Author Topic: Migration to Northumberland 1700's  (Read 6914 times)

ruthy

Re: Migration to Northumberland 1700's
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 April 07 13:50 BST (UK) »
Michael

Thanks for all the info, and the insight into your ancestry  - you are truly a mine (very sorry!) of information. The mining museum web site is very good.

I find the mining history of the area fascinating (although my knowledge is still quite limited), and as a child loved going to Beamish with my grandparents.  I am visiting the Woodhorn visitor centre in a couple of weeks too, and looking forward to seeing some of the rural countryside aspin mentions as well as the more built up areas.

My ancestry so far is initially in the Woodhorn area in 1790 - 1800, and then they were in Longbenton, and the 20thC saw them in Hetton-le-Hole - all mining families  (never ones for an easy life I think!) . My father and his siblings all moved away in the 1960's.

I will continue on my quest - some of those 60 1841 Perry's in Northumberland are my ancestors discovered, and some are as yet undiscovered.  Maybe one of them somewhere will give me a clue as to where they came to Northumberland from.

Ruthy

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Finding my roots honors my family and is rewarding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for all the info on migration in Northumberland!  Michael Dixon, I like your name!

I also am trying to find a little about the migration in Northumberland and Durham prior to 1700.

I found my ancestors, confirmed back to William Dixon (1720-1769) in St. Andrews church - Shotley Lower Quarter, a very small church at the southern edge of Northumberland.  His baptism says he's "son of John Dixon."  I found in the archives from Durham the 1750 will of John Dixon of Shotley, the father, who apparently died in 1763 in Shotley.  He gives his estate to his 4 sons, with allowance for his wife, and his youngest son is described as Joseph Dixon "of Stanhope" (northern County Durham).  There is no record prior of John Dixon, the father, in Shotley, however, the churchbook from Shotley only goes back to 1695, so that is not surprising, since he was probably born before then.  There is a 1718 marriage of a John Dixon to Margaret Proud, but in the will John's wife is Isabel.  Don't see any death for a Margaret Proud or a Margaret Dixon.  I note that there are lots of Dixon's in Stanhope and also nearby Wolsingham.  I am not sure if they perhaps had family there before, or perhaps it was a move to a near area by the son.  However, with Shotley being so small, I have doubts that they were there for centuries before 1700.  Also, I have no info about John Dixon's occupation, or that of his son William, however, the child of William, George Dixon, was a banksman at the coal mine on Kiln Pit Hill there next to the church.  There were many stone masons in the family going on down the line after that.  Also, George Dixon and his siblings mostly moved to Snows Green, next to Shotley Bridge across the river in county Durham, so the later Dixons were in northern county Durham.  I've also heard that the Dixon name ORIGINALLY came from southern Scotland, but again, I have no info prior to John Dixon, so I have no idea where they were prior to 1700.  Any thoughts?
Dixon family from Northumberland and Durham, then Staffordshire and Shropshire, then Liverpool, then Illinois, USA. Maiden surnames of those married into my direct Dixon family line over in England include Philipson, Marshall, Westgarth, and Keeling.

Frohock family from Cambridgeshire, then USA (PA, NC, TN, KY, then IL).

Horat family from canton Schwyz, Switzerland, then Illinois, USA

Fearno/Fernow/Ferneau family from Germany, then USA (NY, WV, IL).

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 July 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Michael Dixon has not been on RootsChat since Friday 06 October 2017.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 July 18 18:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry I didn't notice that he hadn't been active lately.  I hope he's ok.
Dixon family from Northumberland and Durham, then Staffordshire and Shropshire, then Liverpool, then Illinois, USA. Maiden surnames of those married into my direct Dixon family line over in England include Philipson, Marshall, Westgarth, and Keeling.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 July 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
Ruthy,

Whereabouts in Northumberland ?

The county had/has several faces... rural (ie more sheep than folk) industrial ( coal, yes in 1700s, shipbuilding etc)

Michael Dixon (from the ugly end of Northumberland)
Come on Michael there's no ugly parts in Northumberland its the best place in England but don't tell anyone from a true Northumbrian
Elizabeth :D :D :D :D
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
Dear Aspin, I am not quite sure what your reply means.  I see a quote asking what part of Northumberland, but I spelled that out in my initial post (parish of St. Andrew's Shotley Lower Quarter on the very southern edge of Northumberland just north of its border with county Durham).  I mapped out all the baptisms/marriages/burials on a spreadsheet, and note that there most of the earliest Dixon's appearing in the church register for Shotley Lower Quarter mention "of Panshields," which is a farm just a few miles southeast of the old St. Andrews Shotley church, and a few miles east of the newer St. John's Shotley church.  This farm still exists, and is just north of the river Derwent, which forms the border between Northumberland and county Durham.  On an old map of the Durham diocese, it shows what appears to be a church or chapel at Panshields, but I see no mention of that church or chapel anywhere. I assume it was long ago demolished, if it ever existed.  Panshields farm is within the parish of Shotley...well, at least it is within its current borders. I hope this helps!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 09:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Aspin, I am not quite sure what your reply means. 

Elizabeth (aka Aspin) was just replying to Michael Dixon, when he had said he was from 'the ugly end of Northumberland'.

Her reply to him was (I've highlighted it in red below)

Ruthy,

Whereabouts in Northumberland ?

The county had/has several faces... rural (ie more sheep than folk) industrial ( coal, yes in 1700s, shipbuilding etc)

Michael Dixon (from the ugly end of Northumberland)
Come on Michael there's no ugly parts in Northumberland its the best place in England but don't tell anyone from a true Northumbrian
Elizabeth :D :D :D :D

She wasn't replying to any part of your posting about Shotley  :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 23:15 BST (UK) »
Note there is now a new thread about Scott's family here.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=796865.0;topicseen
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
So sorry I didn't mean to upset anyone
I've not been on here very much either

Hope Michael is OK
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth