Author Topic: inverchaolin  (Read 64643 times)

Offline sonofcam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: inverchaolin
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 February 09 08:33 GMT (UK) »
On a loosely related subject, does anyone have experience of surname changes in Inverchaolain parish around 1760?
I am researching a family more recently named Brown for whom there is circumstantial evidence accumulating of a posible family name change from McGilmichal around 1760. For the best example I have two children born to couples with matching husband's forename and wife's full name about two years apart from Kilmichael. I understand that Kilmichael is a very small locality in Glen Fyne which does not exist any more so it is a very large coincidence.
There are several other couples in the same general area that exhibit similar matches either side of the 1760 line.
Also,
Regarding place names, is there likely to be any relationship between what appears to be Goistan-Ionfarge in an 18th century register and the current Goranansaig Farm?
Regards,
David Bailey

Offline Janet McKellar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 March 09 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello David and others

On the subject of similar place names around Loch Striven, I, too, had been considering Goirtan..asaig and first wondered whether it could be the same place as Goirtanlaois(t)ge.  However, I have since realised they are different settlements in the same area. 

Goirtan...asaig is close to Kilmichael as you say, while I think Goirtanlaoisge is what showed as Gartan Laoisge on an 1832 map.  I now think that must be further north, between Invervegain and (cnoc) Lecknagall, so definitely two different settlements.  Gone from view now, though there is still a Garden Wood on almost the exact spot.

So is your GoirtanIonfarge another settlement altogether, or merely yet another spelling /interpretation of Goirtanlaoisge, am wondering now. 

Trying to trace ancestors of Archibald McKellar and More NcEwn who raised their children at Goirtan Laoisge in the 1750s and 1760s, the family migrating to Troustan on the other side of Loch Striven by the 1780s.

After examining the local McEwns, I'm now considering whether More might be an unrecorded daughter of Duncan McEwn from Kilmichael who married Mary Ferguson on Bute in 1735.  They had children at Goirtan..asaig and Kilmichael.
Hence my trail of these Goirtan settlements.

Hoping to hear more of the history of this area, particularly migration and or clearances of the population.

Katie
The Netherlands

Offline Janet McKellar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Inverchaolain - name changes Brown
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 March 09 16:04 GMT (UK) »
David again,

I, too, would be interested in hearing more about possible name changes between McKilmichal and Brown.  My 4 x great grandmother Janet McKellar was from Loch Striven and her brother Duncan McKellar married a Margaret Brown in 1784 who is hard to find in earlier documents.  Your suggestion might explain that.

Katie

Offline Janet McKellar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Inverchaolain - McNuiar/Harkness
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 March 09 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Museum Man and others

I quite understand your time's at a premium, but I'm interested in what you say.  You mention Thomas Harkness, his daughter Janet and her husband Duncan McNuiar in Invervegain. 

When my 4xgreat grandmother Janet McKellar married Patrick Cl(e)ark, in 1781, he was said to be from Glendaruel, but presently servant to Duncan McNuiar tenant in Invervegain.

If there is anything on McKellars in the Loch Striven area, I should be interested to learn where I might find out more.

Thank you,
Katie
The Netherlands

Offline lomond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 02:56 GMT (UK) »
I also have relatives from Inverchaolin. John Munn who married Mary Leitch. She was from Kilmodan and her father was Alexander Leitch and mother Mary McNuir/Weir. John died in Greenock in 1856 his parents were given as James and Ann Carmichael Munn.  There is a marriage for an Ann Michael which could be his mother I think his father was James Munn and marriage about the same time for an Ann Brown whose children fit in with the age of John Munn. I wonder if there could have been a mistake in the records. 

Offline tindall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 July 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
David, Hoping I could reply to you via email as I have a lot of info on the Kilmodan link and your Browns. We may be distantly related. If you know how to connact me, then please do so. I am new to this site and can't work out how to do any more than this link.  Heather.
mcmains, mains, campbell, douglas, sommerville, turner, mckeol, murray, mcfarlane. Kilmodan, Dunoon, Glendarual and Argyle generally.

Offline gc1660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 November 09 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am researching my husbands family history.  We still live here in Colintraive, but even for us the old place names can sometimes be confusing.  I found several of the ancestors children born in Kilmichael but baptised at Inverchoalain in the 1700's.  There was a Kilmichael House/Form at Loch Striven which I found on the Lamount-Young website as follows:
Throughout 1753 Colin Lamont of Knockdow was more usefully employed in negotiating the purchase of the farm of Kilmichael, on which the present mansion-house of Knockdow stands.
unquote.
Gortonansaig is a farm close to the Nato refueling jetty at Loch Striven.
Our family is Clark, but lots of Brown's, McLean, White etc ... all from Dunoon or Inverchaolain....

Offline cuddlepie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 March 10 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I read this with a great deal of excitement and interest as I am also descended from Janet Harkness and Duncan Weir. I am descended through their daughter Janet who married a Turner. The Turner family eventaully came to Victoria Australia where quite a few stayed. However, some went up to New South Wales and it is through them that I am descended (we eventually ended back up in Victoria as my Grandpa was in the Navy and married my Grandmother who lived here. I am more than happy to share what I have with anyone related or interested. I am just miffed I didn't find this link 6 months ago when I was living in the UK!

Offline Domhnaich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 March 10 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Firstly, great information.  I have been looking at the Mcgilledonich, Mcildonich, Mcgildonie, Mcildonie, Donie and Downie families in Inverchaolin area and in particular along the western shore of Loch Striven.  I noticed a few of the different surname as the wives of some of the names I have been researching.  There is too much information to post here, so I have included a url http://downiesurname.yolasite.com/mcgildonie-donie-and-downie-in-inverchaolain.php.

Some example are of the information on the site:

Balliemore:

1750 – Mcgildonie   28/01/1750   MCGILDONIE   ARCHIBALD   FINLAY MCGILDONIE/JANET NCKILLAR

Stronyaraig:

1698 – Mcildonich   Mclldonich, Meldonich, in Stronyerraig, par. of Dunoon, d. Mar. 1698; Mary Ochlerech, relict; Dougald, Archibald, John, Alexander and Katherine, children 27 Feb. 1699. Argyll Register of Inventories 1693-1702 and THE COMMISSARIOT OF ARGYLL. Register of Inventories (Ref)

1740 - Mcgildonie    22/07/1740   MCGILDONIE ARCHIBALD   JOHN MCGILDONIE/MORE NCP.
1747 – Mcgildonie   20/08/1747   MCGILDONIE FINLAY JOHN MCGILDONIE/MORE NCPHATRICK
1748 – Mcgildonie   27/11/1748              MCGILDONIE DUNCAN JOHN MCGILDONIE/MORE NCFATRICK

For the Brown surname I have come across a couple of M'Ilduin families, but mostly from Stillaig Mor.  If there is anything I can assist with please let me know.

Regards