Author Topic: LOOK UPs Offer - V.C. Holders  (Read 64476 times)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
LOOK UPs Offer - V.C. Holders
« on: Sunday 01 April 07 23:32 BST (UK) »
I have a series of books - by HW Wilson 'The Great War' in 13 volumes(written during and just after the Great War) and it is packed full of VC Holders photos and citations. I wondered if anyone would be interested in look ups
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOOK UPs Offer - V.C. Holders
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 07 18:51 BST (UK) »
I am just curious, is there another type of VC apart from the Victoria cross?  There is a burial in St Albans catholic church, Wallasey that gives some guys name and V.C. at the end.  I am almost certain it is not the Victoria Cross as I looked up the holders once. Anyone any suggestions as to what it might mean? The grave is from 1800 and something but I can't remember the exact year.

The only thing I can think of is Vice Consul!
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 07 20:06 BST (UK) »
The Victoria Cross came into being on 29th January 1856 under Royal Warranty and it is made from the bronze cannon captured during the Crimean War. The inscription you have seen (if it was 1800) must therefore stand for something else. As it was in a catholic church could it be Latin ? Was there a military connection with the burial that you know of ?
From the dictionary:
Vice Chairman
Vice Consul
Vice Chancellor
I would also post this question in the military area of the site - they may well know.
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 07 15:24 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at that grave stone again. Name of Ambrose Lennon who died in 1876. He was a canon in the church as opposed to a cannon in the artillery  :) so maybe the V.C. is something to do with that?
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 07 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Certacito
I have checked through the index of my books and no mention found of an Ambrose Lennon or even a Lennon Ambrose as a Victoria Cross Holder. So it must in his case mean something else. Have you tried the military section they may well have been asked a similar question before. Please let me know if you find out  - I would be very interested.
mog
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 May 07 12:56 BST (UK) »
Taking advantage of my thousands of worldly contacts (one to be precise) I have received the following answer.

It probably stands for  Vir Clarissimus ("A Most Illustrious Man") which is an inscription commonly found in old catacombs and other burial griounds....

You learn something new every day don't you?
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 May 07 13:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Certi,
Thanks for letting us know. Very interesting  :D Glad you found what you were looking for.
mog
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline JohnW1972

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheshire, thanks for the offer, could you look for Samuel Wassall please he won the VC at isandlwana during the Zulu wars, i have read about him on wikepedia etc, i wonder if their was any pictures or information on him in the book. Thank you.
John.

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi bcf
Sorry my book only gives VC's awarded in WW1
I notice on wikipedia that his medal is held at the South Staffordshire's Museum
maybe they would be able to help ?
mog
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY