Author Topic: Ice cream sellers and street musicians  (Read 118668 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ice cream sellers and street musicians
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Enjoyed the photos, my wifes father came from Lancaster, and he had a tenuous relation to the Ginnochio family, Anthony b. 1874, m. 1894, Mary Ann Muckelt, b. 1875, Bradford , her father William Muckelt b. 1848 Lancaster  d.1875 Skipton was the first of three  husbands who married Isabella Parkinson b. 1850  d.1913 Lancaster, she was the grandmother of my father in law. I have more info and if anyone would like to cross check and compare  notes, it is always nice to corroborate .
                                                    bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline Bagsyb1954

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Monday 27 November 17 09:47 GMT (UK) »
 Have been trying to trace my Grandmothers family for many years and have now Established her Uncle Donald Marshall Lodged with a Gregorio Bacigalupo in 1871 in Portsmouth.  Gregorio was a Licenced Victualler  from Italy. Now seeing this link with Street Musicians I can see the Connection as Donald was one. He was born in Liverpool in 1847 and went on to Eventually set up the Royal Osbourne Minstrels in the Isle of Wight in 1879 and continued until around 1892/3 It appears Joe Morley  the Banjo player was part of the group. Donald lived on the Island  from then until his death on 27 December 1919 at the age of 72. He had 10  children., 9 boys and one girl with Mary Jane Pilcher who came from COWES

Offline Tagtaglia182

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, First post.
I am also interested in some of the Family names mentioned. Especially Tartaglia and their story,
I have gathered a lot of information on Tartag`s Gloucestershire but still looking for more.
If you/ anyone can get in touch

Offline Tagtaglia182

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, Jamie
New to this site I don't know why its taken me so long to find it, we have been in contact before.
Have you changed your phone number?.
Can update you on Tartaglia`s of Gloucester/Cheltenham.

Offline danbonino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Friday 18 February 22 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sparing the time to post the list of musicians.

I recognise all but one surname name - yes, musicians were much enjoyed by the majority in Cumbria / Cumberland - North Lancashire, where they paid to hear a tune.  I have details of how much they earned, and it was good money - today we buy a CD to enjoy at home, back then an organ grinder often with a monkey would entertain.

They became so numerous by the early 1900s that laws came into force to curtail their numbers.
Sadly, many were abused including an expectant Italian girl who was assisting but was kicked in her stomach in Keswick by an ungrateful person (the story got into the papers - I have many thousands of stories in our archive).

In Scotland they were not permitted at any time and so no organ grinders appeared in Dumfries & Galloway.

Many thanks - Paul

Hi Paulo

i think your project is amazing.
In the course of your research have you come across the name Dominico Bonino? He was my gx3 grandfather. He was initially a figure maker in Dublin in the 1850a but ended up as an ice cream man in Glasgow and Greenock in the 1870s-1890s. He probably hailed from Chiavari in Liguria. Arrived in Socer in 1842.

My other great x 3 grandfather was Jacapo Basquale Cheverini. He lived in Dublin and Belfast and was a street musician. I have a hunch that Cheverini - surely an adaptation from Chiavarini - was an adopted name that might also be a clue to his place of origin. This is a story about him from Belfast....

Dan

Offline danbonino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Monday 21 February 22 17:11 GMT (UK) »
My Capaldi Ancestors came over from Cassino in the late 1800's to the UK as Musicians.
Looking at records, they spent some time in Edinburgh where there trade seemed to be Confectioners and Restauraters, but in England and Ireland they were Musicians.
Majority of the Italians they were around were Musicians, such Families as:

Tedesco
Salera
Arpino
Caringi
Macari
Colacicco
Di Tommaso
Coletta
D'Agostino
Di Ciacca
Pacitto
Innelli
Risi
Pinchera
Ricci
Rotonda
Tartaglia
Tomasso
Velardo

Hi

If you look at the 1881 census the Pacittos, Mandarolas and three Capaldi brothers were all staying at the same boarding house in Bordesley Rd Birmingham. They all came from Frosinone region and there were various marriages between the families.

Offline Michael Craig

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 21:32 BST (UK) »
Interest in any information to John Valente born 1875 married i believe Margaret Taylor 1876 in 1911 maybe under johann Valente

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Thursday 05 May 22 16:16 BST (UK) »
Interest in any information to John Valente born 1875 married i believe Margaret Taylor 1876 in 1911 maybe under johann Valente

New thread about John Valente & family by Michael.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=861818
Cowban