Author Topic: Thomson Family  (Read 5524 times)

Offline TonyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomson Family
« on: Monday 09 April 07 21:48 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find who the parents of George Thomson were.
George Thomson (b-abt-1798)
married Catherine Cochrane.
Catherine was c-29 JUL 1798 at Lochwinnoch, Renfrew
I believe Catherine's parents were, Hector Cochrane and Katherine McLean
From the IGI records I have found the following information.
George and Catherine married on 16 May 1822 in Lochwinnoch, Renfrew.
As far as I can tell, they had the following children;
1.William Thomson -c-29Jun 1823 in Lochwinnoch, Renfrew
2. Hector Cochrane Thomson -c-21 Nov 1824 in Lochwinnoch, Renfrew
3. George Thomson -b- 18 Sept 1829 in Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton and c-04 OCT 1829 - Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton
4. Margaret Thomson -b- 5 July 1831 Barony, Lanark
5. Catherine Thomson -b-15 Dec 1833 Barony, Lanark
Any information on this family or where I might be able to find records on them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tony
Thomson-Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire/Glasgow,Lanarkshire/
Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton
McVey-Glasgow
Milroy-Kirkcowan(Wigtownshire)
Westland-Pinchbeck(Lincolnshire)
Henley-(Lancashire?)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 07 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Tony

Have you looked at the marriage image (or film at the LDS) to see if there are any further details. Sometimes it will give the parish of the parties to the marriage. (sometimes it gives no more information than is on the index  :(  )

Looking at the naming patterns it is most likely that George's father is William & if I had to, I would guess his mother is Margaret - given that you said Catherine's mother is Katherine. It would normally be the 2nd girl child named after the father's mother, but if the child's mother & maternal grandmother have the same name this could vary.

There is an 1803 birth in Glasgow for a George, parents William and Margaret on the IGI. There are many possibles if you just select father William.

It is possible that the parents may still be living in 1841. You could look for them living nearby. Do you have any census records for George and Catherine?

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TonyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 07 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I don't live near a LDS library to check out their film but have searched the IGI records on their internet site.

I have found another possible child of George and Catherine.

CATHERINE THOMSON

Christening: 15 APR 1827   Middle Church, Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland

Parents:
  Father:  GEORGE THOMSON
  Mother:  CATHERINE

Using the naming pattern I agree with you that George's father was a William.

If the above Catherine is their 3rd child, do you think she would be named after the father or the mother's mother. ???

I have come up with 3 posible George Thomsons. One may be the George you mention.

1. George-b-30 Apr 1803, Glasgow
Parents; William Thomson and Margaret Miller (submitted entry)
2.George-b-02 Feb 1800, Spott, East Lothian
Parents; William Thomson and Margaret Scott(submitted entry)
3. George-b-21 Mar 1793; c-22 Mar 1793, Row, Dunbarton
Parents; William Thomson and Kathrine McLallan

On FreeCEN ,in the 1841 census I found;

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

The first 4 children seem to match up with the ones that I am searching. I am now searching to see if Samuel and Margaret had the same children.
Or perhaps, George and Catherine died and the children went to live with this couple.

Once I gather enough info to go on, I do plan on trying the ScotlandsPeople site.

It certainly is confusing at times.

Tony
McVey-Glasgow
Henley-(Lancashire?)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 07 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Tony

The naming of the daughters is usually

No 1 after mothers mother
Nos 2 fathers mother
No 3 mother

Because in this case 1 and 3 appear to be the same name, I thought the father's mother may have come first - otherwise where did the Margaret come from?

If Catherine is the oldest daughter, that then makes the naming patterns exact - but 2 children with the same name - the eldest lass could have died, of course.

the census you found is interesting. Mother Margaret doesn't seem old enough to own the first couple of children (given that 1841 ages are rounded down) - she could just make it perhaps is she was really 35  :)  - so it could be a couple of families together.

The births you found - George son of William and Margaret Miller 1803 - is an extracted record - which was why I thought it a possible.

I'll have a browse of the census too. I agree it's a good idea to search around before going to SP - very easy to spend money there (and then discover the information on the IGI) but sometimes it is very useful IF a baptism contains extra information.

Trish

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 April 07 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

To help you fill the gaps of the children, the OPR index for the births/christenings of George and Catherine's children show the following on two of the entries:

30/10/1831   THOMSON   MARGARET   GEORGE THOMSON/CATHERINE
COCHRAN  CHILD 4   F   Barony   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   622/ 0090 0188

26/01/1834   THOMSON   CATHERINE   GEORGE THOMSON/CATHERINE
COCHRAN  CHILD 6   F   Barony   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   622/ 0090 0421

Assuming this is correct, the gap in the children that you have to date would be between both these girls.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TonyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 April 07 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
 thanks for the info. Those would be the Christening dates.

And thanks Trish, for your help.

I Googled Scottish naming patterns and the results I got would fit the 6 children listed.
One result said that if a child died, sometimes they would use the name again for another child's name
But either way the names match up.
==================
1st Son named after Fathers Father--William-c-29 Jun 1823

2nd Son named after Mothers Father--Hector-c-21 Nov 1824

1st Daughter named after Mothers Mother--Catherine-c-15 Apr 1827

3rd Son named after Father--George-b-18 Sept 1829, c-04 Oct 1829

2nd Daughter named after Fathers Mother--Margaret-b-05 Jul 1831 c-30 Oct 1831

3rd Daughter named after Mother--Catherine-b-15 Dec 1833 c-26 Jan 1834

I searched the IGI and couldn't find any Samuel Thomsons married to a Margaret that had any children named William, Hector or George.
I found a Samuel and Margaret who were married in 1833 and had a child Agnes in 1839.

Now I wonder if this Samuel is related to George somehow.

Hector came to Canada in 1848, so he won't be in the later census.

Would the ScotlandsPeople site possibly give the parents names on the OPR's Banns and Marriages??

Thanks for the help,

Tony
McVey-Glasgow
Henley-(Lancashire?)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 07 09:32 BST (UK) »
You are more likely to get the wife's father mentioned on banns or marriage, but there have been both parents on rare occasions. I have found if a parent is mentioned - the IGI will actually have the transcription (e.g see the marriage for Jean Johnston & Alexander Falconer 1844 Edinburgh on the IGI.) The transcript for this one gave the father of the bride and the occupation of groom and father of the bride.

No wonder I couldn't find Hector anywhere  ???  That had me confused - it is such a nice name to look for  :)

Trish

Offline TonyT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 April 07 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

The name got carried on for at least a couple of generations.
Hector named a son, Hector Cochrane and his grandson by his son John, called a son Hector Cochrane.

I had my first experience with ScotlandsPeople this morning.

I must say that one should have a good idea of what and who to search or one could spend their money very quickly.

Also, hi-speed internet would be a great asset.

I take it that the date they give is not the marriage date.

For example, on George and Katherine's "marriage" notice, it mentions 2 days where on another couple's, it mentions 3 days ???

Tony
McVey-Glasgow
Henley-(Lancashire?)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 April 07 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Tony

If you haven't seen it - check this thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,227058.0.html

read the link, you can get 20 credits gratis at SP - can help - it is very easy to spend credits at SP as you are discovering   :(

It does keep a record of all your searches and images bought, so you can go back and check them any time. I have been known to pay for the same records twice - not a smart move!

I'm not sure what you mean re the dates - is it that there are 2 different records referenced on different dates? If you read some of the help on SP, it talks about the banns vs. the marriage. There are often records for both. banns were usually called for 3 weeks, but I think SP only indexes one copy. There can also be additional records if the bride and groom lived in different parishes, as the banns were supposed to be called in both parishes

Most sites today do much better with broadband - In oz (where I am) it doesn't seem to cost much more than dial-up, once the cost of the calls is taken into account.

Trish