Author Topic: Ice cream sellers and street musicians  (Read 118045 times)

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ice cream sellers and street musicians
« Reply #54 on: Monday 04 May 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
Devote
Forte

Italian Ice Cream Sellers.

My family name is connected to both Ice Cream making and street musicians.

In Manchester there was a Devote family who in the 1881 lived at Richmond Street Manchester.  John Devote was head of the household born 1847 and his occupation was Ice Cream Hawker born Italy.  Also living there were John Forty 1859 occupation Ice Cream Hawker, born Italy.

In the 1891 and 1901 Census John Devote was living at 270 Oldham Road, Manchester, occupations being Confectioner and Confectioner Shopkeeper respectively.

Though they share my family name and my grandmother used to say they used to visit the Devotes in Manchester I have yet to find a family link apart from the name.

Italian Street Musicians

My 3rd great grandfather Jacob Devote born Italy was a Street Organ Grinder in 1841 (child’s birth certificate).    On later birth certificates of more children he put his occupation as Musician 1844 and 1852.  All the records for him are in  Wales and each child was born in a different town before he settled in Pembrokeshire by 1861.

His great grandson was the first person to sell ice cream on the streets of Pembroke!
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 04 May 09 13:35 BST (UK) »
John & Emma Devote are still at Oldham road Manchester late 1910 early 1912
Migky ;)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 04 May 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
In 1927 there is:

John Devote. Ice cream dealer.
2A Queens road, Harperhuy.

John Devote. Shopkeeper.
270&272 Oldham road Manchester

Migky  ;)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 04 May 09 13:50 BST (UK) »
John & Emma died and are buried in Southern cemetery Manchester. Along with other family members.

06/06/1933 John Devote Southern Cemetery

02/01/1936 Emma Devote Southern Cemetery

Roman Catholic Section D58

Migky  ;)

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 04 May 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that information.

My grandmother married into the Devote family in 1922, Emma died in 1935 and I think John died later.   They had 5 daughters I think so I haven't managed to trace them.  

It's a shame I can't get a family link.
Devote/o/i/a/ee - Italy - PembrokeMorris - Pembroke Dock 1786Wignall - London - 1800JonesMaesteg

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 04 May 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
Buried 02/01/1936
Emma Devote Southern Cemetery
Age 80 widow 272 Oldham road

Buried 06/06/1933
John Devote Southern Cemetery
Age 86 Shopkeeper 270 Oldham road.

You sure they are not yours?

Migky  ;)

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 04 May 09 14:32 BST (UK) »
Ha ha.   Great.  Yes I wish they were, but even though my grandmother said she used to visit them I can't tie them in.

I have their wedding certificate (1874).  He has put his father down as Andrew Devote a farmer.  I have no connection with an Andrew Devote.   What is strange is his occupation on the wedding certificate is Asphalter, but I have yet to find him on the 1871 Census.

My Italian ( Devote) was born c1820 and he had  a son called John Devote (1844).   I had thought he might be a nephew maybe of Jacob as this John was born c1847 Italy.   Have no way to prove anything.  Except he was not the son of my Jacob.  If you know what I mean.

My Jacob Devote's father was John too.

There were a few Devote families that settled here from Italy.  We don't seem to match up.  I think the name was originally Devoto

Thanks again for all the dates and info.   

Steven

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 04 May 09 14:48 BST (UK) »
It is a shame there not yours, as for the asphalter been down as trade. I would say, you would do any kind of work when you arrive in a new place and later try and start your own business.
As for the other spelling of the name Devote to Devotto, there are where a few in Manchester also.
Migky  ;)

Offline mothball

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 04 May 09 14:58 BST (UK) »
Indeed, I have a census return for 1851 in Whittle Street with  no less than 20 Italian musicians.  The head of house was a Devote/Devoto, it looks like anyhow and his occupation is something pianist, possibly Street Pianist.