Author Topic: 1861 1851 census look up Downing & Bailey  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 1851 census look up Downing & Bailey
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 12 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ted

I'm afraid I really know very little about this family. Another family member said that Susan was registered as a midwife in Christchurch NZ, which was where they settled.
Of the 6 children that I know of born in England. The eldest Rebecca Elizabeth b. abt 1855 married Carl (Charles) Rudolph White in 1879 in NZ and Eli Downing married a Lillian Turner but I don't know when yet.
Sorry I haven't been much help.
Liz
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline egaten

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 March 12 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Thanks for that. Every little helps.

cheers,

Ted
Gaten, Laband, Rue, Downing in Leicestershire

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 March 12 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ted

Your query prompted me to look at this family again.
George and Susan continued to have children after they arrived in New Zealand. They had at least 12 in total, the last I have found was born on 7 Feb 1880.
Susan was buried in Addington Cemetery in Christchurch in Sep 1923 but I have no record of George's demise. He possibly died in Dec 1906 but I have no firm evidence about that. He may also have been working as the verger of St Mary's Church in Addington Christchurch at the time of his death. I had a look around Addington Cemetery but Susan's grave is now unmarked the records show a William Downing buried with Susan who is the right age to be George so I suspect it could well be a transcription error and this is where George is buried. There is a record in 1907 from Church minutes saying Mr G Downing had died so a new Verger had been hired.
As to his occupation in 3 of his children's marriage certificates his occupation is listed
In 1879 as a labourer then in 1884, 1885  listed as a gardener so a Verger sounds about right too.

If you would like the details of the children perhaps personal message is the best way to proceed - if you send be your email address I can scan what I have and send it to you.
Liz
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith