Author Topic: Dublin Orphanage 1900s  (Read 4291 times)

Offline stephkelly_1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dublin Orphanage 1900s
« on: Monday 02 April 07 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Trying to find info on the Christian Brothers orphanage in Dublin where my grandfather, John Kelly b. 1900 and his two older twin brothers grew up in.  They were Dennis and Edward, not sure of birth year.  Their father was also a John Kelly.  Thanks  Steph ???

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin Orphanage 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 April 08 04:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Steph,

The Catholic City website has an article about the Christian Brothers of Ireland which was published in the Catholic Encyclopedia ... "1907 there were ten communities in Dublin, educating more than 6000 Pupils. These establishments comprise not only extensive primary and secondary schools but orphanages, industrial schools, and a large deaf and dumb institution." www.catholicity.com/encyclopedia/c/christian_brothers_of_ireland.html

I'm not certain what a community means and where these were located. I think Michelle Cooney may be able to assist you. She's the Archivist of the Irish Christian Brothers Archive (Previously St Helen's Province Archives). The contact details are in this link ... http://tinyurl.com/4nqdo6

Have a look at the Christian Brothers Archives on RootsChat Irish Resource board.

Christopher

Offline stephkelly_1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin Orphanage 1900s
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 April 08 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher

thank you for giving me a starting point!  I've seen the 1911 irish census forms but cant find a connection yet!

I shall give the links you gave me a try.

Best wishes  Steph

(Love the pic by the way!)