Author Topic: Beattie family in Hawick  (Read 36345 times)

Offline RMP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beattie family
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 December 11 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out more about the Great War service (if any) of Robert John Beattie (b. 1880 d. 1960); his younger brother William Campbell Beattie was killed in France in 1917. My great-great aunt Elizabeth Porter was their mother. Their father, Thomas Beattie, was David Johnstone Beattie's uncle.

There's a few tantalizing possibilities in the War Office records, but I need more specific details to ensure that I've got the right man.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful. Any pics would be particularly welcome.

It's a strange thing, but I came across the current owner of W C Beattie's 1914-15 Star in another online chatroom.

Very best wishes (and Merry Christmas!), Robbie

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie family in Hawick
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 20:49 GMT (UK) »
The writer and broadcaster Alistair Moffat and the geneticist Dr. Jim Wilson of Edinburgh University have jointly produced a book about Scotland's genetic genealogy, and extracts have been published in the Scotsman. In today's article, some familiar surnames are examined, and the following passage may be of interest to people following this thread -

"Other results simply surprise, and on a personal level. For someone who played rugby for Kelso in the Border League, fixtures against Langholm were not to be taken lightly. Tough and uncompromising, their forwards hunted in a pack and often ground out a good result. In my playing days half the Langholm pack seemed to be called Beattie – an apposite surname, and I always assumed that it must be native to the Borders, or Dumfriesshire at a stretch. In fact the story starts in Ireland, in Leinster in the south-east. The major descent group of the Beatties carry the marker S169. Known as the Irish Sea Type, it traces descent from the Kings of Leinster who were originally the chiefs of the Lagin Clans. Such high-born beginnings do not dull the memories of bruises at the hands and feet of Langholm Beatties. But the presence of these uncompromising men might be a memory of a migration from Ireland. Only more testing will tell."

Harry

Offline M6

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 31 December 11 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, was advised yesterday in Langholm that someone on this site was looking for information about the Beattie family, not sure if you are the person in question but notice that you have discussed my grandfather Robert John Beattie and my father Thomas Campbell Beattie as well as my aunts Elizabeth and Agnes, I have a family tree which was prepared by dads cousin Kenneth Beattie from Carlisle these Beatties go back to 1674 and are related to Hounams along the way, if you are interested in further information let me know

Offline Ray Beattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 31 December 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks for your input. I have the family tree prepared by Kenneth Beattie - he was my father's (George) brother.
That said I have quite a number of gaps on your side of the family which I would like to fill.
If you would like a CD of the Beattie tree please comeback at *
and you can see where my deficiencies are.
Ray

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline RMP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robert John Beattie
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 January 12 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hullo M6,

Well, by my reckoning we're 3rd cousins!

Robert John Beattie and his brother William Campbell Beattie were my 1st cousins twice removed, their mother being my great-great aunt (and your great grandmother!) Elizabeth Porter.

I'm particularly interested in the brothers' experiences in the Great War (I know that WCB was a sgt. in the KOSB and was killed in 1917).

Do you have photographs of them both? Also, I'd love to see the family tree that you mentioned.

Bytheway, was RJB a postman at any time? I found an interesting pic in the Langholm Archives that might be of him!

Many thanks and best wishes, Robbie Porter

Offline Mauney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 April 12 20:51 BST (UK) »
I am so glad I stumbled across this site.
My name is Maureen Crawford, my mother Constance Beattie and my grandfather David Johnstone Beattie.
I am very interested to read the comments and realise the connections and extended family. I well remember travelling on the bus with my grandparents from Carlisle up to Hawick.  I remember my Auntie Cha.
I see a comment from my cousin Ray, he and I were born a day apart.  We had lots of cousins. I would love to know something of the lost year.
I would also love details of the family tree, I remember my Uncle Ken showing it to us in Carlisle.  My children, especially my daughter Rachael, are very interested in their true background.
I have lived in New Zealand since 1974 and feel somewhat remote from my family roots.

Offline Ray Beattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 April 12 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen
Strangely enough I was in Langholm yesterday and visited grandfathers house in Jamie's Brae. I have an extended family tree which I can email to you if we can manage to get contact details. It will be good to catch up after 50 odd years!!
Ray

Offline Mauney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 April 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Ray,

I think I have to post a few notes before I can enter an email address but you probably could and then I can reply - I am truly interested in the Beattie side of the family.  I put David Johnstone Beattie into Google and up he came.  There was a picture of him and the office in Warwick Road.  Rachael has a photo of my Mum aged about two sitting in the office chair.  This was on the firm's calendar for that year - about 1915 or so.

Maureen :)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi  - distant coz, Mauney!

Have you seen this pic before? Cha on left, Jenny on right. Lady in middle is my maternal grandmother, Kate Meyers who married Cha and Jenny's brother, Joseph Edward Beattie. It was Joe and David that set up the stonemason's business, first in Murrell Hill and later at the premises in Warwick Road.

If you've trawl back through this thread you'll get some idea of where I fit into the picture!  ;D

Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England