmund, moved from Stokenchurch to Manchester in 1877ish with his newly married second wife. As far as I have researched alot of his cousins (20 or so) moved too, along with tons of other rellies. They were mainly Chair Makers and set up their own business. I can recall one was named 'Jonah Bennell & Son Ltd'.

Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 September 09 09:28 BST (UK) »
Have you read the book "Stokenchurch in Pespective" editors: CJH Starey and PG Viccars. It gives one a very interesting insight into village life over the years.
I remember seeing a John Bennell, listed as one of the members of the first Parish Council in 1894.... the book also mentioned  Bennells in the early minute books of the Ancient Order of Foresters.
There are some lovely photos of the lace making and chair making etc in the book too.

Where can I buy this ?!?!    My rellies are in this book !

Added - Everyone has Bennell's! I am the gt grandson of a Bennell! We are all related somehow........

Offline nessahath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 January 10 10:47 GMT (UK) »
I once read that most people rarely moved more than 20 miles from where they were born, before the 1841 census; the exception being a move to London or across the seas, for the most adventurous?

I have been looking at the 1841 Stokenchurch families, to see whether they moved away and where they went to..... and what was their occupation?
Most of the men were Ag. Labs or in the chair making industry, while the women were doing lacemaking. When they moved away, did they continue in these occupations or did they try something new?

I would love to hear from anyone who has "Stokenchurch Siblings", especially those who moved away and across the seas in the 19th century.
 ::)

Hi my Dads family were Stokenchurch born and bred, my Dad is not very good at remembering names etc I am looking for the Ashby family that is my Dads, Dad and the Holloway family my Dads Mums family, I believe my Grampy George William Ashby was born in 1907 he dies in 1966 in a carr accident on Dashwood Hill with his son Ronald who was also killed, any information on the Ashby's or Holloway's would be great. Thanks

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 January 10 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi nessahath,

I have your grandfather's Monumental Inscription here. I have added it below.

Hope it helps.

Matt

~~~

No. 72 - Churchyard Extension, Stokenchurch. Open Book, kerbstone and stone plaque laid flat.
In Memory of a loving Husband and Father George William Asby, Died Tragically 28th Oct 1966, Aged 59 years.
On Plaque:
Also Philip, a darling son and brother died 17 Apr 1972 Aged 17 years. 'Safe in the arms of Jesus'. R. I. P.

And - No. 73 - Churchyard Extension. Open Book with kerbstone.
In loving Memory of a dearest husband and father, Ronald George Ashby, Died tragically 28th Oct 1966 aged 36 Years. 'God Bless'.

Offline nessahath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 January 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Thank you for that

Regards

Vanessa