Author Topic: Reverend Mother in Convent  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Ebenist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reverend Mother in Convent
« on: Monday 23 April 07 13:55 BST (UK) »
I had a Great Aunt who was a Reverend Mother in Nazareth House Convent (Northfield, Warwickshire)  in the 1930-50s. I have been unable to find her in any of the census'.
Does any body know if ladies, who had taken religeous orders, used their real name at census', or the one given by the religeous order?
To complicate matters, the convent has now closed; where might I go to locate records formerly held at the convent?

Kind Regards

Ebenist

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reverend Mother in Convent
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 07 14:06 BST (UK) »
I had a Great Aunt who was a Reverend Mother in Nazareth House Convent (Northfield, Warwickshire)  in the 1930-50s. I have been unable to find her in any of the census'.
Kind Regards
Ebenist

What censuses ??? the censuses are only available upto 1901.
Do you mean the GRO Registers?
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ebenist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 07 18:13 BST (UK) »
Dear Stan,
                Thank you for your reply. I know that my Great Aunt was Godmother to my cousin in 1939. So I guessed at that time she would be older than 21, probably considerably older as she had progressed to Reverend Mother status. I thought there to be a chance she would be in the 1901 census, as are some of her siblings.
I do not know what the GRO registers are. Will be grateful if you will explain.
Best wishes.
John

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 07 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello John

The Catholic Family History Society might be a good place to start as they have an index of nuns:
              http://www.catholic-history.org.uk/cfhs/

This is an index of approximately 14,000 nuns who were in the English Province of their Order. It is arranged alphabetically by the surname of each nun and usually gives date of birth, names of parents, religious name, dates of profession, date and place of death and name of Order.
Write the details for each search at the top of a separate sheet of paper, which will be used for the reply, and send with sae to

Catholic FHS, Margaret Butler, 6 Wynderoft Close, Enfield, Middlesex, EN2 7BJ

This free for members, they ask non-members for a £5 donation for the service.

I have relatives who were nuns in a number of different censuses, including 1901, and they all used their birth names rather than their names in religion. Their occupation was given as, for example, "Member of community" or "Cloistered nun"

Good luck

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 07 19:27 BST (UK) »
I do not know what the GRO registers are. Will be grateful if you will explain.
Best wishes.
John

John,
The General Register Office registers of all Births, Marriages, and Deaths from the 1st. July 1837, to the present day. The indexes to the registers are available in most Record Offices and on-line.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 07 20:07 BST (UK) »
You could also try writing to:
     The Archivist, Nazareth House, Hammersmith Road, London, W6 8DB.

This is the Mother House for the order. Don't forget to enclose a stamped, addressed envelope.

Colin

Colin

Offline Ebenist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 07 20:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Stan & Colin,
                             I am very grateful for your helpful replies. I will post the result when I have followed up your suggestions.

Best regards

Ebenist

Offline Ebenist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 07 16:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Colin,
                 The contact at Nazareth House, you so kindly provided, really turned up trumps. The Archivist there has given me very detailed information on the career path and life of my Great Aunt, even including her will. It was very moving to have something in her own handwriting.
I had hoped that the location in Ireland, from whence her mother and father came in about 1880, would be revealled. Unfortunately, although the two signatories to her will gave their full addresses, in Ireland, she herself did not. I guess that's one of the little frustrations one must learn to live with in ancestor research!
If anyone has any suggestions as to how I might investigate out Irish roots, I would be most grateful to hear. All I really have to go on is my Great Grandfathers name and D of B, his wifes D of B and maiden name and the same detail for his brother and his brothers wife. Not a lot to go on I know.
Regards
John

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 May 07 18:59 BST (UK) »
Dear Colin,
                 The contact at Nazareth House, you so kindly provided, really turned up trumps. The Archivist there has given me very detailed information on the career path and life of my Great Aunt, even including her will. It was very moving to have something in her own handwriting.

Regards
John

Hello John

I'm glad to learn that you had a such a succesful outcome; good luck with the further searches.

Colin