Author Topic: (Newport) 1841/1851 Census Lookup Requests Please For The Rossiters Of Newport  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: (Newport) 1841/1851 Census Lookup Requests Please For The Rossiters Of Newport
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 April 07 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hannah seems to have vanished.  I can't find her in Monmouthshire.  I've checked marriages and deaths with no luck.
In 51 there are 13 Rossiters I can see in the county but no sign of Hannah.

Fisherman
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline NeilR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: (Newport) 1841/1851 Census Lookup Requests Please For The Rossiters Of Newport
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
I know this post is years old, but wondering if there has been any progress?

William and Susan (nee Davies) were my gggrandparents.
Williams father who was also William (a saddler) was at their wedding in April 1849 and William died in September 1849 during the cholera epidemic leaving Susan a pregnant widow. I have been unable to find anything about the family's arrival in Newport, but they came over from Cork, Ireland with the influx of Irish fleeing the potato famine.

My great grandfather, William, was born in 1850 and married Annie Thomas, also from Newport, and they had nine children. Three, including my grandfather, went to Southern Africa, a fourth went to the Congo and then emigrated to the USA.

In 1855 Susan remarried and while I have been unable to find anything about her early life, her life post William's death was one of great tragedy. I have found over forty court appearances and 23 prison sentences; she had a further three children with her second husband, John Jones. Susan died in 1878. William went on to work for the GWR dying in 1941 and Annie died in 1916.

William and Annie's son Frederick died in 1880 and of the eight who survived to adulthood, I have not found much on the two Georges, but have a fair amount on the others.

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,
Hope all is well with you.

I'm still tracking this line too but it is hard going.

Did not know that Susan had re-married and would appreciate any info on her new husband and children please.

Have Susan's death in DEC Qtr 1878 at Newport. William death is MAR Qtr 1941 at Newport RD and Annie's death DEC Qtr 1916 also at Newport RD.

Have George Frederick Rossiter married to Gladys Bertha Nellie Baines on 24th July 1915 (recorded Sept Qtr 1915 at Newport RD). Have son Bernard G born JUNE Qtr 1918 at Newport RD and son Kenneth W born June Qtr 1926 at Newport RD.

Have George Henry Arthur Rossiter married to Gladys Beatrice Dorothy Whitley in MAR Qtr 1917
at Newport RD but not found any children as yet.

Have David & Edward going to South Africa and have Sydney going to USA but did not realise he had been to Congo. Not sure who the third sibling was who went to Southern Africa.

Hope this helps. Have a good day. Best wishes, rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline NeilR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
I did have it all on my website (www.our-roots.info), but have had to upload a newer software version and somehow mucked everything up. Am waiting for No.2 son to "get around" to sorting it out, but it appears fishing is more important than father's hobby.

Sidney + Ida lived in Tshikapa, Belgian Congo (Zaire) for three years, which is where their eldest son Chester was born before moving to New Jersey USA. They had a second son, Sydney, in the USA.

Laura emigrated to South Africa where she married a Joseph Rigby and they had two daughters.

David William was the first to emigrate to South Africa and went on to become managing director of Consolidate Goldfields. He and Alice (nee Cursons) had a son and two daughters and the son, also David William returned to the UK where he trained as a medical doctor and worked in Portsmouth. David married Katie Birch and they adopted a son, Michael and then had a natural son, David Charles, who sadly died a few years ago before we could meet up.

David and Alice's daughters were Alice and Dorothy and they remained in SA.

I am Edward's grandson and he moved up north to Rhodesia.

William and Annie had two other daughters, Elizabeth and Mary. Elizabeth married an Edgar Edwards and remained in Newport as did Mary who married a George Lewis. From what I have been able to find, George and Mary only had one son, Arthur Picton Rossiter Lewis, who also became a medical doctor and worked for the prison service in London. Elizabeth and Edgar had three daughters and a son.

Have a lot more info and have also written up a few chapters on this Rossiter line if anyone is interested. *

Regards, Neil

*Moderator comment: e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to prevent others abusing or spamming it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  New members need to make two or three posts in order to access this system.  Thanks