Author Topic: Boswell Family  (Read 8186 times)

Offline Melanie Boswell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boswell Family
« on: Thursday 05 April 07 18:48 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on tracing my husband's Boswell family?   

It's a bit of a long story, but will keep it as short as possible!   I know that they were a travelling family, as my father-in-law spent his first 10 years travelling round the Surrey/Kent area living in a caravan and then went to live with his grandmother Boswell in a house.

My father-in-law does not remember his father who was called Henry/Harry Boswell.  Henry left the family when my father-in-law was 6 months old.

The only information I have on Henry Boswell is from his marriage certificate - he married Anne McKenna on 31 May 1937 at St Albans Register Office.  His occupation was Florist and age given was 35.  It's quite difficult to trace his birth as there are so many Henry/Harry Boswells registered and I have no idea where he was born.

His father's name was Thomas Boswell and occupation was Slaughterman.  I believe that Thomas had the following children:  Betty, Sue, Bill and a Thomas Mark E Boswell - who died in 2000 in Faversham, Kent.  Thomas Mark E Boswell's birth date according to the death register is 27 March 1909 - the problem I have is that I cannot find his birth registered for that year. 

Anyone got any ideas to what I could try next?

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 07 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Melanie

Who was father in law's grandmother BOSWELL?  Do you have any name, address, date and/or place of death for her?

The birthplace of Thomas Mark should be on his death certificate but, of course, it will only be as accurate as known by the person who registered the death.

Who were the witnesses to Henry's marriage - were any of those his relatives?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 07 23:17 BST (UK) »
There is this odd baptism entry at Ash next Ridley in Kent of a Susan BOSWELL with a father Thomas but whether there is any connection or not :-\

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eo/

Have also noticed a Susan K BOSWELL married a Samuel BEANEY in the Faversham area ................. looks like she possibly died 1994 Chatham area and though her death registration says born June 1911 I wonder if she looks a possible for the Susan K BOSWELL baptised (as above)?  Does that ring any bells ???

There is also a William BOSWELL married a Charlotte HARRIS in the Faversham area and a Betty BOSWELL married a George HARRIS in Kent - would there be any connections there?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 07 23:56 BST (UK) »
suggest you contact Bob Dawson of The Romany and Traveller Family History Society, he wrote a book about the Boswells and tried to connect their family tree. Most likely he would know something.

his website is here:

http://www.robertdawson.co.uk/index.html

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 April 07 23:58 BST (UK) »
p.s I should add, that the Boswells are one of the largest Romany clans, so it might take a bit of working out, unless he has info on your particular branch of the family. But I found him to be a very helpful character when I wrote to him (many years ago now).

Offline Melanie Boswell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 07 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your suggestions - I'm going to see my father-in-law tomorrow, so will see if any of the marriages listed for the Boswells ring any bells with him.

My father-in-law's Boswell family did not have much to do with him, I've asked many times if he remembers his grandmother Boswell's name and he doesn't know.  His father Henry went on to have a second family, which were considered to be the only family he had.

The witnesses to the marriage of Henry and Anne do not seem to be relations - they were E C Clerkson and F Dudley Hood.

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 April 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Melanie
A gipsy king named Dan Boswell is buried in our local churchyard at Selston St Helens, Nottinghamshire.  1737-1827 Just thought you might be interested.
I think the MI reads

I've lodged in many a town
I've travelled many a year
But death at length has brought me down
To ? my last lodging here
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 April 07 01:48 BST (UK) »
I have also just discovered that many gypsies brought their children to Selston Church after Dan Boswell died to have them christened in a church where a gypsy king was buried.
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 June 07 23:55 BST (UK) »
Melanie
Are you out there or have you gone roamin' ? :)
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY