Author Topic: Crossmolina Church Records  (Read 161327 times)

Offline okrobie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Thanks for your help.
    • View Profile
Re: Crossmolina Chruch Records
« Reply #36 on: Friday 30 January 09 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diane, Thank you for all your hard work. That must have taken hours. I appreciate it.

Thank you also for the teaching as you went along.

You confirmed the marriage date of John and Bridget and raised new information about Rathnacostello, which heretofore was unknown to me.
You also provided much other information which someday may fall into place like pieces to a puzzle.

Thanks for the film number. Can you give me a URL to the FHC? I've gone through the links in the beginners section but don't seem to find it. I will definitely look it up.

And lastly... Thank you!!! :)

Best regards, Jim Robson

Robson, Toomey, Monroe, Henehan, Stanton, Staunton, Caregan, Corrigan, Valentine, Wells, Marks, Simpson, Young

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crossmolina Church Records
« Reply #37 on: Friday 30 January 09 23:56 GMT (UK) »
The Family History Center Library link is:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhl/frameset_library.asp?PAGE=library_collection.asp

There is a great deal of info on this site, and lots of records are free.

Tawnakeel, as I mentioned, was not listed as a townland in 1833 so it must have been under another townland prior to that time. If you have a lot of research i Crossmolina Parish, I recommend Tony Donohoe's book "History of Crossmolina". Very informative, but not well indexed.

Let me know if you have other questions or names to lookup,

Diane

Offline Johno1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 08 February 09 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning,
This is my first attempt to find additional information about my grandfather, Francis O'Boyle who was cited in the 1901 Mayo census, age 40.  What I have found thusfar from the 1901 census is:
Francis O'Boyle was married to Mary McLoughlin, age 30.
They had the following children born between 1893 and 1901: James, Patrick, Hugh and my father Michael O'Boyle [who was born in 1901].
My father knew little of his father, Francis, because he died in 1902.  My father believes that Francis emigrated to the United States in the 1800's and returned to Mayo where he bought a farm in or near Corvoderry, Moygawnagh, Mayo Ireland where he lived with his children until his death.  Sometime after 1902, the family moved into Crossmolina.  My father, Michael emigrated to New York City in 1927.

Much thanks in advance if you can help fill the gaps in our family history. 

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 08 February 09 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Johno
I have your Oboyle family in Corvoderry for 1911, but only have heads of house:
Ed   McLaughlin
Mich   McLaughlin
Fr   O'Boyle
Owen   O'Boyle, Jr
Owen   O'Boyle, Sr
Jas   O'Boyle
Neil   O'Boyle
Cath   McLaughlin
Jas   McLaughlin
Wm   Hopkins
Mich   McDonald, Jr
Mich   McDonald, Sr

Unfortunately I have no christening for Moygawnagh or for the time frame. My records for marriage and christenings are Crossmolina cover basically 1835-1880.
However, Oboyle is a popular name and there are several people that are actively researching a FRANCIS OBoyle in Crossmolina. I highly recommend posting your info on the rootsweb Co Mayo site to find those that are active in researching. Be sure to check the archives for old posts because there has been quite a bit of activity for Francis OBoyle. Here are the Francis Oboyle that were born in Crossmolina-remember there are a lot of names that I could not read, or pages missing from the register so its not complete. If you can get the name of Francis father, and if they have Crossmolina connections I can probably help you.
Diane

What townland were they living in when they went to Crossmolina?

1850    30-Nov   Fr   Mich   OBoyle   Cath Mary   Fergus   Loch-   Pat   Flemming   Mary   Oboyle
1874   Jan   Fr   John   OBoyle   Cath   Lynn   Lean            
1874   July   Fr   Fr   OBoyle   Cath   Gill   Rathmore   Robt   Gill   Mary   Cafferkty
1879   August 14   Fr   Owen   OBoyle   Mary   Hefferan      Jn   Hefferan   Msr?   Hefferan
1857    12-Jul   Fr   Pat   OBoyle   Br   Rowland   Lacklustraun   Pat   Hogan   Honor   Rowland
1874   15 jul   Fr   Mich   OBoyle   Cath   Gill               

Offline caz129

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi I wonder if you can help.
My great grandfather's birth cert states that he was born in Crossmolina on the 3/11/1874 - baptised in Killala
Name: Martin Lamond - we now the name as Lammond

I have not seen the certificate but it apparently states father as John Lamond and mother as Anne Browne.

Is there any records you have relating to the name Lamond as I don't seem to be having much luck..
Thank you
Caroline

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 12 February 09 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

Oddly, I can find NO Lammond in the register, even though I see 2 Lammond living in Toureen when Griffiths Valuation took place ca 1855ish. They were:
John Lammond
David Lammond

I look in the IGI for varients and couldn't find those either.

I also looked under mothers or wives named Brown/e with no close matches. The register I have is Catholic christening and marriages only.

Was your Lammond Catholic? Was there a townland mentioned?

Its possible that he was born in the Crossmolina DISTRICT and not the parish of Crossmolina. That would entail other parishes which I don't have.

Sorry I don't have more for you Caroline,
Diski

Offline caz129

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 12 February 09 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking... It is such an unusuall name that I am betting that the John Lammond in Toureen must be his father..
Staunch Catholic - Martin had 12 children including my Grandad David Lammond all brought up Catholic.
Thank you so much
Caroline

Offline mamev1

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 26 February 09 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi I wonder if you can help.
My great grandfather's birth cert states that he was born in Crossmolina on the 3/11/1874 - baptised in Killala
Name: Martin Lamond - we now the name as Lammond

I have not seen the certificate but it apparently states father as John Lamond and mother as Anne Browne.

Is there any records you have relating to the name Lamond as I don't seem to be having much luck..
Thank you
Caroline

Dear Caroline,

I am also a descendant of John Lamin (as the name appears in early records) and Anne Ruane. I live in the US. My grandfather, Patrick, was the oldest of their children. Others who came here were Mary, who married Patrick Grifferty, and lived in Philadelphia, John, who married Mary Fleming and lived in Scranton, William, who was killed in the mines in 1900 and Mikie, who married Mary Carnahan and lived also in Philadelphia. I have met the descendants of Maggie, the youngest girl who still live in Mayo, and son Thomas's son, Peter who had the farm in Rathnamaugh. We have been trying to track down Martin. He was the youngest son, probably born after 1880 and we knew he lied in London.

We have the whole scoop on the family so please contact me at (*). I'm enclosing a picture of my grandfather. Everybody in the family more or less resembles him.

Your cuz,

Marybeth VW

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
County Mayo - Gallagher, Gillespie/Gelaspy, Ruddy, McHale, O'Donnell, O'Boyle, Lammin/Lammond, Mullin, Munnelly, Hughes, Golden, Tigue

Offline mamev1

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 27 February 09 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I am also a descendant of John Lammin. In the US, the name became Lamond. He was the son of John Lammin and Mary Mullins, and also had a sister, Elizabeth. In early Crossmmolina Church records, it appears that there was a James Lammin as well. John Lammin's wife was Anne Ruane. This is sometimes written as Rowen, which may account for the confusion with the name, Browne.

John and Ann had the following children: Patrick, d. Scranton, PA 1911, Mary, d. Philadelphia, PA 1936, John, d. Scranton, PA., 1945, William, d. 1900, Scranton, PA,  Michael, d. Philadelphia, 1955,  Catherine, (may have died in childhood), James,Thomas and Maggie, who remained in Ireland and Martin, who moved to London.

They were all born at Tooreen, in Crossmolina Parish, Diocese of Kilalla. Thomas seems to have moved to Rathnamaugh after he married. We have managed to track down most of the descendants, but until I saw the posting here, had no way of finding Martin. Is there any way of passing this message along to Caroline?
County Mayo - Gallagher, Gillespie/Gelaspy, Ruddy, McHale, O'Donnell, O'Boyle, Lammin/Lammond, Mullin, Munnelly, Hughes, Golden, Tigue