Author Topic: Crossmolina Church Records  (Read 160865 times)

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crossmolina Church Records
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
I am confused- are we looking for a Mark Gough, or John and Bridget (Dooher) McGoff?

Soundlamp, PLEASE read my original post on Crossmolina church records so I don't have to pull info from you. I am more than happy to help but I don't have the patience to filter or assume info.

Also, is your ancestor FROM Crossmolina, or is this a guess?
Thank you,
Diane Sweeney Groman

Offline Youngie1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Monday 26 June 17 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hi diski
         My name is Tom Young , my great grandmother was Bridget Jane Dooher, her parents were Anthony Dooher(1841-1881)and Mary McCavock( 1846-1925)I know Anthony's father is John,(1806-1882)I'm trying to find out his moms name, On my heritage it shows his father living in Ballymachola with anthoneys siblings ,Micheal 1836-1870 , John 1840 1935,Catherine 0000-1895 ,Eleanor 1846-1911, Ann, also Mary McCavock fathers name is Michael and I don't know mothers name, any help would be appreciated. Thank you Tom Young

Offline BKM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Mackey (Mckey) Crossmolina Church Records
« Reply #272 on: Thursday 31 August 17 04:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Diski,

I am seeking Crossmolina records regarding Thomas Mackey.  He is the patriarch of the McKey clan who emigrated to Wisconsin and Chicago, USA in the 1840's.

Thomas did not emigrate though all his offspring had gone overseas. Thomas' wife Maria Forrester left for the US with their last remaining minor child after Thomas' death to join her children in the US.

Thomas Mackey is buried in Crossmolina. Any records you may have regarding Thomas MacKey and Maria Forrester Mackey in Crossmolina is much appticiated.

One unanswered question is why the entire family altered the name to Mckey in the US, including the matriarch Maria! https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=57023285

Cheers, BK Marshall

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: Sunday 03 September 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Youngie1
I also have the Dooher surname in my Sweeney line. I am wondering if you have more info on John,  the son of Anthony.I am wondering if we might have a connection here. My John Dooher married Mary Cawley. Do you know more about Michael? Have any of your Doohers gone to Syracuse NY in the late 1890-1920s?
I have a LOT of Dooher info from the One name study I did not just from Crossmolina, but Kilfian, and all parishes in North Mayo, and maybe between the 2 of us we can piece together some logic out of all these names and family groups I have acquired.
I do have three births of Anthony Dooher and Mary McAvock that you probably already have:
Bridget b 1869, Catherine 1871 and Ann 1873. I have no others, nor a marriage for them.
Sadly, the births of Anthony, 1841 and all his siblings, are too early for most Catholic registers.
So rather than look for just John Dooher, I tried to search under Dooher for at least some of the children that were born that early and still no luck. Its just to early unfortunately.
However, through my correspondence  in searching out MY Dooher line I have found that my Johns father was also a John, possibly from Cooneal.
We should email privately, as its too much info for this list.I will PM my email address to you.

Diski

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McKey
« Reply #274 on: Sunday 03 September 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have search all my databases and haven't found any McKey, McKay.. ect. in my Catholic or Church of Ireland vital records. And, as I have stated many times, any time before the 1850s is very early for the registers.And you have the unfortunate timing of being near the famine which of course, decimate the Irish population.
I would suggest you keep a VERY open mind while doing Irish research as far as names and its spellings (dates as well!). Prior to 1900 many names were spelled how the person writing the info down heard it. McKey could be spelled a variety of ways-with or without the Mc or Mac in front, Kay, Key Cay Cey? Imagine yourself hearing the name with a brogue your unfamiliar with. Many people back then couldn't read or write so they couldn't spell it either. You can imagine how messed up records got! As far as dates go, the general population had no need to know birth dates until the Old Age pensions came about. Everything was a guess- dates in the census could vary wildly from decade to decade. Also, the year of birth may need to be 'adjusted' so that they could marry, or join the army.or any other reason. Dates and name spelling are not concrete!

I DID find info on Mackie Macky (can you see how McKey might SOUND like Macky?) but only in COI records:
1804 Confirm Michael Mackin
1817 Confirm Edward and Robert Mackin
May 7 1819 Burial of Edward Mackin, 27y of Knocklegela
1807 Feb 8 Marriage Peter Macky and Mary Peters
I also found this:
Jan 1847 Mary, born to Thomas Macky?? and Eliza Lally, of Crossmolina Town.
(I couldn't read the surname clearly unfortunately).
The records for Church of Ireland covered several parishes but I only copied what was readily available for Crossmolina as I don't have COI ancestors. This was obtained from LDS film # 897365 should you wish to pursue that avenue.

As I mentioned, if you know your family was Catholic, the early records were very poor. See my intro for further explanation of this.
I also looked into the Tithe Applotment and didn't find any McKey Mackie Macky...
All in all, an unsatisfying few hours! Maybe you could check in with North Mayo and ask them for info-they have all cemetery records as well as births. They can also give suggestions for further research.
http://www.northmayogenealogy.com/

I also wonder if the MaKey name originated from another name. I was doing research for a fellow that was looking for the name TWIGG. I found nothing at all even though he was positive they came from Crossmolina. I later found out that the TWIG name came from TOUGHY.... whodaguessed THAT name spelling!? Suddenly I found several records for him. Just saying that is a distinct possiblity since we know they came from Crossmolina and are not finding anything significant.
I also checked the Flax done in 1798 and found no Macky or MacKeys ect. Now the Tithe and Flax does not list EVERONE in the parish, only those participation in the progroms.
Good luck!
Diski

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Sunday 10 September 17 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Diski

I have ancestors that are causing me a headache as I cant find anything about their lives in Co Mayo.
The only information I have is my GGG grandfather was born near Castlebar ( info from poor law record Glasgow)
I'm not sure if Crossmolina is near Castlebar , however if it is would you be able to look this up.

Matthew Donnelly
born 1840c
near Castlebar Co Mayo

Parents..Matthew Donnelly (horse dealer) and Mary Donnelly ms King

Death..4/11/1890 Glasgow( I have this record)

Married.. Mary Moran ( can't find marriage cert)
Mary Moran
born 1840c
Co Mayo

parents..John Moran ( farmer) and Catherine Moran?

Death..18/8/1906 Glasgow( I have this record)

All the information I have about them born in Co Mayo came from poor relief records in Glasgow.

Other than what I already know of their lives in Glasgow  I;m afraid this is all the information I have for them in Ireland .

Regards Rosie

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Sunday 10 September 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Diski
Mathew Donnelly mother was Catherine King . Not Mary King as I stated in my previous post( should review before I send ::))

Regards Rosie

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: Monday 11 September 17 02:45 BST (UK) »
R.C. baptism registers for Castlebar began 1838, marriage registers started 1824. Parish is also known as Aglish, Ballyhean and Breaghy. Images of original registers available online at National Library of Ireland website.
 www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx
An accompanying note states they are "in great disarray".

Crossmolina is a different parish, some distance north of Castlebar.
Cowban

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Rosina, Castlebar
« Reply #278 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 19:21 BST (UK) »

Rosina
Castlebar is a parish or two away from Crossmolina, as mentioned by another blogger.

Good luck to you,
Diski