Author Topic: How do i search the electoral roll for free  (Read 143264 times)

Offline De grijze

• --
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do i search the electoral roll for free
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 August 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
 ;) Hi Huckleberry,

thanks for the information

regards
Luc

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 August 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
Quote:

"What if your living relatives don't want to be found?"

Look for the box on the declaration form that the council send your that reads:

"Edited Register"

Tick the box if you do not wish to appear on the edited register

That means that you will only be shown on the locally held rolls and not on 192.com etc,
 If you check the online sites fewer people are on after 2002

Unfortunately many older people do not understand the importance of the statement on the electoral form which they MUST BY LAW complete.  Nor the intrusive uses that sites like FindmyPast, 192.com etc can be put to.  If you think for a minute can you not see it is possibly not your past but someone else's present life you appear to be researching? 

Genealogists have a duty to protect the living from abuses, which is why on this site so many posts are edited to remove direct references to living persons.

Thanks for the lesson though, I will make sure I tick the box as I don't want just any Tom Dick or Harry turning up on my doorstep!  ;D

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,479016.0.html
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
Fifer - you have no way of knowing why this poster wishes to contact a living relative, so now that you have made your point, please stop.

Thank you.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Huckleberry

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Arranroots,

I did not think for one moment that a reply from me was necessary, An experienced researcher will trace living relatives or ex workmates etc with ease. I have a surname of which only 48 are on the GRO register since 1837  - It is pretty easy to find my lot - John Smith's proves a lot harder.

Offline De grijze

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 August 10 18:29 BST (UK) »
:) Dear all, thanks for the comments and for all information, hints and websites.

Cheers
Luc

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Old Electoral registers?
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 November 12 21:51 GMT (UK) »
    I would like to find ancestors of mine on an electoral register but they have both been dead for many years, so this isn't a Live Search and there is no such complication with my search.     

I know the exact address where they lived in the late forties & early fifties because I visited them and I also know that their last child was born elsewhere in 1929, so I want to search Electoral Registers for the village, which is in South Lanarkshire - for the period 1930 to 1950.     

I would like to pinpoint, or get close to  the date they (my father's mother and her children) went there.    There is a mystery about when and how they got that house.      Trying to find out if they owned it or rented it, or inherited it but need an approx date that they went there.     

Is there a site where I could see on-line the old Scottish Electoral rolls?   Would they only give the name of the head of the house, or do they give the names of all occupants?

Offline velpremus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 November 12 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that you contact:

http://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/info/427/libraries_and_archives/588/records_and_archives/7

archives@southlanarkshire.gov.uk

To see where the records are held and whether they offer a look-up service.

Offline neolithic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 November 12 18:28 GMT (UK) »
your local family history centre for free ;)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Electoral registers?
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 November 12 22:50 GMT (UK) »
  Is there a site where I could see on-line the old Scottish Electoral rolls?   Would they only give the name of the head of the house, or do they give the names of all occupants?

The Electoral Roll will give all registered electors. But that depends on the head of household completing the registration form with everyone on it. It will not include minors, foreign nationals or those who are disenfranchised for whatever reason. Recent Rolls will include EU citizens though I don't know what proportion of them actually register. Commonwealth citizens are also included.

Things get complicated when people have two addresses, as for example university students do. They may well be registered in two places (which is perfectly legal: voting in two Parliamentary or European constituencies is not.)
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan