Author Topic: Elstons of Bourne  (Read 8938 times)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elstons of Bourne
« on: Friday 06 April 07 22:43 BST (UK) »
Back to 1680 with this line of Elston/Elstone/Elsom etc
Thomas Elsom was the father of Thomas Elston/Elsom who married Ann Osborne and later Catherine Reed. In turn his son Thomas married Prudence (H)Inkley and later Ann Corby. Cutting a long story short, their grandson Thomas married Elizabeth Hewerdine at Bourne in 1822, he was supposedly born in Norwich even though the family are firmly rooted in Bourne. This pair were my 3x great grandparents on my maternal-paternal line.
Would like to hear from anyone belonging to this family - bearing in mind there were a lot of other Elston families about who were (apparently) not related.

Offline CLLM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Elstons of Bourne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 May 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a Sarah Elsom who would have been born 1800-1810.  She married John Woodhouse Everitt who was born in Norfolk, had a daughter Mary Ann born 1831 and died soon after.

I am not sure that the Sarah married to John Everitt was an Elsom, but daughter Mary Ann was baptized soon after birth with the name Mary Ann Sarah Everitt and again in 1836 with the name Mary Ann Elsom Everitt at the same church, with the same parents and father's profession the same, but Sarah deceased.  I have found no Elsoms on the father's side.  I am guessing the reason for the name change was to honor the mother's family.  I can think of no other reason for the name change.  Elsom has to relate to someone, it is not a common given name.  Mary Ann continued to use the name Elsom in official records.

This mother--Sarah--is such a mystery.  I can find only one marriage for a John Everitt to a Sarah in the Middlesex area in the time period, about 1825-1830.  That was to the widow Sarah James.  I think this could be the right marriage but cannot find a marriage for a Sarah to a Mr James to see if this Sarah was an Elsom.

I have been finding information about John Everitt's family but nothing about Sarah's.  John was a jeweler/goldsmith in the area around London. He was born in 1804 and died in 1845.

I would like to find some clues to any Sarah Elsom that might fit here.  Can anybody help?

Claire
London/Middlesex: Pennell, Everitt, Vost, Elsom
Kent: Pennell
Norfolk: Everitt, Woodhouse, Long, Cubitt, Claxon, Helsden, Brown, Hooker

Offline nannienz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 09 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I have traced my daughter's birth family back from Lily Elston of Holbeach.  Using Ancestry and IGI I have just arrived at Thos. Elsom who was married to a Prudence.  I checked on this site and came across your information.  I would love to find out more and to know where you found your information.  Many thanks.

Offline CLLM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
Since my last post I have made a discovery.  The marriage of widow Sarah James to John Everitt was the right Sarah.  On the Origins search site I looked for a male James who died around 1820's (Mary Ann Elsom Everitt, the daughter, was born 1831).  I found a David James whose death is registered at St Leonard's Shoreditch in 1821.  I checked and found a marriage to a Sarah Levens at St Leonard's.  Knowing that the Elsom name came from somewhere, I checked to see if Sarah Leven's mother was an Elsom.  What I found was a John Levens who was married to Sarah Elsom.  So Sarah Elsom first married John Levens, then David James who died, then John Everitt. 

I found a Sarah Susannah Elsom who was baptized at  St Leonard's in 1814, born in 1798, no location listed.  Her  parents are John and Mary.  They had several children baptized at St Leonard's but no marriage.  I found a marriage for a John Elsom (Ellson) and Mary Vergo in Deptford, Kent in 1795 with a daughter born there in 1796.  So, it is my theory that this couple moved to the Shoreditch area about 1800 after 2 daughters, one of them Sarah, were born in Deptford.  In Shoreditch they had several children born and baptized.

The marriage for Sarah Elsom & Jon Levens was at Finsbury.  The marriage for Sarah Levens and David James was at Shoreditch.  The marriage for Sarah James and John Everitt was in London.  So all are in a close area.  So I am assuming her family  was in that area also.

Actually I am assuming a lot, but everything has lined up.  It would be great to find some documents to prove all of this theory, but as of yet I have none.  I have looked for family of John Elsom/Ellson and Mary Vergo/Virgo.  But I have not really found anything on them. 

If you know of a John Elsom born about 1770's in the Kent area or around the London area, please let me know. 

London/Middlesex: Pennell, Everitt, Vost, Elsom
Kent: Pennell
Norfolk: Everitt, Woodhouse, Long, Cubitt, Claxon, Helsden, Brown, Hooker

Offline hewey24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 October 09 05:07 GMT (UK) »
In regards to your post in April 2007, you mentioned Elizabeth Hewerdine who was married to Thomas Elston.  I'm interested in any info you have about her.  I am a Hewerdine living in Canada.  I have traced back to my gt gt gt grandfather Henry Hewerdine who was born and died in Bourne.  I am trying to figure out who his parents or siblings are.  I am speculating that Elizabeth is a sister as well as an Ann Hewerdine.   They were also born in Bourne.  Henry was born in 1815 and I think Elizabeth was born in 1801.  And somewhat related to this, Henry's son John Henry married an Elizabeth Bosworth and had my gt grandfather.  However, Elizabeth Bosworth was married before this to a George Elston in Bourne and had two sons William and John.

Regards,

Bill

Offline lynhenderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 December 09 13:58 GMT (UK) »
lily elston of holbeach may have been my great aunt,her parents were martha reed and william elston.Is this your lily?

Offline nannienz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 December 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes the very same.  It is my daughter's paternal birth family that I am researching now

Offline lynhenderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 December 09 19:33 GMT (UK) »
was lily elston your daughters birth mother? we do not know of any girls being adopted out of the family.there were a few boys that were adopted around 1970ish.
Lilly elston married a mr blaylock is this the birth fathers name?

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 December 09 19:43 GMT (UK) »
You shouldn't talk about living people on these boards.  Use the Personal Message system ... click on someone's name and you will find an option to send a PM.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.