Author Topic: Adams family from Liverpool  (Read 9843 times)

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adams family from Liverpool
« on: Sunday 01 April 07 19:47 BST (UK) »
 The Adams family originated from Ireland. Samuel Adams was born 1827 in Ireland. He married Jane, who"s maiden name was also Adams. at the Presbyterian Church May St Belfast 1849 Sams father was Hugh Adams and Janes was Henry Adams,we think they were brothers.
The family came over from Ireland in the 1860s. Their children were Hugh Henry,Margaret,Jane, Mary,Agnes and Sarah Ann. 
Samuel died on board the Brig Nellie in St Georges Dock , Liverpool 9 March 1876.
Hugh Henry became a known  and respected independant Methodist minister,preaching at the Hill O Zion,Cochrane St church,Everton.  The church is still standing today, but not used for methodist service now.
I would like to research the family back further and to know more about Sams life as a mariner and where he visited on the Brig Nellie or indeed more information about the ship would be of great interest to us.
 Any help or ideas for reseach would be appriciated.
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Adams family from Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 April 07 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi.you might find this siteworth looking at
www.rylibweb.man.ac.uk/data1/dg/text/method.html

Hope that helps
Best
jed

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 07 14:18 BST (UK) »
 Hi,
Many thanks for your suggestion. I have already been in contact with Peter Nockles,who was very helpful.
                              Jsearch
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline MKRADAMS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 July 07 12:35 BST (UK) »
Nathaniel and other Adams had a master grocer business in Liverpool, owned The Seasons residence 65 Anfield Rd, Liverpool and married the daughter of Rev William Wilkinson an local Liverpool Primitive Methodest minister. Also, connecter are his next genetaion up, being the Adams’ gravestones immediately inside the Tullyrusk cemetery gate (apparently twins Robert Adams of Ballynacoy B.1811 and Thomas Adams of Hillhead Farm, Derrykillultagh (Hillhead Lane opposite the filterbeds, off the Lisburn to Glenavy Rd, North Ireland). I believe I am a direct descendent of Thomas Adams, some of whose offspring John, Nathaniel, Thomas, Emma, Susannah, Katherine/Sarah went to Liverpool and set up a business, then dispersed around the globe. The Hillhead farm is now apparently split and owned by the McCartney’s, Ferguson’s and possibly Acheson, descendents of the Adams girls left behind after the boys left during the mid 1800’s for Liverpool and other parts of the world. To this extent, you will note I am located in Sydney, Australia and contactable via

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You
ADAMS of Liverpool, UK - Nathaniel b.1843 in Antrim & siblings - migrated and ran grocer business from Kirkdale (later Anfield), Liverpool
ADAMS of Antrim, NI - Thomas of Hillhead Farm on Glenavy Rd near Lisburn, NI, Derrykillultagh, Ballynacoy & Tullyrusk in Co.Antrim, North Ireland; also Robert of Ballnacoy.

Offline MKRADAMS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 July 07 12:39 BST (UK) »
Nathaniel Adams b.1843 Antrim and other Adams had a master grocer business allegedly called Adams Bros in Kirkdale Rd, Kirkdale Liverpool, and then owned The Seasons residence 65 Anfield Rd, Liverpool and married the daughter of Rev William Wilkinson an local Liverpool Primitive Methodest minister. Also, connecter are his next genetaion up, being the Adams’ gravestones immediately inside the Tullyrusk cemetery gate (apparently twins Robert Adams of Ballynacoy B.1811 and Thomas Adams of Hillhead Farm, Derrykillultagh (Hillhead Lane opposite the filterbeds, off the Lisburn to Glenavy Rd, North Ireland); also a suspected brother John Adams. I believe I am a direct descendent of Thomas Adams, some of whose offspring via his wife Catherine were John, Nathaniel, Thomas, Emma, Susannah, Katherine/Sarah went to Liverpool and set up a business, then dispersed around the globe. The Hillhead farm is now apparently split and owned by the McCartney’s, Ferguson’s and possibly Acheson, descendents of the Adams girls left behind after the boys left during the mid 1800’s for Liverpool and other parts of the world. To this extent, you will note I am located in Sydney, Australia and contactable via

MODERATOR COMMENT: email address removed to avoid spam and other abuses. Please use personal message system to share email addresses and other personal details. Thank You
ADAMS of Liverpool, UK - Nathaniel b.1843 in Antrim & siblings - migrated and ran grocer business from Kirkdale (later Anfield), Liverpool
ADAMS of Antrim, NI - Thomas of Hillhead Farm on Glenavy Rd near Lisburn, NI, Derrykillultagh, Ballynacoy & Tullyrusk in Co.Antrim, North Ireland; also Robert of Ballnacoy.

Offline redkop

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Freddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 July 07 15:29 BST (UK) »

Hiya,

any joy with the book?

Red   :D
MCLENNAN - Inverness Scotland and Liverpool
WHITTAKER - Offaly Ireland
MILLER. HURST, BALL. DUTTON. BIBBY, MORGAN, GASKELL - Liverpool
ELLIS - Plymouth, Devon
COLLINS - Bishops Castle, Shropshire.
MASON. MILLER - Runcorn/Chester
ROWLAND - Widnes, Lancs.
CHARLTON - Bury, Lancs
GREGGS - Cumbria
BRISCOE - SHERLOCK - Cheshire
VOCE - Warrington, Lancs

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 July 07 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
No Joy (HA HA !) with book but will keep searching for brig Nellie. We found a ship called 'Nellie Bywater " in service at the time of my grt grt grandfather,could be a possibility.
                               Joy

Offline redkop

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Freddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 13:55 BST (UK) »

Hi Joy,

sorry about the pun.  ;D

Red   :D
MCLENNAN - Inverness Scotland and Liverpool
WHITTAKER - Offaly Ireland
MILLER. HURST, BALL. DUTTON. BIBBY, MORGAN, GASKELL - Liverpool
ELLIS - Plymouth, Devon
COLLINS - Bishops Castle, Shropshire.
MASON. MILLER - Runcorn/Chester
ROWLAND - Widnes, Lancs.
CHARLTON - Bury, Lancs
GREGGS - Cumbria
BRISCOE - SHERLOCK - Cheshire
VOCE - Warrington, Lancs

Offline mikeadams1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 February 13 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Can i revive this post as i believe i may be in some way related?
i am an Adams, and i remeber being told a church was owned in the family in everton. Coincidence?

Robert Adams (my great grandfather, no deceased Approx age today 99) was involved in Fibrous Plaster mouldings, his son, his son, and now me, are all still involved in this.

any more info about the family?