Author Topic: Ballymacarrett  (Read 32575 times)

Offline linjacarsa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballymacarrett
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 March 11 20:17 GMT (UK) »
My father was born in the Ballymacarett area in 1917 and so too were all his siblings.  St Patrick's was the family church, and as a child I spent most of my summers there.  I always understood that this part of Belfast, i.e. the Newtownards Road was in County Down.

Offline sonny231035

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 July 11 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there! My two greats grandparents came out to Queensland in 1863, with 7 children and despite a measles epidemic all of them survived the trip! They were on the "Montmorency" and my great grandfather was born here. All the children were baptised in St Patrick's Ballymacarret Co Down. We are assuming that Samuel and Elizabeth (nee Roseman) Reid, were married there in 1840. Can anyone help me with finding out more!! I live in Queensland Australia and it is really hard searching from this end of the world!!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 July 11 12:16 BST (UK) »
According to the PRONI website they hold copies of St Patrick’s parish records. Baptisms 1827 – 1893 and marriages 1827 – 1900 (with a small gap 1872-73). Perhaps someone will look them up for you, but if not you can order copies of most of the microfilm parish records in to your nearest LDS library, for a small fee.
Elwyn

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 June 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Here's a conundrum for all you Ballymacarrett experts. In 1915 a young man keen to serve his country enlisted in Belfast. His daddy found out and 59 days later he was un-enlisted as he had only been born in 1898. His records show he was born in Ballymacarrett in August of that year and that his father lived at 20 Campbell Park Avenue, Belmont.

He had given his name as Samuel Haire Pentland and his father's as William John. You might think that with two censuses on-line during his short life he would be easy to trace but you would be wrong. There is no trace of any Samuel of the correct age in either 1901 or 1911 and neither is there a William John who fits as his father.

It may be he was less than honest with his name, as he had been with his age. Perhaps he was not even a Pentland but one might have expected the authorities to note any discrepancies on his record as they did with his date of birth but none were noted.

Clearly, I would be delighted if any of you good folks can produce an answer but my reason for posting here was to add to the boundary debate. there has already been one correct answer - The Lagan was the boundary between Down and Antrim. It did not change in the 1880s, however as this chap was born in 1898 in Ballymacarret, Co. Down. No surprise since the borough of Belfast would then have been very much smaller and parts of modern day Belfast governed as a part of either Antrim or Down. Postal addresses are very modern and bear little relation to the boundaries recognisable from the nineteenth century.

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 June 12 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
1918 street directory on Lennonwylie has a W.J.Haire (fitter)living at 20 Campbell Pk Avenue
jim

and an A McMordie(school teacher) living there in 1910.
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 June 12 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
perhaps they wernt living in Ireland at the time of the census?(in the army?)
Theres a William J Haire who signed the Covenant and gives his address as 13h Ramsdens Dock Rd,late of Seaview Street Belfast,(if thats of any help?)Do you know what Williams wife was called?
jim
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 13:50 BST (UK) »
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 14:07 BST (UK) »
William John Pendleton labourer,father George, painter13 Cullingtree Place, married Ellen Marshall, father Samuel,ropemaker 10 Skipton Street on 8/3/1889 in Mountpottinger Methodist Church.  This is in Ballymacarrett.

Samuel Pendleton 
Registration District: Belfast 
Event Type: BIRTHS 
Registration Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1898 
Estimated Birth Year: 
Age (at Death): 
(this is from LDS)

RosemaryJoan