Author Topic: Did your ancestor come from Stokenchurch?  (Read 46341 times)

Offline Lrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did your ancestor come from Stokenchurch?
« Reply #45 on: Monday 16 July 12 12:41 BST (UK) »
Dear Beth           i checked the names on little marlow chuch Roll of Honour Plaque for the 1WW  and they are  BERT ROGERS.    FREDERICK  ROGERS.     OWEN  ROGERS.   WILLIAM  ROGERS.     I rung the parish office and asked if they had records of any sort about these people they all been sent to aylesbury. Who in aylesbury do i ring i am new to this family history has you have probably guessed  SO i apologize now for anythink i am doing wrong all the best len.                 

Offline bethrogers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 18:05 BST (UK) »
hello Len
You should contact the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/archives/centre_for_buckinghamshire_studies.page
which is the archive and family history centre at Aylesbury Museum.
I agree with GCB - I think the Little Marlow family are at least fourth cousins, as they originally
came from Princes Risborough rather than Stokenchurch.
It doesn't help that Rogers was a common name in South Bucks
in the 19th century - the commonest in some parishes. The case of the Little Marlow family
in WW1 is particularly sad - they lost four sons in four different battles. It is difficult for us now to
imagine what it must have been like.
I haven' t been to the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies myself, but I've heard that they have a lot of
interesting stuff. I would like to see the school and chapel records for Stokenchurch to spot any ancestors'
activities.
One thing you should check - until 1896, Stokenchurch was officially in Oxfordshire - so make sure that
the records you want to examine really are in Aylesbury rather than Oxford.
Good luck!
Beth

Offline starbug501

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 24 February 14 01:34 GMT (UK) »
My family in Stokenchurch were Holmes, Adkins, Bennels,Messenger
My Grandfather farmed Chalk Farm which has since been pulled down and is now  housing estate and the Adkins were teachers at the school(originally from Warwickshire)
Some of my family still live in Stokenchurch.Anyone else searching these names.Thank you

Also Britnells

Offline starbug501

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 24 February 14 02:56 GMT (UK) »
My family in Stokenchurch were Holmes, Adkins, Bennels,Messenger
My Grandfather farmed Chalk Farm which has since been pulled down and is now  housing estate and the Adkins were teachers at the school(originally from Warwickshire)
Some of my family still live in Stokenchurch.Anyone else searching these names.Thank you

Also Britnells

Offline kimlorna

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 30 January 15 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi nessahath,

I have your grandfather's Monumental Inscription here. I have added it below.

Hope it helps.

Matt

Hi i know this is an old post but i have just found this site.
George Ashby was my Dads uncle, and i remember him showing us where the accident happen.
My Grandparents from both side of my family are from the village, we are Ashby, Lacey. Greens and Lindseys.
Kim
~~~

No. 72 - Churchyard Extension, Stokenchurch. Open Book, kerbstone and stone plaque laid flat.
In Memory of a loving Husband and Father George William Asby, Died Tragically 28th Oct 1966, Aged 59 years.
On Plaque:
Also Philip, a darling son and brother died 17 Apr 1972 Aged 17 years. 'Safe in the arms of Jesus'. R. I. P.

And - No. 73 - Churchyard Extension. Open Book with kerbstone.
In loving Memory of a dearest husband and father, Ronald George Ashby, Died tragically 28th Oct 1966 aged 36 Years. 'God Bless'.

Offline Sharmane Watt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 04:23 BST (UK) »
I have just found some hand written papers showing George Biggs of Strokenchurch, Bucks, England was a cousin to Edwin William Cripps.  George was a poet, partly to fill in time as a POW during World War I.  He had a small volume published.  He was a proprietor of a chair making establishment at High Wycombe, the area Windsor and other famed furniture was made.  During WW II the government took it over, and among other things manufactured ski's for the Russians.  George had no sons to carry on the business.
George Biggs was a cousin to my husband's great grandfather Edwin William Cripps who was born April 3, 1867 at Harefield, Middlesex, England.
Any information on how George Biggs and Edwin William Cripps are related would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Sharmane Watt - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Offline Wayne1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 21 January 17 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi nessahath,

I have your grandfather's Monumental Inscription here. I have added it below.

Hope it helps.

Matt

Hi i know this is an old post but i have just found this site.
George Ashby was my Dads uncle, and i remember him showing us where the accident happen.
My Grandparents from both side of my family are from the village, we are Ashby, Lacey. Greens and Lindseys.
Kim
~~~

No. 72 - Churchyard Extension, Stokenchurch. Open Book, kerbstone and stone plaque laid flat.
In Memory of a loving Husband and Father George William Asby, Died Tragically 28th Oct 1966, Aged 59 years.
On Plaque:
Also Philip, a darling son and brother died 17 Apr 1972 Aged 17 years. 'Safe in the arms of Jesus'. R. I. P.

And - No. 73 - Churchyard Extension. Open Book with kerbstone.
In loving Memory of a dearest husband and father, Ronald George Ashby, Died tragically 28th Oct 1966 aged 36 Years. 'God Bless'.

I am the son of Ronald George Ashby and spent my early life in Stokenchurch

Offline JoVickery

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
My Great Grandfather was Frederick William Bird HUNT, he was born in Stokenchurch in 1885. I think his mother was called Fanny – and it is possible her maiden name was BIRD...

In 1911 he had moved to High Wycombe, and his trade was a Bandswayer.

I believe he had a few siblings – and came from a farming family. I wonder if he is related to the Hunt farm in Stonor for instance?
I would love to find any more information on HUNT/BIRD families in Stokenchurch etc and see if I can piece together some more family history.
Many thanks in advance for any help!

Offline PaulMeulen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 09 February 19 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

My grandparents had a farm (maybe two) in Stokenchurch but i have struggled to find out which one it was. I think they got the farm from my great grandfather on the Bennell side of the family.

My granparents were
William Joseph James Clarke (Born in Turville) 1910-2007
Mary Susan Bennell 1914-1977

I believe they got the farm from
Edwin Bennell 1873-1943

I know Edwin was married to Rose Hannah Hunt but apart from this i have yet to find more details of their lives. This is just the start of my journey so if anyone has any info or advice for this newbie it would be greatfully received.