Author Topic: Ice cream sellers and street musicians  (Read 118674 times)

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ice cream sellers and street musicians
« Reply #81 on: Friday 13 August 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
I cannot comment on what happened during WW1 but if you read posting No 35 on this thread you will find reference to an Italian being interned during WW2.  Also if you follow the link that I gave in posting No 46 you will find reference to Mr Riani, an ice cream seller from Houghton le Spring, also being interned during WW2.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 14 August 10 11:22 BST (UK) »
I had heard about the intern camps during WW2 but it is WW1 that I was interested in. Wikipedia says that thousands of foreign nationals were rounded up, questioned and then most of them were released. I believe that the Italians were included.
I was wondering if he had gone to Glasgow to escape persecution, imprisonment or deportation.
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline boozy.bird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I had an Italian uncle from a family of ice cream vendors. His father seemed to move from Lancashire to Yorkshire then Glasgow  then back to Yorkshire and possibly even back to Italy in the years between 1909 to 1920.

Does anybody know how WW1 affected the Italians in the UK? Were they treated any differently during the war? Did they enlist? How many of them returned to Italy to fight in the Italian army?

What was the family name ?
Some were inturned on the isle of man & the channel islands. They were persicuted during both wars some went back to Italy to fight (not through choice others english born italians (born in england of both italian parents) fought in the english army....many lost thier lives(as did many english & irish) names can be see on memorials around  england

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 16 September 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I had heard that foreigners were made less than welcome during both wars but I was unsure about the Italians during WW1.

I'm afraid that I can't mention the family name on here due to problems with living relatives who are not happy about disturbing the past.
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline boozy.bird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 17 September 10 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I had heard that foreigners were made less than welcome during both wars but I was unsure about the Italians during WW1.

I'm afraid that I can't mention the family name on here due to problems with living relatives who are not happy about disturbing the past.

You can email me via my website http://www.west-bar-italians.co.uk ....or just google west bar italians

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 17 September 10 11:26 BST (UK) »

Offline Broze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 19 December 10 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I've just found this website by googleing my familys name. i'm an Ambrose living in Manchester England. My Fathers side there was four sisters and four brothers, one brother lives in Australia, one lives in America, and the rest in Manchester, - well apart from my Aunty who lives down south in Devon.

I don't know much about my families history, but what I am told is that my Grandparents parents, (The Ambrose side), were Chocolate makers, I'm not 100% sure if they were in business in Manchester, but that's about as much as I know so far.

I will keep looking into it.

Just wondering if anybody has had more luck than me with tracing back there familys history?

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 19 December 10 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi & welocme.
Nearest to Chocolate maker i could find was a
John Ambrose Confectioner
78 Butler street
Oldham Road Manchester on the 1883 directory.

Migky  ;)

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 19 December 10 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Well I am a descendant of John Ambrose the Confectioner.   My grandfather always spoke about his Grandfather having the Confectionery shop, he was also an Ice Cream maker.

John Ambrose was married to Sarah Ellison in Prestwich, Manchester 1845, they had these children, John Henry Ambrose b. 1846, James b. 1848, Jonathon b. 1850, William b. 1851, Joseph b. 1855, Sarah Ellen b. 1856, Elizabeth b. 1858 (my G Grandmother) Thomas b. 1862 and Alice b. 1865, all born at Manchester.

Our family migrated to Australia in 1911, i.e. son of Elizabeth Ambrose, John Alfred Collier b. 1880 in Manchester with his family.

I would be interested to hear more on your family names.    There is much history on the Ambrose family that originally came from Liverpool area, Bickerstaffe, Ormskirk, Halsall areas.
I have recently met one of the descendants of William Ambrose b. 1851, who lives in Devon.
Maybe we have the same family connection

Regards
jan
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada