Author Topic: Crossmolina Church Records  (Read 160871 times)

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crossmolina Chruch Records
« Reply #27 on: Friday 07 November 08 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Samiie,
I have the following for you:
Marriage of John Flemming and JEAN Corcoran in 1833. Residence was Enaghbeg.
Son, John born 12 Aug 1833. Witnesses were William Flemming and Betty Gultry/Godfrey.
A child born (couldn't read the name)  abt Sept 24 1846. One column was cut off so the birth or christening could be the date given here. Male witness could not be read, female witness was Mary Flemming.

In 1833, the Tithe has a James, William and John Flemming in seperate homes in EnaghMORE, under subdivision called Dublin. There is also a holding under Enaghmore called Corkron (Corcoran varient) Holding, although there were no Corkron or Corcorans (or Flemmings) on the land! Enaghbeg South had a Patrick Flemming.
I am in the very slow process of trying to correct errors and add missing info in the database, but it is very slow going. You can request again in a few months to see if I have moore for you- seems like there should be more children born to them by.

Diane

Offline samiie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 07 November 08 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Diane, for looking up the Fleming/Corcoran families.  1833 seems a little early for my Jane Corcoran/John Fleming marriage.  Census records in the US indicate Jane was born in 1820.  If it is Jane, can you tell which church this wedding took place in?  I am assuming the children were baptized in the same church. 

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 07 November 08 22:12 GMT (UK) »
It would be called St Tiernans I believe. The film does not state the church. Also, there were "chapels" that could have been filmed together in the PARISH of Crossmolina film. There is a church in Crossmolina that is called St Tiernan today, but the original one was either replaced, or repaired. I was there for my Sweeney reunion in 2005 and is very beautiful with lots of stained glass. If you do a google search you should find a photo on line of the present day church.

In 1820, there was no catholic church since it was illegal/against the law to be catholic. Catholic Emancipation occured abt 1833, and thats when the churches were being built. There are no Catholic records before 1830-baptisms and marriages were done on the sly.

As for birth years and ages, as well as spellings of surnames and townland,you should be very open minded. Even in 1911 the ages were 10 years off! They had no reason to know the actual birthdate until the 1900s when the Old Age Pension was put into effect. Sometimes they would hide there age for various reasons as well.
Admittedly, being a 13 yr old bride is a bit young, but if she became pregnant prior to marriage- they would have married. The age was most likely a guestimate so its likely she was 15 or so.

Diane/Diski

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 November 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear Diski,  what a wonderful offer and welcome to RootsChat!!  My maternal grandmother's family are I understand from Co. Mayo and you may be able to help.  Robert Loftus (Lofthouse),  born circa. 1827. was the father of my G/Grand Dad (Thomas Loftus), born 1849.  The following info. is gleaned from Griffiths:   County:   Mayo
                Barony:  Gallen
                Union:    Swineford
                Parish:    Killaser
                Townland:  Cuillowaghtan
I am keenly trying to suss out when Robert got married and to whom!!  Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!     Bill

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Bill, but my offer is only for Crossmolina Parish in Co Mayo- I dont have registers for the other parishes. You can go to the Genforum or Rootsweb web site and look thru messages that might relate to your area of Mayo. The Co Mayo rootsweb has a great many baptisms on line from a good variety of southwest Mayo, Castlebar area.

You can also go to the Surname lists and post your names there-you would be surprised at the number of responses you will get with a good query!

Unfortunately 1827 is very early for catholic church records- most of the catholic registers didn't even start until aft 1830. You would be lucky indeed if they were COI (there registers started much earlier than Catholic)!
Good luck Bill,
Diski

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Dear Diski,

Please allow me to send a quick thank you,  a) for responding so quickly and directly and b) for giving me some other ideas in the search for my G/G/GF in Mayo.
Many thanks!!

Bill

Offline BetsyS

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 22 January 09 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi does this include Ballina please?
I wouldlove the Marriage of ..
Ellen Rowlands and Thomas Ruane of Cominch and parents of them if possible.
Husbands G Father was
Hugh Ruane of Cominch Feb 1877 one younger sister called Anne but older one's are  known of,
Thanks so much for the kind offer.
Sue x

Sue, Ellen Rowland and Thomas Ruane of Cominch are my great grandparents.  They were married February 14, 1858.  Here are the births of their children.  Ellen Ruane, born in 1862, was my grandmother.
Bridget   14 January 1859  Bridget married William Flynn 2-6-1883.
Mary         November 1860
Ellen        December 1862    Ellen immigrated to the USA in either   
             1885 or 1886.  She married Charles C Chambers 31 January
             1889 in Chicago Illinois.
Patrick   28 February 1864  Patrick died 12 July 1892 aged 24 years. 
             He died of Tuberculosis just a short time/2 mo. after he
             immigtated to Charles and Ellen (Ruane) Chambers.  Funeral
             from his sisters home Mrs Charles Chambers 95 East Huron
             St,Chicago to The Holy Name Cathedral to Calvery Cemetary
             in Chicago.
Winifred     May 1866  Winifred married John Moyles 12-4-1897.
Thomas    25 June 1868.  Thomas married Bridget Naughton and their descendents still own the farm in
            Cominch.
Margaret   6 November 1870
Mary         May 1873  Mary married Thomas Walshe 24-3-1895
Cathrine   3 October 1875 (I think she was known as Celia)
Hugh      14 february 1877
Honor     27 July 1879
Ann  I am not sure of her birth date.  I think it was about 1881.

Offline okrobie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Thanks for your help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 26 January 09 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Diski, Thanks for your kind offer. I really really appreciate it. I hope I have enough information to help you search.

I'm looking for information on John Caregan who was born in Crossmolina around 1822 plus or minus. More specifically he was from Tawnakeel or Toonakeel. Is that part of Crossmolina or is it separate? He had at least one child, Bridget who was born in Crossmolina in 1842. Bridget may have changed her name to Corrigan. She was later married to John J Staunton or Stanton on 16 Feb 1864.

I'm also looking for information on Patt Staunton who was born around 1820 or so. He was born in Barycostello, which I believe is also in or near Crossmolina. He had at least one child who was John J Staunton or Stanton who was born in 1843 I believe in Crossmolina.

I would really like to learn the names of their wives and marriage dates.

Again, Thank you.  Jim Robson
Robson, Toomey, Monroe, Henehan, Stanton, Staunton, Caregan, Corrigan, Valentine, Wells, Marks, Simpson, Young

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crossmolina Church Records
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 29 January 09 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,
Tawnakeel is a townland in Crossmolina Parish.
I have no Caregan entries, most are Corrigan/Currigan. The person who entered the names into the Church register wrote the names as he heard it, and there is a wide variety of creative spellings for surnames in any parish register. So, the name Caregan and Currigan are the same name, it was not changed. The same registrar could have spelled the same name any number of ways- its amazing how creative they were!
Specifically those in the Tawnakeel townland was a Pat Corrigan and Mary Clarke, (Clark, Clerk...) but at a later date than your are looking for. There was no Tawnakeel listed in 1833 Tithe, but in the Griffiths Valuation (1850)  there was a Patrick Corrigan mentioned in Tawnakeel.
YEAR   MONTH   CHILD   FATHER   SURNAME   MOTHER   SURNAME   RESIDENCE   
1854    June   John   Pat   Corrigan   Mary   Clarke   Tubrid            
1862   June   Mich   Pat   Corrigan   Mary   Clarke   Tawnakeel            
1863   July   Martin   Pat   Corrigan   Mary   Clarke   Cloonkelly            
1868    April   Br   Pat   Corrigan   Mary   Clarke   Tawnakeel            
1856    11-May   Peter   Pat   Corrigan   Mary   Clarke   Tawnakeel
1860    Feb   Pat   Pat   Corrigan   Mary   Clarke               
1853    6-Feb   MARRIAGE Pat   Corrigan   Mary   Clarke

Early Corrigan couples that may possibly be parents to your John :
John Corrigan and Mary Dooher? had William in 1841. I couldnt read the townland.
Pat Corrigan and Catherine Loftus of Letterbrick. They had Patrick in 1846 and Martin in 1850. A Peter age 19 and Patrick age 11, both of Townakeel, attended Letterbrick School in 1873.

Bryan Corrigan and Jane Bourke of Enaghbeg- they had several children, including one in 1845 whose name I could not read. Bryan was living in Enaghbeg in 1833 Tithe records.

Here are all the Corrigan families listed in the Griffith Valuation:
CARROWKEEL   Bryan   Corrigan
CARROWKEEL   Daniel   Corrigan
COOLNABINNIA   Anthony   Corrigan
ENAGH BEG   Mary   Corrigan
TAWNAKEEL   Thomas   Corrigan

On to the Stanton/Staunton info:
We have no townland called Barycostello, but we do have a Rathnacostello.
There were not many Stanton/Staunton christenings or marriages in Crossmolina:
1864    16-Feb   MARRIAGE John   Stanton   Bridget   Corrigan   Rathnacostello
1854    Sept   Laughlin   Malachy   Stanton   Mary   Barrett   
1863   Oct   Malachy   Malachy   Stanton   Mary   Barrett   
1856    30-Dec   Wm   Laughlin   Stanton   Mary   Barrett   Shipe (Killeen)

There were no Stantons in 1833 when the Tithe was done. In 1856 Griffiths Valuation has in Killeen "Tenents of Stanton" but no given name for this person. There were no other Stauntons listed in all of the parish.

Thats all I have for now Jim. Please be aware that the register is difficult to read-pages missing, torn, faded, unreadable, and I may have interpreted the written words wrong, and even though I did the best I could, there are errors. The film is 1279204 from the FHC-you should look at it yourself.

Diane