Author Topic: jAQUES/HUGUENOTS?/ORIGINS  (Read 10597 times)

Offline flossy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
jAQUES/HUGUENOTS?/ORIGINS
« on: Thursday 19 April 07 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I wonder if any surname expert out there could tell me the origin of the name Jaques.  I have got far enough back in my tree to believe they may have been decended from french huguenots. Also another surname linked to jaques is Dennett, is this also a french name?
       I have evidence that the family were in the printing business back in the 1700s. Living in London.
       My father told me his grandmother (Hennrietta Jaques) was from a french family. Was it common for the hugenots to hold on to their french roots for so long?

Flossy

Offline sandra46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: jAQUES/HUGUENOTS?/ORIGINS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just saw your mail after posting mine , my name was Jex , but years ago it was spelt as jeckes. The story I heard is that it is french after two brothers came over from france they were Jaques, the spelling then changed over the years, to form Jex.

Hope we can find out more

best wishes Sandra
Jex Suffolk and Norfolk lincoln
Morling Suffolk
Boulton Shropshire
Hill Shropshire
froggatt Lincoln Derbyshire Notts
Morrey Shropshire
Prodger Denbighshire
Blair Lincoln
Golding Suffolk
Parsons Lincoln
Avery Derbyshire

Offline flossy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
             Thanks for that info'. If I come across the name Jex or Jecks in the future I will keep them in mind as a possible family link.

Flossy

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 January 09 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Those Huguenots that came to England initially made their way to Threadneedle Street, so it is not surprising that a Huguenot society was based here. There are two websites that may help <www.huguenot.netnation.com>  and <www.huguenotsociety.org.uk> .

Good luck
Lovell, Emerson, Biggs, Collett, Gullifer/Gulefer, Naylor/nayler, Heath, Bentote

Offline flossy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 January 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »
thanks Bumblebee,

I already knew about the huguenot society. I've just had a quick look at the other one.

I have hit a bit of a brick wall with my Jaques research. I live in the north and it would seem that all the records I need ot check are in the south and not available online.

flossy

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 January 09 09:08 GMT (UK) »
There is more site that may be of use.  Try <www.geneanet.org> it is a website that seems to have a French bias. Worth a try?
Lovell, Emerson, Biggs, Collett, Gullifer/Gulefer, Naylor/nayler, Heath, Bentote

Offline Steve Dowell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 15 19:46 BST (UK) »
Billy jacques ( rugby player ) has a Wikipedia page  (my mothers grandad )

Offline lia vaz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 July 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Jacques,
name of Jewish origin. After some research, I discovered that Jaca is on the top of the Pyrenees in Spain, bordering France. From there all Jacques left for France in the year 1469 by decree of the Catholic kings Fernando de Aragón and Isabel de Castella. The mountains of Jaca (meaning mountain of Jacob, hence the name Jacques, or the originators of Jaca).
Jaca is a beautiful, very medieval town and was the first capital of the kingdom of Aragon. In the middle ages there were three great synagogues there.