Author Topic: HUGHES Portadown  (Read 5811 times)

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
HUGHES Portadown
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 20:34 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to sort a tangle of Hughes in Portadown.  I have Alicia (b. c. 1859) and Sarah (b. c. 1864), who were daughters of Edward and Annie Hughes (Edward was a butcher).   Then I have Sarah and Ellen and Francis, who were children of John Hughes, also a butcher I think, and a brother of Edward. There's also  Elizabeth (born c. 1871) and  Isabelle, (b. c.1878) not sure whose children they are.  I'm trying to ascertain the parents of these sets of children Edward and Annie, and John and unknown wife, to make sure I have the correct children with the correct parents - if I'm not being too confusing!  I have not been able to find marriage records of the parents, OR birth records of the children which is not helping!  Any suggestions or advice would be wonderful.
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline joanyh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HUGHES Portadown
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, did you have any luck I am a direct descendant of Edward and Annie Hughes, can tell you some information

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 August 15 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanyh

Welcome to Rootschat!  I haven't been on here in ages but I got a notification of your message on my email.  It's a while since I have been delving into my family history but I'm always interested in possible new links - what is your connection to Edward and Annie Hughes exactly?  Hughes is a very common name in Co. Armagh and I have not been able to prove a direct link, but My Sarah Hughes (my great-grandmother) was born around 1864 and now I think her father was a James Hughes?  All very confusing but I do have Alicia and Sarah (a different Sarah) who were children of Edward and Annie.  Edward would have been a brother of James and John I think.  Have you any more info?
Best wishes
Judy
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline joanyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 August 15 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy, I wasn't sure if you would still be on here as it was 2007. Edward and Annie are my great, great grandparents. There is a gravestone with a lot of detail on it, which you can actually find online now. Edward died on 31/08/1868 aged 50 I was able to trace his death certificate on GRONI, according to the headstone Annie died on 24/05/1868, I have had no luck tracing her. There is a Sarah Mahood on the headstone their daughter died 16/12/1885 age 21, I traced her death certificate and marriage certificate all on GRONI too.
when Edward died his son Charles (my great grandfather) took over the family business (cattle dealer/ victualler. His wife Mary went on to have 15 children, 4 of them died in the same year due to scarlet fever (1895), my grandfather was one of the 15 children. you can see them all on the censuses. There was also a brother of Charles living with them called Francis. I don't know Edward's parents so far. Hope this is of some use. Joan       

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 04:49 BST (UK) »
Both Anne's and Edward's burials shown here (right page):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632569#page/86/mode/1up

There is a civil death registered for a farmer's wife Anne Hughes on 18 June 1868 giving the date of death as 6 June, the address given as Clea, reported age 42, is that a possibility?

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks joanyh I have just sent you a PM.  Gaffy - thank you I will check that out!
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline joanyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 23:44 BST (UK) »
Gaffy, that was brilliant thanks very much, don't know how you found that!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 04:00 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.  :)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, I found a few things that may help.

Births of children to Edward & Anne:

Charles born 1845
Mary born 1848
Anne born 1853
Catherine born 1856
Alicia Anne bap 6 Feb 1859 Drumcree, Armagh
Francis bap 13 June 1864 Portadown, Armagh

* parents are Edward Hughes & Anne O'Hagan.I could not locate a marriage cert for the parents. I also could find no birth for a child Sarah to Edward & Anne.

As to John Hughes, you would need more info than just his name to figure out which records would be his. There are far too many John Hughes to just pick one out of a hat. Plenty of marriages for and children born to John, but without the minimum of a first name on the wife, its a needle in a haystack. Would you have any idea of the birth years for Sarah, Ellen & Francis who you say are John's children? As to Elizabeth & Isabella, they could be children of a 2nd marriage or children of a child of either John or Edward.
Do you have a death of either John or Edward? Even tho' death certs have next to no info on them it is possible you may get John's wife's 1st name on it if she was the informant. Without more info its hard to go further.

As to births of Edward Hughes & Anne O' Hagan, I checked 1805-1825 in county Armagh & found the following;

Birth Anne O' Hagan/ Hagan:

bap. 6 Jan 1821 Upper Creggan, Armagh  Roman Catholic  parents: John O' Hagan & Catherine Keegan

bap. 27 March 1814  Armagh, Armagh  Roman Catholic  parents: Edward O' Hagan & Sarah Hughes

Birth Edward Hughes:

address: Tobermesson
bap. 22 July 1818  Clonfeacle, Tyrone
Roman Catholic
parents: John Hughes & Brig McSherry

bap. 19 Dec 1819  Armagh, Armagh
Roman Catholic
parents: William Hughes & Ellen Hughes

bap. 26 Dec 1819  Armagh, Armagh
Roman Catholic
parents: Peter Hughes & Mary Donnelly

bap. 22 July 1820  Armagh, Armagh
Roman Catholic
parents: Peter Hughes & Catherine Quin

address: Ballicromy
bap. 20 May 1810  Armagh, Armagh
Roman Catholic
parents: Edward Hughes & Ellen Filloon

address: Rathtrillick
bap. 20 May 1823  Tynan, Armagh
Roman Catholic
parents: James Hughes & Alice Hughes

If you find anything else let me know and I will look again. Hope something helps, Kim