Author Topic: Gribbin family  (Read 6845 times)

Offline maryd

• My emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Gribbin family
« on: Thursday 12 April 07 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am seeking info about any descendants from this family:
Parents James Gribbin b 1859 Cumberland m Elizabeth Hebditch b 1859 Somerset

Children:
John Henry b 1885 Bermuda
Douglas Albert b IOM
Elizabeth Julia b 05.03.1892 IOM
Frederick T b 1897
Mary A b 1900
James G b 1895

Elizabeth Julia married Jim Lowery in 1905 at Whitehaven, Cumberland, and had 4 children. She and her husband died within days of each other and the 3 remaining children were brought up separately by Lowery relatives.

I ahve this family on IGI, and some censuses, and would be interested in following any of the other lines. All 3 orphanned children were my father's first cousins, and I have some info/ photos to share.

Thank you

Mary
Denvir/ Denver anywhere - Cumberland/ Ireland
Lowery Cumberland
Bruce Cumberland
Downey Ireland
Christie
Graham Cumberland
Gribbin/ Gribben Isle of Man
Hebditch
O'Connor Cumberland
Vickers Cumberland

Offline karencp2000

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gribbin family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 August 08 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Mary - have just signed up to rootschat - My paternal Grandmother was Blanche Mary Gribben.  born in Doulas Isle of Man -  in 1898 -She had  three siblings - one looks like Edward but difficult to read the writing -  b 1895, Ideline A.G. born 1893 and Letitia M born in 1900 - all in DOuglas Isle of Man - Conchan St Barnabas Parish.

Her parents are listed in the 1901 census Douglas Isle of Man as  James Goebben b 1865 and Elizabeth Goebben 1864  - so assume the name was originally German - the children's surnames are all spelled GRIBBEN - maybe it was a name change after WW1

Don't know if this helps - would like to find out more about them - my grandmother died in England in the mid 60's - (Blanche) Her sister was still alive and loving in St Helen's Blackpool with Blanche's youngest daughter Valerie Buckley nee Beary and Blanch married Kevin Eugene Beary and had 4 children Anthony James, Kevin Eugene, Valerie and Brian who died in his 20's.

Hope to hear from you
Cheers for now
KAren Coates Palgrave (nee Beary

Offline maryd

• My emails are not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 September 08 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry for the delay in response. I have been looking through my notes, as I recalled the names you mentioned, but other than noting the family, I have no connection (YET!!!) with them. It might be worth mentioning that my Gribbins were in England in 1905, and have a marriage recorded that year - spelt Gribbin - so name change due to WW1 does not seem correct for 'my lot'.
My main interest is in Elizabeth Julia Gribbin, who married Jim Lowery in 1905, and having 4 children, both parents and 1 child died in quick succession, leaving the other 3 children to be brought up by Lowery relatives. It seems a shame that the Gribbin link vanished. Elizabeth Julia had several siblings but I can't find them either!!

Mary
Denvir/ Denver anywhere - Cumberland/ Ireland
Lowery Cumberland
Bruce Cumberland
Downey Ireland
Christie
Graham Cumberland
Gribbin/ Gribben Isle of Man
Hebditch
O'Connor Cumberland
Vickers Cumberland

Offline kenharr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 October 16 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
It may be of interest to you
Mary Jane Gribbin b 1885 Whitehaven sister of James Gribbin  married Philip Lynch b 1857 m Bradden 8.6.1877
Philip and Mary Jane were my great grandparents.

Ken