Author Topic: Stisted - John Wood  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Stisted - John Wood
« on: Monday 29 November 04 20:50 GMT (UK) »
In a small lot of old documents that I bought on auction there are two very early 18th C. manuscripts relating to John Wood of Stisted. If these are of interest to anybody I can provide details.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stisted - John Wood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 11 10:26 BST (UK) »
I wrote this long ago so it may be that some Rootschatter is descended from that Wood family of Stisted.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Artist42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 October 15 03:31 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate information on the John Wood of Stistead document you hold. The name occurs in a couple of records I have seen in online catalogues.

A 'John Wood, late of Stisted and now of Kelvedon, tanner' and John Stacie of Bocking, clothier' are named in a lease and release dated 24/25 Sep 1656 (SEAX Catalogue ref D/DU 2360/3).

In a more recent document catalogued by The National Archives (UK), in Papers relating to St Marylebone: Agreement that John Stacie of 'The Bedford Arms', public house, Covent Garden, vintner, assign to Joseph Hider of Upper Marylebone Street, stablekeeper, a lease [of property in Park Lane] dated 28 February 1777 and a bill of exchange dated 30 October [1792], acquired by John Stacie from John Wood, deceased, late of Park Lane, and also the household goods and effects of John Wood. D.Misc/228 17 March 1793.

I would like to clarify the identities of those named in the old documents. The latter John Stacie (c.1739 - 1815), who had several properties besides the Bedford Arms, bred and raced thoroughbred horses. He is my ancestor. 

Ara

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 15 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Many names in the documents starting with his immediate family but then also James Whooley, Joshua Grigsby, Richard Tubby,Mr Sparrow, James Brightson, John Sutton. Thomas young, the widow Seaman and others. John Wood mentions many properties he owns but none in Park Lane or London.

However, the John Wood of 1656 could easily be an ancestor of this John and this John was surely decease by 1777/1792.

As far as I can see the name Stacie is not there.

Offline Artist42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 October 15 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Names in your document are unfamiliar.

I tried to post Stacie and Wood references – too long, cut twice, now bitsy and won't work. Will attach doc of what's left. Still won't let me. Different file type. Didn't work. Try RTF last attempt.

I am seeking the family of John Stacie (c.1739 - 1815) of Covent Garden, who also was of Loughton, Essex (bred horses there) and had hotel at Weymouth, house at Bath, etc. This record is probably relates to John Wood who died Park Lane 16 Feb 1793. In National Archives (UK) Ref, D.Misc/228: Agreement that John Stacie of 'The Bedford Arms', public house, Covent Garden vintner, assign to Joseph Hider of Upper Marylebone Street, stablekeeper, a lease [of property in Park Lane] dated 28 February 1777 and a bill of exchange dated 30 October [1792], acquired by John Stacie from John Wood, deceased, late of Park Lane, and also the household goods and effects of John Wood. Date 17 March 1793.