Author Topic: Migration to Northumberland 1700's  (Read 6890 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Migration to Northumberland 1700's
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
So sorry I didn't mean to upset anyone

I'm sure you haven't  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Finding my roots honors my family and is rewarding
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 July 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
It's all ok from my end, Aspin!  It can sometimes get a little confusing with all the back and forth.  Thanks for explaining the reply.

Scott
Dixon family from Northumberland and Durham, then Staffordshire and Shropshire, then Liverpool, then Illinois, USA. Maiden surnames of those married into my direct Dixon family line over in England include Philipson, Marshall, Westgarth, and Keeling.

Frohock family from Cambridgeshire, then USA (PA, NC, TN, KY, then IL).

Horat family from canton Schwyz, Switzerland, then Illinois, USA

Fearno/Fernow/Ferneau family from Germany, then USA (NY, WV, IL).

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 July 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
I'm from Blyth, and my mother's maiden name was Dixon, but I think her father came from around York. It's a very common surname.
Also have relatives in the sheep farming part of the north of the county. Hedley.
Hoping Michael is OK too.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 July 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hope Michael is OK

Last I heard of Michael he had deserted Northumberland and moved to Scotland  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 July 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
Has nobody got an email or mobile number for him
He was always ready to help anyone when adding something about Northumberland
Hope he's OK
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Brian Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 July 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
A recent interested party especially when there is mention of Blyth, North Blyth, Percy Main, Newbiggin, Ashington,  Woodhorn Colliery ... Thanks to Michael Dixon for increasing the blood pressure just a little
My grandparents lived in Newbiggin (Paternal... Brown, James and Mary lived at 7 Woodhorn Rd Newbiggin while Maternal ... Williamson, Edward ended his days at 3 King George's Rd Newbiggin.
From family discussions I believe the Browns migrated to Northumberland from Ireland while the Williamsons fit into the 'Jacobite' scene referred to in previous posts.
Family singalongs at various times during WWII (my early childhood in North Blyth) support my ancestry theory with distinct leanings towards Ireland or Scotland depending on which family you were visiting.
My mother being the daughter of Edward Williamson entertained us (3 children of pre and School age) during WWII with many songs that she obviously learned from her family.  Quite a large framed print of 'The Young Pretender' had pride of place in her home ...
As a matter of family interest James and Mary Brown had 5 children: William (my father), John, Joe Jimmy and Mary while Edward and Hellen Williamson (died aged 45) had 3 children Sadie, Florence and Mary (my mother).
With school years shared between Blyth, Percy Main and North Shields, an apprenticeship at Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Co. Ltd. Wallsend followed by 17 years in the British Mercantile Marine (Merch. For the locals). Following other migration paths it looks as though I will end my days in sunny Australia
Thanks to all who make these fascinating threads possible ...