Author Topic: inverchaolin  (Read 64644 times)

Offline Balilone

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: inverchaolin
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 01 March 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Really enjoyed reading your postings on Glen Lean and Garrachoran. I saw that you cited "With Sword and Harp," did you work from any other source material? I manage the Clan Currie(MacMhuirich) Society and have been looking for other data to support William Currie's text. He was a wonderful writer but sadly did not cite sources for much of his material.

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 02 March 12 06:06 GMT (UK) »
I read a wee book about the Powder Mill at Clachaig but by memory is failing ... I am going back to the library today ... if it is still there I will look and see what it states as the owner Sheriff bought the land from. 

I have not looked further into hte Curries ... difficult to go back here before mid 1700's without looking at all the sassines.

The Bornws however I studied.  There is indeed a strange name change from McGilmichael/McIldonie etc into Brown starting at the very start of the OPR's ... sometimes it reverts back which makes it difficulf for anybody with the name Brown to research their ancestors here. 

At present I am studying the Harkness family.  Thomas Harkness was not alone ... there was also a John and a Margaret Harkness who came here probably late 1740's early 1750

Please be more specific in your questions ...

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 06:51 BST (UK) »
Monica who is a Global Moderator placed a portion of this Forum into an answer on my Brown Family.

I have a connection with John Brown and Jane Lietch/Leitch who are mentioned on this forum topic.  My information is as follows:

I am researching the BROWN family and have Donald BROWN marrying Mary KENNEDY at Stralachlan, Argyll, Scotland on 29 May 1799.  Children from this marriage are:

Donald born 1802 Dalilongart, Dunoon, Kilmun
Ann born 1804 Inverchaolain
John 1806 Ardnaslate, Dunoon, Kilmun
Duncan 1808 Dergachy, Kilman Parish, Dunoon & Kilmun, [my direct descendant who came to Australia in 1838 with his wife Margaret nee MITCHELL and 3 sons - my GG Grandmother and her twin being born at sea 3 days out of Sydney]
Mary 1810 Dergachy, Dunoon, Kilmun
Angus 1812 Dergachy, Dunoon, Kilmun
Janet 1814 Dergachy, Dunoon, Kilmun
Agnes 1816 Garachoirain, Inverchaolain
Margaret 1818 Dergachy, Dunoon, Kilmun
Alexander 1820 Dergachy, Dunoon, Kilmun
Dugald 1823 Dergachy, Dunoon, Kilmun

I have the Baptism certificates for the children and also the Marriage certificate for Donald and Mary.

May I please ask if anyone is researching any of the above?  Are you able to help me at all please.

My reply to Monica's message was:

Thank you very much for your reply, yes this is the right John.  Sadly I do not have a huge amount of information for him or Jane, only a year for her death, a year for his death.  His Baptism certificate gives a birth date of 22 April 1806 and Baptism 23 April 1806 at what looks like Ardnanslaite but I cannot find this area at all.

And then by way of follow up:

I have now purchased the Birth for Jane Lietch (it is actually spelt this way), daughter of Alexander Lietch/Leitch and Mary nee Weir and also her sister Mennie Lietch (again spelt this way) who was born 8 December 1808.  Jane's birth has been put as 1 January 1809 but at the top of the page it has 1808-9.  Now I am wondering if Jane was born in 1808 and not 1809 as it states, would Mennie be delivered and then nearly a month later Jane.  On the birth register (no baptism date mentioned) it clearly has 1809 against some of the dates and not others.  Does this mean that she was born at the beginning of 1808 then?  Anyone come across this before please?

I have also purchased the Marriage Register for John Brown and Jane Leitch.  With this marriage I do not believe they married twice but only the once on 16 January 1833.  On 12 January 1833 he went to the Parish Registrar/Church to request his intention to marry Jane to be duly published in form in law.

I have also found their death register records and have purchased these as well.  Both John and Jane passed away at Finnartmore.

May I please ask if anyone else here has done further investigations into the Brown family from the names mentioned above?

Cheers
Judi

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 17 February 14 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if I may follow up Balilone's query with a rather more specific one. That was a question about whether enyone had followed up any of the With Sword & Harp references. Mine is whether anyone has any independent record of the James (Mc)Currie referenced?

Incidentally, the Harkness connection was the marriage of Thomas Harkness 30.12.1799 to Jean Curry in the Parish of Inverchaolain. I assume this was the same Jean Curry of Coirechavive who, on 17.8.1813, also in Inverchaolain, married Lieut Archibald Black of the Parish of Kilbride in Arran so that marriage did not end with his death in 1806.

Thanks for any help anyone can give,

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 17 February 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Jean Curry of Garrocharon married Thomas Harkness.

Jean Curry of Corrachaive who was born in 1782  was engaged to her cousin John Currie of Garrocharan who was killed in 1799.  She was a great beauty and was the heroine of the Gaelic lovesong “Clachan Glendaruel” (no need to say the composer of this was also a Currie!)… she eventually married Commander R.N. Black!

You are talking about 2 different Jean Curry's!

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 19 October 14 12:36 BST (UK) »
I have just seen reply no 6 on this topic which states that "Thomas  commonly called "An Gall Ruadh" the Red Stranger came to this area in the early 1700's." Thomas is Thomas Harkness and I am of this line on my mother's side. However what is particularly interesting is that the writer James Hogg wrote of the earlier Thomas Harkness of Locherben in Dumfriesshire, Thomas the Martyr, and referred to him as Red Tam; see the Hogg short story "A Tale of the Martyrs. While much in the story is a fictionalised account this does seem to suggest that red hair was a feature of this family. Another small piece added to the jigsaw of family history!
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline sonofhelaman4817

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 18:26 BST (UK) »
This is my first time on the board, I am stuck with finding the wife of one Alexander McGilmichal born 1720, father of Archibald Brown or McGilmichal born 1748 Inverchaolin, married 15 April 1773 in Inverchaolin to Mary McKellar, born 1749 and died 25 February 1798. I also am hoping to find her father, Archibald Mckellar, born to my knowledge in Gortanloist, Scotland, the rest of his vitals and whoever his spouse was, the mother of Mary McKellar. IMPORTANT  Side note, Mary and Archibald Brown had a son named for his father, and there is a marriage record for that boy to a spouse named Mary Mckillar(sic) date of 24 March 1800, 2 years after the death of his mother. Please do not let that throw you. I would appreciate the help so much. Also, if someone could explain the name change reason from McGilmichal to Brown, I would be very grateful.

Offline Sapientia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 29 March 18 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

This is my first forum post here, and I was wondering if anyone may have some information or clues for me. I know this is quite a long post (sorry!) as I am at a brick wall!

I have been deep in research, exhausting everywhere I know of, trying to find ancestors of an Archibald Black (died 1808) and his wife Janet (MacChananich - in various spellings) /Buchanan, their marriage being in Inverchaolain in 1775 and I have found only two sons though have heard of there being more children but with no solid evidence; Walter Black (1797–1878) and Niel Black (1804–1880).

As far as I can tell, they and their descendants lived in Inverchaolain, but I just cannot find solid evidence of their parents! Or even their siblings. I am wondering at least for Janet if it is due to her surname being recorded differently, so I can't get the right spelling or version matched. For Archibald I found a possible parental connection but can't tell if it's correct, which would put his birth in Cowall, 5 JAN 1767 - Walter Black and Anne/Ann McLean. Even if anyone knows locations of the area as I'm not from Scotland myself, to say that Cowall may be nearby or not. There appear to be a lot of Archibald Black's from Inverchaolain born around the time I am searching for.

I have read through this thread and saw that there is mention of them from some time ago, which was very exciting but I haven't found much more.
So, if anyone has even tidbits of information or any sources I may be able to look into. I am desperately trying to find Archibald's birth year and parents, and the same for Janet.

The family line stopping at 1808 would be rather disappointing, as I have found further back in all of my other lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated (more than you know!). If anyone knows anything at all, please don't hesitate, any and all info is great. 

Thank you Kindly

Offline KuipersK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hiya!

This is my first post, so please bear with me :)

gc1660, you posted on this thread (reply #68) that you have a list of Clan Lamont related births at Dunoon and Kilmun - I am researching my Lamont ancestors and would be very interested in this information.

I started with my GGrandfather, Alexander Lamont b.25 FEB 1870 in Kilfinan, d.26 APR 1927 in South Africa, and have been working back.
>Coll Lamont b.1837 m. Elizabeth McNicol
>Coll Lamont b.1803 m. Sarah Black
>Hugh Lamont b.1772 m. Catherine McLachlan
>Archibald Lamont (McPhorick?) b.1725 m. Marjory/Mary Baxter

>I'd like to check if I've correctly identified Archibald Lamont (McPhorick?) b.BEF 12 FEB 1769 • Dunoon and Kilmun as son of the above Archibald Lamont? (this second Archibald married Marrion Lamont/McPhorick b. BEF 17 NOV 1767 • Dunoon and Kilmun).

Thanks very much!
Kathy
Lamont
Loxley
Kuipers
Ubbink