Author Topic: George Street Chapel Huddersfield - does it still exist?  (Read 7724 times)

Offline sec3mitchdr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Street Chapel Huddersfield - does it still exist?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 February 11 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not sure whether or not this is still a live issue but in researching one of my ancestors I have just received a copy of a marriage certificate for a marriage between John Mitchell and Lucy Ream on 24th Dec 1862.  It was at the George Street Chapel Huddersfield and carried out 'according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Evangelical Union Independents' by Robert Stainton and the Registrar was William Crow.
Hope its of interest.
Regards
David

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 February 11 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Family history never ends, so I am always glad to hear new information about my family  ;)

How fabulous that my great great great grandfather officiated at your relatives wedding!! He was a very passionate and engaging man, so rest assured I am certain that it was a wonderful service!! He was also apparently a very good singer....not that I am suggesting that he may have broken into song during the wedding!

Thanks for adding some flavour to my research, now I know what he was doing Christmas Eve in 1862.... it is much appreciated :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline sec3mitchdr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 February 11 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenny

Thanks for welcome - yes I did wonder about a Christmas Eve Wedding!

I am trying to get a feel for the religious leanings of my relatives which I think were not mainstream - whatever that was at the time.  Do you have further info about the nature of your GGG Grandfather's ministry and what was meant by 'Evangelical Union Independents' that was on the marriage certificate.  I believe it to be some form of congregationalism but any info would be appreciated.

Regards

David

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 February 11 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes he was a congregational minister, I will have a hunt around and see if I can find anything amongst my research that might be of interest  ;)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline sec3mitchdr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 February 11 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jenny - any info will be appreciated.

ps If you ever got a photo of the chapel where my GGG Grandfather was a married is it possible to get a copy?

David

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 February 11 08:18 GMT (UK) »
I'll PM you so we can exchange e-mails and I can send you the info on George Street Chapel that Philip sent me  ;)

Offline Suziq2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Just collected a marriage in 1885 at George Street Chapel, Huddersfield from ancestry.co.uk It is in their Nonconformist collection.  It is in the register book for Milton Congregational Church.

Don't know whether this is any help!

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Milton chapel is on the other side of town and is in the university just round from Saint Paul's church.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Suziq2, but I just checked Ancestry and the boys baptisms still don't seem to feature...oh well  ::)