Author Topic: James Findlay b.1804, New Machar, Aberdeenshire  (Read 14510 times)

Offline Alain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Findlay b.1804, New Machar, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 March 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have just discovered this forum...

I am working on my brother-in-law's genealogy.

his mother
Ann Cummins FINDLAY 1922-2015

Grand-Parents
Francis FINDLAY B 31.03.1876 D 15.09.1947
M 5.3.1912
Catherine GALLOW B 26.04.1883 D 23.02.1952

Grand-grand-parents
Robert FINDLAY B 28.05.1835 D 30.03.1898
M 11.3.1864
Jessie STEPHEN B 1835 D 8.11.1920

Alexander GALLOW B 24.12.1846 D 15.02.1902
M 17.12.1869
Ann CUMMINS B 12.05.1851 D 13.03.1931

GGGP
Robert FINDLAY B 11.11.1792 D 1836-1851
M 8.07.1820
Helen MARSHALL B ca 1790 D 11.01.1858

Alexander STEPHEN B ca 1800 D aft 1877
M 29.01.1826
Elizabeth JAMIESON B ca 1799 D 28.06.1877

George GALLOW B 26.09.1816 D ca 1896
M 08.03.1844
Helen MELVIN B 27.08.1820 D 08.01.1891

Edward CUMMINS B 16.03.1789 D 20.02.1875
M 14.10.1839
Margaret MOIR B 26.02.1815 D 14.09.1881

Teresa's post seems to confirm what I have found.

Maybe we can share more...

Alain

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alain,

Welcome to RootsChat, hopefully the other member will reply to your post very soon.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter M. Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting this. I added the data for your brother-in-law's grandparents to my tree.
Peter Smith
(I believe, but am not certain, that a gggf James Findlay, who came to Canada in 1836, was a brother of Robert Findlay (1835-1898))

Offline Alain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Indeed Robert FINDLAY 1835 had a brother James, born ca 1823.
However, I find him as farm labourer in the 1851 census. But for that reason he could not have emigrated to Canada in 1836.

This does not look positive...

Do you have other data about the FINDLAY family?

Alain Wuilbaut

Offline Peter M. Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry, I was not paying attention to what I wrote! I should have written that my James was (I believe) a brother of the Robert Findlay (1792-) who married Helen Marshall. I have the parents of this Robert Findlay as James Findlay and Christian Mutch, and that this James Findlay was buried in 1824:

1824 New Machar Deaths & Burials
June 10th, James Findlay, Farmer Upper Rannieshill, an elder of this parish, aged sixty-seven years, was interred in the Chappel of Moniekebbuck-Burying ground.

This farm (Upper Rannieshill) is a short distance (c. 2 km) from the farm of Edgehill in Foveran where my gggm Margaret Ruxton was born, i.e. they could easily have met.

The only written evidence I have is that on his death record was written that he was born 1804 at New Machar.

Peter Smith

Offline Alain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you for the correction.
Small detail: I find 2 marriages for James FINDLAY and Margaret RUXTON: 20/8/1826 in Foveran and 27/8/1826 in New Machar. Could that mean that the wedding took place in Foveran and was transcripted in New Machar registry the following week? Or that the marriage was announced in Foveran and took place in New Machar? Or...?

Alain Wuilbaut

Offline Peter M. Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I have seen the Foveran parish register on microfilm, and it appears they were married there:

Marriages
August 20 James Findlay Newmachar and Margaret Ruxton were married.

Why the marriage was also recorded a week later at Newmachar I can't say, but I have seen this more than once in Scotland, i.e. a marriage recorded at both the bride's and the groom's parish, so perhaps it was a custom to in some way celebrate the marriage a second time at the groom's parish.

Peter

PS Another bit of (circumstantial) evidence re the parents of my James Findlay. Anne Findlay, born 1800 at Upper Rannieshill, i.e. a sister of your Robert, married Robert Connon of Udny. Their son Thomas Connon, born 14 Sep 1832 at Udny, came in 1853 to the same village (Elora) in Ontario where my James Findlay and his family had settled in 1836. A son of this Thomas Connon, John Robert Connon, wrote a book about the history of Elora and in it mentions the family of James Findlay in quite a bit of detail, as if (so I hope!) he was related:

The Early History of Elora and Vicinity, by John Connon, p.92:

About this time a young man came on the scene who was to play a conspicuous part in the community. This was Mr. George Barron, whose native place was Savoch i'Deer in Aberdeenshire, Coming to Canada, several years before this, he had worked in the vicinity of Whitby. There he heard of the Bon accord colony, and came up to investigate. He returned some time later, and, about Christmas, 1835, married Miss Elspet Watt, who had, up to this time, kept house for her brother. This was the first marriage in the settlement.  A few days later. Mr. Watt set out on a visit to Scotland, leaving the newly-married couple to look after his house until his return. Having married in Scotland, Mr. Watt again sailed from Aberdeen on the 16th of April, on the ship 'Pacific, and arrived at Elora on the 10th of June, 1836. In this, the fifth party there was, besides Mr. and Mrs. Watt, James Findlay, who was born in the Parish of New Machar Oct 5th, 1804, and his wife, Margaret Ruxton, from the Parish of Foveran. Their four eldest children were born in Scotland, their family being : Agnes, Mrs. George Smith, living in Brantford ; William is the well known auctioneer and resident of Salem ; John is in Victoria, B. C. ; David, lived for many years in Salem, died in Windsor ; James is in Shoal Lake, Manitoba ; Alexander died in Toronto ; Robert is in Sudbury, and Charles in Shoal Lake Manitoba.

("Agnes, Mrs George Smith" is my great grandmother)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Why the marriage was also recorded a week later at Newmachar I can't say, but I have seen this more than once in Scotland, i.e. a marriage recorded at both the bride's and the groom's parish, so perhaps it was a custom to in some way celebrate the marriage a second time at the groom's parish.
No. There was only one celebration, most commonly in the bride's parish.

What is actually recorded in the OPRs is not always the actual wedding, but the proclamation of the banns. If the couple lived in different parishes, the banns had to be called in both, and this resulted in two records of the proclamations, one in each parish. The different dates would be because one clerk wrote it down before the banns were proclaimed, and the other wrote it down afterwards.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.