Author Topic: Marriage certificate query  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
  • GGG Grandfather Captain Robert Francis Hodgson
    • View Profile
Marriage certificate query
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm pretty sure I've got the right answer, but I just wanted to get some other opinions from the RCs.

My GGGG grandma died at the age of 26 a couple of years after having my ggg grandfather (Annoyingly they married in 1843, had the baby in 1844 and she died in 1847, so I don't have them together on any census, In the 1851 the child is staying with relatives), leaving him an only child. Or so I thought.  In the process of working through the parish records and census records I've found there are only three men in the area with the name 'Joseph Harwood', and I know two of them are not the widowed father - so I know his birth details and parents.

In the 1851 there is a Joseph Harwood with  a wife, Mary, in the village I would expect him to be, born in the correct place etc. So I found the marriage certificate, getting excited as a second marriage would mean my 'only child' would have 7 half-bros and sisters!

Basically, everything on the certificate is correct - father's name and location, but Joseph (34 years of age) is listed as a Bachelor, not a Widower as I would have expected. Is it possible that this could be erroneous?

I know the certificates are not infallible, but I'm just looking for a little reassurance before I ring the family in a blaze of glory!

Thanks guys
xxxxxxx
Hodgson (Durham); Harwood (Lenches, Worcestershire); Henry (Carmarthenshire)<br /><br />All census info is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage certificate query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 17:10 BST (UK) »
Are you saying that  Joseph's first wife died in 1847, and  by 1851 he was married to someone else with 7 more children?  Either he already had some of them with his first wife, or the new Mrs Harwood already had 7 children, in which case they would be step brother and sisters, not half brothers and sisters to your ggg grandfather.

And why if Joseph had re-married would your ggg grandfather be staying with relatives?

Just a thought.

Liz

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 17:12 BST (UK) »
No - certificates are not infallible, but if it were me I would want some sort of other supporting evidence to back it up before being convinced he was 'my' Joseph Harwood!

What happens in subsequent censuses? Is the child always with rellies, or is he ever back with dad (and step mum?)
Does Joseph Harwood leave a will - listing both child of first marriage and those of second, thus proving both are the same chap?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 17:17 BST (UK) »
I should check earlier census just to make sure that there isn't another Joseph that you have missed.   If you quote the 1851 census then we may be able to look for you.
Andrea

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 17:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry - the 7 children are born over the next 20 years and the marriage isn't until 1853 - I haven't been able to locate Joseph on the 1851 - should've made it clearer.

John (the first son) is never back at home. In the 1851 he's 7 and living with his great-Uncle, and then in the 1861 he's a servant, then married in the subsequents.

No wills - the country bumpkins that my family were never seem to consider it necessary.

Basically it's just that the village - Church Lench - is a tiny, tiny place, and there is only ever one Joseph Harwood born in 1820 (in Weethley) living in Church Lench (only 3 in Worcestershire, the others are born in Northfield and Blockley, both places I know well - my family are still in Church Lench!). The Joseph on the 'second marriage' certificate is the correct age and is living in Church Lench at the time of marriage.

I have all the parish records, so I don't know if there is any other evidence I can gain apart from the process of elimination (from the info in the para above)

Darn relatives!!!
Hodgson (Durham); Harwood (Lenches, Worcestershire); Henry (Carmarthenshire)<br /><br />All census info is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 17:21 BST (UK) »
Ohh, and they're often Harwood, Haywood, Harewood, Harrod, Horrad, Heywood...........

You name the variation of the name, the family have been transcribed as such.......

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 17:53 BST (UK) »
Considering you've got one Joseph 'Harrod' in Church Lench aged about 20 and born Worcestershire, a male servant to a farmer in 1841. A John 'Harrod' born Church Lench aged 7 in Church Lench with his paternal uncle and aunt in 1851 and then a Joseph 'Harrod' on the 1861 census aged 40 born Weethley Worcestershire a shepherd and herdsman (the sum total of Church Lench being 422 in 1861) you would be pretty unlucky that another Joseph' Harrod' had turned up in the village with the same named father and occupation and settled in for the duration.
Is there any connection at all between the 'half siblings, father and step mother' - witness on marriage etc

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Madraykin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 18:01 BST (UK) »
The witnesses are both relatives of the 'second wife' - Mary Boune.

It was the last child that helped me find the marriage, as they named her Bessie Boune Harwood - so when I saw the marriage between Joseph and Mary I had to check it out.

I'm going to get on the phone to my Dad - I think it's just too much of a coincidence for such a small place.

Finally, some more of my paternal family after being stuck for about a year and a half - thanks for the words of affirmation Valda. Respect you greatly, as always!

Mads

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
I was thinking of further marriages - John's etc and who were the witnesses to those in case the 'siblings' did mix at all. What details does John give about his father on his marriage? Is it compatible with the information about Joseph back in Church Lench?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk