Author Topic: KIRKMAN, HENRY - born circa 1832 ALLOA CLACKMANNAN  (Read 10767 times)

Offline kirkmansharon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KIRKMAN, HENRY - born circa 1832 ALLOA CLACKMANNAN
« on: Thursday 19 April 07 20:05 BST (UK) »

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]

Hi there, I am trying to find my great-grandfather Henry Kirkman who I understand was born in Alloa, Clackmannan in about 1832 - this information could be incorrect but I would be grateful if any information relating to Henry, his mother or father, or siblings if any, could be passed on.

All I know is that Henry migrated to Australia - not sure how or when, he may have even arrived in Australia via USA.

I know he married Roseannah Dempsey in Brisbane in 1864 and had 5  boys: Henry, William (twins), John, and my grandfather, Samuel Kirkman, all born around the Calliope, Gladstone, Rockhampton, Mt Morgan areas of Queensland.

My feeling is that he may have gone to USA first given that there are so many Kirkmans there, but the most important thing is for me to locate his birth date and place, and his mother and father's details.

I would be very very grateful for any information which can be found on my behalf.

With thanks and best wishes, the Australian Connection Sharon Kirkman

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: KIRKMAN, HENRY - born circa 1832 ALLOA CLACKMANNAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

There is nothing showing up on Scotland's People for Henry's birth but if he was anything other than established Chuirch of Scvtoland is unlikely it would. pre 1855 there was no registration requirement so is a bit hit and miss.

If you know which church he was you could contact the National Archives Scotland and they can search for you but they only do very basic stuff - worth a try tho.

In terms of the USA connection I'd suggest a posting on the immigration boards but would really help if you knew where he;d gone in USA.

Happy searching

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline kirkmansharon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann, thanks for your information which is very much appreciated.  So far no luck, but Henry was married in the Church of England (Methodist) church in Queensland in 1864.   His father, I have established, was John Kirkman, woollen manufacturer, presumably English, but I haven't been successful there either.   I think if I track John Kirkman through his trade, it may help from there.

Thanks so much for your interest, I am stuck basically, and it is hard to know what to do from here, but I will check the archivist in Scotland - do you have any idea what the likely contact details would be please?

With best wishes,

Sharon Kirkman

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
was your henry called

henry john maynard kirkman?

could he have been born in kenton, suffolk?

son of john and elizabeth?

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 07 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Please see web link attached. http://www.nas.gov.uk/

Is worth giving them a ring first. I've always found them really helpful

Good luck!

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline kirkmansharon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann, thank you so much for the contact website for national archives Scotland, which I will try today.  Much appreciated.  I will keep you posted.

Hi Joe, thanks also for your message.   All I have is that Henry Kirkman's father was John Kirkman, woollen manufacturer, and Henry's mother was Mary Thompson and that Henry was born in Alloa Clackmannan Scotland, although there is nothing registered in Scotland that I can find so far.  It appears that 'Thompson' was a Scottish name.

I think John Kirkman would have been English, perhaps setting up trade opportunities with the mills in Scotland.  I have found that there was a mill in Alva, Clackmannan, but nothing else so far.

Thanks very much to you both.

Best wishes, Sharon Kirkman

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 07 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thomson, without a 'P' is how it is commonly spelled in Scotland.   For example there were over 87,000 Thomson deaths in Scotland between 1855 and 1956 but only just over 7,000 Thompson deaths.

I may be muddying the waters of your search a wee bit but a search of the 1841 census in Scotland's People shows a family named Kirman living in the adjacent county of Stirling.  I had a few credits to spare so I had a look.  The family lived in Cambusbarron in the Parish of St. Ninians.  The head of the family was recorded as a manufacturer.  The rest of the family and almost all the inhabitants of the village worked in the woollen and linen industry.

Unfortunately, the first names don't match yours BUT the actual census gives the family name as KIRKMAN in spite of Scotland's People's showing of Kirman!

Jim

Offline kirkmansharon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 June 07 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim, thanks so much for taking the time to check this out for me - it is really appreciated.

I hadn't realised the 'p' was not common in Thomson name so I will really take this on board.  Also the possible spelling for Kirkman!   I hadn't realised that either.

I will have a look at the 1841 Scotland census.  Anything else you can think of will be appreciated.   I was always lead to believe that we were Scottish but I am having my doubts now.  There are so many Mary Thom(p)sons and John Kirkmans it's not funny!   

Have a good day and thanks again.

Sharon Kirkman

Offline bk1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 June 14 00:10 BST (UK) »
In my Kirkman Marriage database, I have John K married Mary Thompson in Marton, Lancs ( suburb of Blackpool) 1841-Oct-24. Nothing further on them except the birth of the son Henry with no date.
This John is a woolen manufacturer.
I would appreciate any further info you may have, also maybe descendents to add to the database.
Brian Kirkman.  see Kirkman Genealogy on FB