Author Topic: William AMOR of Pewsey - Murderer  (Read 16040 times)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William AMOR of Pewsey - Murderer
« on: Thursday 19 April 07 17:12 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to filter fact from the folklore and fiction concerning the late-18th Century murder of John DYKE, tailor of Manningford Bruce, by William AMOR of Pewsey.

I'd be grateful for contact with anyone with access to 18th Century Wiltshire newspapers, or anyone else with knowledge of this crime.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William AMOR of Pewsey - Murderer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 07 17:32 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 April 07 18:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the swift response, Sarah.  I had used that website to obtain details published in Berrow's Worcester Journal, which enabled me to pursue Hampshire newspaper reports.

I'm now trying to locate any report of AMOR's apprehension and confession prior to trial. 

We are lucky to have the means to source much original material, which is likely to dispel the myths which have been woven into local folklore by Victorian and Edwardian authors! 
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Offline jonalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 07 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
Apparently not the only AMOR to be executed in Wiltshire!

"The Times" of Saturday 24th April 1824 gives details of the execution of one Edward AMOR at the Devizes Green Fair on Easter Tuesday, before 20-30,000 people (if you believe what you read).

Any relation to your Amor?

jonalex
Alexander; Alford; Ashby; Cosier; Ellis; Gunton; Hankcock; Vittle;
Cornwall; Dorset; Hampshire; Kent; Pembrokeshire;Sussex; Warwickshire; Wiltshire.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 April 07 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest, but it was research into Edward that led me to William, who was Edward's uncle.  Don't know if they're related to my AMORs of All Cannings - but there's every possibility .....

Offline gwill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest, but it was research into Edward that led me to William, who was Edward's uncle.  Don't know if they're related to my AMORs of All Cannings - but there's every possibility .....

I would be very interested to know how you established that Edward Amor was William's nephew, as I'm trying to find out if Edward is my grgrgrgrandfather.  I'm trying to find the ancestors of my grgrgrandfather George Amor, born c1824/5, Pewsey, who married Dinah Bullock.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 07:10 BST (UK) »
It may take a while to dig out sources but, in the meantime, I've 'cobbled together' some snippets from my early correspondence:

In nephew Edward AMOR's statement in 1824 [when under sentence of death himself for robbery and assault at All Cannings] he provided family hearsay concerning a murder perpetrated by his uncle [William] when his father was 'a boy at the plough'.  He identified the public-house in which his uncle encountered the murder victim, John DYKE, as The Swan, as it was called then, at Pewsey.

I referred to a letter to The Editor of the Devizes & Wiltshire Gazette published 6th May 1824 and a Handbill which stated that Edward Amor was aged 34 at the time of his own execution [likely year of birth c1790].  However, I learned subsequently that, at burial on 23 Apr 1824, Edward was recorded aged 39 with abode Woodborough in the Pewsey PR.

If memory serves me correct, these AMORs were not regular church-goers, hence difficulties in establishing relationships.  The 3d tax on entries in the PRs was introduced in the mid-1780s, which was a further deterrent to baptisms.  Edward's grandmother supposedly bore 20 children and his grandfather was a leaseholder, but further research was hampered without reference to their first names.

I hope this helps.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 07:41 BST (UK) »
"it seems his wife and family, wondering how the prisoner came by an unusual amount of money, spoke of it in public, and several other circumstances concurring to throw a suspicion on his having committed the murder, he was taken up; when he confessed......"

(Morning Chronicle March 9 1773)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 15:15 BST (UK) »
Sadly, the newspapers of the period repeated - verbatim -  original newspaper reports, and I've yet to locate one local paper indicating the actual date when William was 'taken up'.

Lloyd's Evening Post, Friday March 5th, indicated that William was committed to Fisherton gaol on 'Friday last', which I calculate to have been 26 February 1773.