Author Topic: Ice cream sellers and street musicians  (Read 118051 times)

Offline trixie63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ice cream sellers and street musicians
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 20 June 09 00:29 BST (UK) »
Further to an earlier post on the first " Italian Ice Cream Makers",  a  Anthony Ginocchie / Ginnochio, ice cream maker, b. 1874, Accrington, m. 18?? , Mary A Muckle / Mukelt, b. 18876, Lancaster,  Mary was a step sister of my grandmother, are there any Ginocchio's still around ?.
                                       Jacqui (bodgers better half)

Hi,
I am new to this forum.  I was interested in this thread as my gggrandfather was Peter Ginochio born c1820 in Genoa.  My gggrandmother was born in Ashton under Lynne but they married in Liverpool in 1856. In the 1871 she appears as a widow but I have never been able to trace a death record for him. Peter was a figure maker. He was my gggrandmother's second husband.  Her first husband Luigi Gasparina  was a musician.

Trisha  :)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 20 June 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Trisha, welcome to RootsChat,
Stephen Ginocchio, b. 1849, Genoa, d. 1919 Lancs.
Sarah ?, b.1854, Bradford, d.1884, Haslingden
Children
Seraphine Dominic, b1873. Preston, d. 1912, Chorlton
Anthony, b.1874, Haslingden
Bennetta, b 1877      "   "
Jacob, b.1879            "    "
Angilina, b. 1881         "  "

2nd. wife, m. Dec. 1884, Haslingden
 Margaret Hannah Caldwell, b. Lancaster,d. 1906, Lancaster.
2nd. family
John Thomas, b. 1885,   Haslingden
Mary, b. 1887, Accrington
Rose Hannah, b.1889, Haslingden
Louisa J. b. 1892, Lancaster
Sarah, b. 1894, Lancaster

Our connection is via Anthony, b.1874, m. 1894 Lancaster,
Mary Ann Muckelt / Muckle, b 1875, Bradford, her father, William, b1848, Lancaster, was the 1st husbandof my wifes
g. grand mother. i have a few more details if you think there is a link. Regards. Bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline trixie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 20 June 09 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Bodger,

Thanks for the welcome.  I would love to think there is a connection but sadly we will probably never know. Yours are a different generation to mine. I am led to believe that Ginochio/ Ginocchio is a common surname for people from the Liguria region of Italy. Translated into English it means Knee and takes it's name from the shape of the coast line. It's nice to know there are are others interested in the name - I thought I was alone!

Thanks
Trisha

Offline chris-costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 05 July 09 19:01 BST (UK) »
WITH REGARDS TO LANCASTER GINOCCHIOS 

hey im new to this..and dont have much information but  Ginocchio is my grandmother family

Seraphine Dominic, b1873. Preston, d. 1912, Chorlton  is my nannas great uncle or Greatgrandfather  and steven obviously was his father    they called Seraphine Dominic   just plain and simple dominic,   

we still have people in our family following Angelini's name  such as my aunty Angela and new born Cousin Angel Jane.   My nannas family still live local  Overton Middleton way...with ian as my nannas cousin..  My nannas uncle was called Mark and was either Seraphine Dominics Son or Anthony's.

My greatgrandmother was called Annie Ginocchio (Marks sister) and was from lancaster. she was one of 13 children but some died (as in the times they did)  and she was fathered by either   Dominic Or Anthony.

we thought stevens second wife was irish, thats what we have always been told (or possibly irish decent) as the family arent ginger but we have warmth to our hair. (my 2 cousins r ginger)..and my nannas mother was deep auburn feiry haired. guess its an assumption based on hair.

if anybody can help me clear my family tree because im only 18 and i would really appreciate it..

Offline chris-costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 05 July 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
also found that steven ginocchio (or stephen)   was a well known musician in Lancaster, and we were also the first family to bring ice cream to Lancaster,   the 4 main lancaster families were

ourselves (ginocchios), the macaris, the brussianis, the rastellis..

a girl i went to school with was a rastelli.

the ginoccio's taught the macaris the icecream trade (which is still running under the macara family now).

and the rastellis r still going strong with their restaurants and cafe's  as are the brussianis x

Offline chris-costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 20:23 BST (UK) »
i dont know how accurate any of that was because im only going from word of mouth... my but nanna has written me a family tree with all the children grand children great children etcetcetc

starting with the marriage  of Dominic ( b.1873-d.1951) to Jane Hockey (b.1878-d.1930)

x

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 23 July 09 10:02 BST (UK) »
Just found this interesting website, I am trying to link up my family with the Italian Ice cream sellers in Manchester.

My GG Grandfather John Ambrose who was born in Liverpool 1823, lived in Manchester with his wife Sarah, by 1861 he was a Confectioner in Manchester, addresses being New Islington Street, Canal Road and Butler Street.    He was also known to have an Ice Cream Cart, and had some connection with the Italian families in and around Manchester.

His Father Henry Ambrose is shown in 1841 census as being a shopkeeper then with his wife Ellen and son John & Elizabeth, living at Bradford Street.

Can anyone assist me in relation to this Ambrose family, there is talk that the Ambroses came from Italy originally, and have to verify all of this.

Janjim
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 23 February 10 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Two books have recently been published that contain photos of Sunderland and Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne & Wear. ice cream sellers.

The first book is 'Britain in Old Photographs: Sunderland by Stuart Miller and John Brantingham on behalf of Living History North East and published by The
History Press.

For a review of the book go to the Sunderland Echo website at www.sunderlandecho.com/ArticlesIndex/Listmonths.aspx and then click on '2010 February' then on '17' and then on 'Features.  Click on 'Sunderland since Victorian times in photos' and you will be presented with the review of the book and a gallery of photos that were featured in the article. 

One of the photos is of 'Lizzie Valente selling ice cream in
Northumberland Place in the 1930s.

The second book is 'Houghton-le-Spring in old photographs, Volume 1' by Paul
Lanagan that was launched on Thursday of last week.

Go to www.houghtonlespring.co.uk/ and click on 'Houghton Heritage'
then click on the date underneath 'Updated' and click on one of the
outlets at which the book can be purchased to see details of
the book.

Page 26 of the book has two photos of The Roma Cafe and Jaconellis
shop and new ice cream van and page 27 has two photos of Rianis Gaiety
Temperance Bar and shop.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline PENCAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 14 March 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
 This has been bringing some lovely memories back of my childhood. Gillg, my dad used to tell us of the 'Hokey Pokey' man coming round in Poplar. He would also start a rhyme that went 'Hokey Pokey, penny a lump -----' , he would never finish that but always smiled[not sure if it was something rude!!]  My early memories in the East End was of Dellamura and Rossi ice cream shops. Dellamura especially, because they also had an icecream 'cart' at the Green Gate, Plaistow. The lemon ice had great big chunks of lemon in it that would make you wink when you chewed on it [none of the present day 'numbers & additives']. I used to love a mixed tub which was half icecream and half lemon ice. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Thanks for taking me back.