Author Topic: Bird Everton  (Read 8887 times)

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bird Everton
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am seeking information on the surnames Bird or Everton in Co. Tyrone.

I am particularly looking for information regarding William Bird Everton born c1845, formerly a farmer, then Royal Irish Constabulary and the son of Thomas Everton.

Many thanks,

David

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Bird Everton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya David,

I looked at the extracts of Griffiths Valuations of Ireland on John Hayes failteromhat.com site and found no one by the name of Everton in Ireland when the Valuation took place in the country between 1848-64.

I fared slightly better with Bird in Co. Tyrone in 1851 ... there was one listing ...

Robert Bird, Aghyaran, Termonamongan. Tyrone

Christopher

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 10:20 BST (UK) »
Christopher,

Many thanks for your comments and my apologies for not replying sooner.

I am not sure if there is any connection with the Robert Bird you mention, but it seems an unusual name for Northern Ireland and could be a useful bit of information to store for later use.

Thanks again for your kind efforts on my behalf.

David

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hiya David,

It would help if the Parish, Townland and Union was known as well as the County. It's quite possible that the names Bird and Everton may be in the Valuations but not in the extracts. I've had a look at Irish Ancestors Surname Search. It has no record of the name Everton. I only found one Bird in the extracts although the Surname Search indicates that there were five Birds in Co. Tyrone.

Christopher

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 14:48 BST (UK) »
death. THOMAS EVERTON ON 17-7-1896. CO.TYRONE. RESIDENCE. CORDRUMMEDY.

DATE OF PROBATE 1897.

REGARDS MARY.

doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Dear Christopher and Mary,

It would probably be helpful to explain what I know of my Everton family.

My great-grandmother Elsie Everton was born on the Isle of Wight in 1888, the daughter of William Bird Everton and Emma Jane Monger. William was a prison officer at Parkhurst Prison and the 1881 census showed him to have been born in Ireland around 1846. He died in 1894.

His marriage certificate to Emma Monger showed that his father was called Thomas.

A search of Royal Irish Constabulary records on Ancestry found a Sub-Constable William B Everton appointed to the RIC on 20/6/1867 aged 22 years (therefore born circa 1845). He was a Protestant, formerly a farmer and was a native of Tyrone. He resigned in 1872 “to emigrate”.

I found a record in Griffiths Valuation index of an Everton living in the parish of Kilskeery, Co.Tyrone.

A search of the IGI revealed that an Edward Thomas Everton was baptised on 15/04/1864 at Irvinestown, Tyrone, Ireland to parents Thomas Everton and Eliza Jane McFarland.

At this point, I employed a researcher to look for more information. He advised that the Griffiths Valuation for 1860 showed Thomas Everton renting land and buildings from an Edward Archdale in the parish of Kilskeery, Townland of Shanmullagh East and interestingly, immediately adjacent to Thomas Everton was a Susan Bird renting from the same landowner. Susan Bird was removed from the Townland Valuations in 1864 and Thomas was removed in 1872.

Registers for the Church of Ireland at Kilskeery showed that Thomas Everton and Eliza baptised the following children:

1847 John
1849 Charlotte
1851 Charles
1856 Frederick
1858 Susan
1860 Eliza Jane
1864 Thomas Edward

There was no baptism for William Bird Everton and no marriage for Thomas and Eliza Everton in the Registers.

My researcher brought to my attention the will of Thomas Everton at Cordrummedy, Trillick probated in 1897 and I obtained a copy of this from PRONI. It confirmed that Thomas had a son Fred Everton, daughters Mrs Cliff and Maria Everton, grandaughter Amelia Maria Everton, sons John, Mat and Charles Everton and daughter Susan McCarty. Will also left instructions for Fred to "pay my eldest son's widow one pound every month until her youngest child is twelve years old. Her present residence is in the Isle of Wight".  This confirmed the connection between my great-grandmother on the Isle of Wight, the children baptised at Kilskeery to Thomas and Eliza and the Thomas Everton who died at Cordrummedy.

A search on the internet revealed that the school in Trillick was built on land purchased from a Fred Everton. I have also found references to Thomas and Fred Everton being grocers and Publicans in Trillick. I found a reference to a Wilkin Bird owning land at Keenogue, Trillick in 1876.

Any more information would be gratefully received. I would like to find out where William Bird Everton was baptised and whether his mother was also Eliza Jane McFarland. I would also like to find where Thomas Everton came from and where and when he married Eliza. Finally, I would dearly love to know what the connection to the Bird family is, which gave William such an unusual middle name. (William incidently gave his own son the christian name of Bird).

Thanks for your interest and help.

David

Offline mccaske

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 09 21:36 BST (UK) »
Have a look at my web page
http://www.mccaskie.org.uk/Smith-Cavandoragh.htm to see information about the Bird family - and also access the photos link to see pics of some of the Birds  ;D

Offline Logdore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 October 09 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi mccaske

That's interesting. I'm sure there must be some connection with my Bird Everton family, as they come from the same area. I'm just not sure what it is yet.

Thanks very much for the info.

David

Offline DougieW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 December 09 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello David,
    In front of me I have the family group sheet of Thomas Everton of Trillick, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. His wife's name was Elizabeth Jane, but no maiden name is apparent.
  There is no record of William Bird Everton on this page but it lists John (1847), Charlotte (1849), Nathaniel - my ancestor (1853), Charles (1851), Susan (1855), Eliza Jane (1860), Marie (1861) and Edward Thomas (1860).
   Nathaniel married Elizabeth Wilson in 1877 and their only child, William Nathaniel Robert Bird Everton was born in London Eng. Apr. 6, 1881 then emigrated to Toronto, Canada and married Margaret Morris. They are buried at Prospect Cemetery in Toronto. Their children were, my Grandmother, Elizabeth Jane (1887), Ernest (1892), Thomas (1900), Jack and Emily. (both younger)
   Elizabeth Jane married Arthur Harold Woods, my grandfather on my Father's side  in 1905 and gave birth to Norman Howard Woods (1908), Erwin Harold Woods (1912) and my father Gordon Douglas (1919)

Perhaps this may be the link you are seeking.

Dougie