Author Topic: Chrichton Royal Institution.Dumfries  (Read 21148 times)

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Chrichton Royal Institution.Dumfries
« on: Friday 20 April 07 23:30 BST (UK) »
 I have found my Gt Aunt Helen Martin (nee Brash) in the Chrichton Royal Institution in Dumfries in 1881 age 33, she was still there in 1901, age 52. I have searched Scotlands people for her death, to no avail.. Can anyone point me as to where I might find any info or records of this place. I believe it was for insane patients as that was mentioned on one of the census. Her husband was George Martin, who was a corn merchant, and a Marine Insurance broker. I can't find any further info,  being Scottish records.  Any thoughts on this topic appreciated.  Regards Dolly. 
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chrichton Royal Institution.Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 April 07 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello 'dolly dimples',

Scotlandspeople (SP) has two Helen Martin deaths, around the correct age, in Dumfries County between 1901-1956. Both turn out to be in Dumfries District. You say that you have already searched for her death on SP so I assume that you have you dismissed them.
I have not paid to look at the records but one is in 1929, age 80 and the other is in 1932, age 82.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 April 07 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi T.T.T.     thank's for your reply, I was at the end of my credits on S.P.   when searching for my Helen, I only came up with one possible, in 1918, and as her nee name was Brash I spent last credit on it, and it was the wrong one! Rather than waste any more money, which I always seem to on that site, I thought I'd try to find out more info about the Institution, and also wondered if  Helen had possibly moved from Dumfries after 1901.  Your 1929 one sounds a good possibility tho'  so I may stretch the budget and try again, although it would sadden me even more if I found that she had spent all those years locked away. She had 5 children between 18781 & 1881, then ended up in a mental  Institution, how awful eh? Thanks again, Dolly.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 07 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi T.T.T.     thank's for your reply, I was at the end of my credits on S.P.   when searching for my Helen, I only came up with one possible, in 1918, and as her nee name was Brash I spent last credit on it, and it was the wrong one! Rather than waste any more money, which I always seem to on that site, I thought I'd try to find out more info about the Institution, and also wondered if  Helen had possibly moved from Dumfries after 1901.  Your 1929 one sounds a good possibility tho'  so I may stretch the budget and try again, although it would sadden me even more if I found that she had spent all those years locked away. She had 5 children between 1871 & 1881, then ended up in a mental  Institution, how awful eh? Thanks again, Dolly.

Offline Tatty5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 December 07 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello :)

I too have gg-aunt who was committed to the Crichton Royal Insitution in Dumfries where she died in 1904.  I'm under the impression that she was sent there as a "patient" - from details given in her husband's will, but her death certificate suggests that she ended up as a "housekeeper" at the Institution.   I am intrigued about why she was there and what conditions would have been like for her.  From different accounts, the Asylum was a pioneering one - but I suppose that is relatively speaking!

Would anyone know if patients' records from the 19th century exist and whether they are accessible?

Kind regards
Trisha
Jackson - Lanarkshire;  Dumfrieshire; Peebleshire; Gibson - Lanarkshire; Somerville - Lanarkshire; Ramage - Lanarkshire

Offline littleprince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 December 07 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Here are the details of the Crichton Royal Hospital Archives

Dumfries and Galloway Health Board Archives

Contact Details
Easterbrook Hall
Crichton Royal Hospital
Dumfries
DG1 4TG
Scotland

Tel: 01387 244 228
Fax: 01387 269 696 

Access information
Open : Tues-Fri 9.30-4.30
Book in advance

Hope this is of some help

Little Prince
Saunderson- Dumfries, Edinburgh & South Africa
McClure, Neisham, Walls, Beck- Dumfries
Nicholson, Scott - Berwick upon Tweed
Ross- Dumfries, Peebles
McDonnell - Ireland, Co Durham
McGuire - Ireland, Co Durham

Offline Tatty5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 January 08 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking time to respond to my query about records for the Crichton.  I will definately follow this up.

Happy New Year!

Kind regards
Trisha
Jackson - Lanarkshire;  Dumfrieshire; Peebleshire; Gibson - Lanarkshire; Somerville - Lanarkshire; Ramage - Lanarkshire

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 January 08 14:28 GMT (UK) »
The Crichton is now a college, part of a university.  There is a graveyard behind it which would have ex patients and staff who died there.  Could be another place to search.  Famous people who were patients there included Conan Doyle's father and Spike Milligan.  The Crichton was a massive place and included an industrial unit, a market garden, a farm and also had the Nursing School there, and the laundries.  I believe there is a website which tells you its history but I don't know the address. 

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 January 08 15:35 GMT (UK) »
hi all

had a look around and found this -

http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/liff/history5.html

might give some idea of treatment

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records