Author Topic: William AMOR of Pewsey - Murderer  (Read 16038 times)

Offline gwill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William AMOR of Pewsey - Murderer
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
I should have known about Edward's uncle, as I read a report mentioning him which appeared on 1st January 1824 in the Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette.  My grgrgrandfather George Amor was baptised, so if this Edward was his father, it would appear that Edward's widow was not a "dissenter", as most of Edward's family were according to the newspaper report.

I still have no evidence showing a connection to my family.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 23:58 BST (UK) »
I should mention that, in order to be eligible for relief from the Poor Rate, there may be 'late' baptisms in respect of this Edward's children after their father's execution.  However, I've not located a marriage for him so his children may have used their mother's surname.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 May 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
Today I received a marriage certificate for Charles and Mary Ann Amor, nee Etwell, the witnesses to my grgrgrandfather's marriage in 1851.  Charles' father wasn't named, but the witnesses were George and Jane Amor.  My feeling is that Charles was a half-brother to George, and possibly Jane was another sibling, but I can't see any way of proving it unless some other records were to appear from somewhere.

Another possibility is that they were cousins, or not even related, as I have baptisms of five children, including a Charles in 1832 and Jane in 1837, to Thomas Amor and Mary Ann Andrews, in Pewsey.

Offline mark49152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 September 11 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hello - I'm looking for more information on the trial of Edward Amor and John Goodman, in particular the article from the Devizes & Wiltshire Gazette 18 March 1824 as referenced by the excellent summary by Richard Ozzard available at www.allcannings.org.  I can't seem to find an archive holding these newpapers - are they available anywhere?  Many thanks in advance.

Offline gwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
Mark,

If you let me have your e-mail address I'll send you what I have, which includes the Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette article, as an attachment.

Offline mark49152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 September 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
That's great, thanks Gwyn for your help.  The document you have appears to be the same fascinating account included in Richard Ozzard's archive and what I'm looking for is the original material referenced by this.

Does anyone know where I can get copies or complete transcripts of the newspaper articles referenced by this study?  Also, are there any surviving court records for the trial?

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 September 11 20:00 BST (UK) »
Certainly misnamed in his case  ;)
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 September 11 12:58 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to find an archive holding these newpapers - are they available anywhere?

If you can get access to The Times Digital Archive, either via your local library or online using your library ticket, you will find the report taken from the Devizes Gazette in The Times for Saturday, April 24, 1824.  I obtained my photocopy from film at my local reference library after reference to The Times index and before the days of online facilities.  I actually provided the copy that instigated Rick Ozzard's interest.

I think you will probably need access to Wiltshire Record Office to obtain copies of the other local newspaper reports.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paul moorhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 May 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Deejay, and anyone else who is still following this thread, this is  a very belated reply!  Are you aware of this  recent summary of news reports:?

http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Items/Pewsey/Pewsey%20-%20Trial%20&%20Execution%20of%20William%20Amor%201773.pdf

If there are court records they will be in either one of two places: The Assize Court which convicted and sentenced him are held in National Archives under ASSI 21:

A list all the 18th century records are here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ps=30&_p=1700&_ser=ASSI%2021&id=C2415

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2415 gives a summary of the contents of this series which includes the following: 'This series relates to criminal proceedings at the Western Circuit assizes, with the exception of Bristol minutes the minutes are complete from 1812 until the abolition of assizes by the Courts Act 1971. Before 1812 the rate of survival is erratic but it improves in the course of the eighteenth century.' Unfortunately 1773 doesn't seem to be one of the years which has survived :(

However there is an outside chance that there may be something inthe quarter sessions records in Wiltshire and Swindon history centre relating to Amor's commital to the Assizes.

Deejay, when you talk in your OP of 'folklore and fiction' are you referring to the story that Joseph Townsend the rector of Pewsey elicited Amor's confession by making alll his parishioners touch the body, at which Amor broke down? My interest is because I am a PhD student at St Andrews University researching Townsend, if anyone has material relating to this event or anything else occuring in Pewsey between 1760 and 1816 when Townsend died, I'd be interested to hear from you. Either message me here, or email *

Thanks Paul.

* Moderator comment: e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat guidance to prevent others spamming or abuse it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thanks