Author Topic: Music Hall Middlesbrough 1871  (Read 22986 times)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Music Hall Middlesbrough 1871
« Reply #27 on: Friday 19 March 10 23:17 GMT (UK) »

I've asked one of the mods to remove it, in case John isn't quite sure how to.

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LFNewby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 March 10 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for your message. I will get back to you shortly. i actually found your post on here by googling, and i did have a log in some time ago but I'd forgotten what email I'd used etc, so then I had to rejoin, so I'm still 1 post short before I'm allowed to send a message!

Lauren!

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am new to Roots so apologies if I haven't posted correctly.

I am desperately trying to find some information on my great grandparents, specifically my great grandmother whose name was Elizabeth Yeadon (nee Jackson). She and my great grandfather were both Music Hall Artistes in the early 1900's and as they lived in Middlesborough I assume this is where they performed. According to my grandmothers birth certificate they were performing in 1915 (the year my grandmother was born) but I am not sure how long their careers spanned - into the 20's at least I think). My grandfather whose real name was James Arthur Yeadon went under the stage name of Frank Mckay or McKye so my mother recalls and we think was a comedian. My great grandmothers stage name is Lila.... but we are unsure of the surname - we think she was a singer but unsure. I have seen on the National Archives website that there is a photo of a music hall artiste called Lila Dolores held at the Greater Manchester County Record Office and wonder if there is any link. I live in Worcestershire so unless I could go there and get a copy of the photo to show to my mother (to see if she recognises her)  I dont know how I could solve this puzzle. It seems a long way to go for such a long shot.
I am fascinated by my great grandparents rather colourful life in the music hall and would be so grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction of how I could start piecing together the clues. I would love to be able to find out more about them, especially about my great grandmother as she was quite a lady! So many mysteries I dont know where to start. :-)
Any help would be gratefully received!
:D

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 05 August 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hello

I think that this census entry probably shows the lady who married Arthur James Yeadon in the third quarter of 1911 ....

Middlesbrough RG13/4585 Folio 104 Page 42

Matthew Jackson Head S 33 Ironstone Miner (Under Ground) Yorks Guisbro
Isabella England Housekeeper M 29 Gen Serv (Domestic) Yorks Guisbro
Elizabeth M Jackson Daur 6 Yorks Guisbro
Henrietta England Daur 4 Yorks Guisbro
Lilian Jackson England Daur 2 Yorks Guisbro

Cottage Back of High Street, Normanby

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 August 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the info - I hadn't been able to find her in a census so far so that is a great help - she was obviously born slightly later than I had assumed.  I have requested a marriage certificate, so slowly piecing together the details. Now all I need to do is try and find out about her music hall career and the reason for her travelling under a different name to Rio de Janeiro with her two children in 1920, when she was suposedly married to James Arthur Yeadon (thanks Posterior - for your kind help with that also!).

Does anyone know how I go about finding Divorce records - I cant seem to find anything on Ancestry for Divorces. I know she remarried in later life but have no idea when she divorced James Arthur Eden.

Another query I have is her son was 'sent' at age 14 (without any family member) to Western Australia in 1927. He sailed on the Vedic with 644 other passengers on 14th october (this I learnt from my mothers cousin who is also researching the Yeadon line. It is unknown why he went on his own - he was so young, maybe he ran away, or was 'sent' but why we dont know. Would a 14 year old boy be able to travel alone? He lost touch with his immediate family until my grandmother (his sister) got the salvation army involved and they tracked him down in Western Australia but his departure remains a mystery. I am unable to view the passenger list of the vedic so I can only assume he travelled alone.  If it was in the 1800's I would have assumed he got into some sort of trouble with the law and went on a convict ship but 1927 I believe was too late for this.  Any ideas? This line of my family is one mystery after another!

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 August 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Sophie

A direct descendant of Eric Yeadon might contact you in the near future from Australia. You might also get a sight of the Vedic Passenger List.

Are you certain that James and Elizabeth divorced ? There seem to be two death registrations that would fit (unless one or both of them is a strange coincidence) ...

Third quarter of 1957 at Blackpool - Elizabeth M Yeadon aged 63 (10b 465)

Second quarter of 1965 at Blackpool - James A Yeadon aged 87 (10b 484)

When your mother and her parents went to Australia in 1955, their address in UK was in Blackpool.

posteria

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 06 August 10 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thats great!
Can I just confirm which census year the information kindly provided is from?

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 06 August 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
The census information provided in Reply #30 is from 1901.

I think that Isabella was originally called Isabella Learman and she married a William England in 1890. She appears with him on the 1891 census. She then subequently paired up with Matthew Jackson and apparently had three children with him.

On the 1881 census Isabella is quite difficult to find but she is there if you are able to work out all of the clues. Once you know who she is listed as, on the 1881 census, it is reasonably easy to trace her family back.

If you cannot find her (when you have had a good look) please let us know and I (or someone else) will tell you where to look, if you wish to know.

posteria

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 07 August 10 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thats amazing - thank you so much!

We have definately found the right information as interestingly I. England was a witness at Elizabeth Jacksons marriage. Isabella must have married Matthew Jackson after 1911. Interestingly (my great grandmother is a total mystery!!) if she was 6 in 1901 according to the census, she would have only been 16 when she married. Her marriage certificate says 21!  I'll need to now look for her birth in the indexes to double check which of these records are correct.

Its highly unlikely then that I England was Elizabeth's birth mother and I assume whoever she was died before Elizabeth was 6 (prior to 1901).

Well I know what I will be doing this evening!!

Thank you, you really have been most helpful and so kind! Really appreciate it.
Sophie