Author Topic: Bobby & Jack Charlton  (Read 14516 times)

Offline BlackPearl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bobby & Jack Charlton
« on: Tuesday 24 April 07 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know if there the ancestry of the Charton brothers has been looked into?

I would like to be able to find out if they have a connection to the following people that are on the 1881 census:

34 Albion Row, Cramlington
John CHARLTON Head 52 Overman b. Chirton, Northumberland
Mary CHARLTON Wife 52 b. South Shields, Durham

Isabella STEPHENSON M-in-L Wid. 84 b. Long Benton, Northumberland
James COWAN Uncle Wid. 91 Labourer b. Northumberland
Margaret STEPHENSON Niece 6 b. Seaton Delaval, Northumberland

The person that I am connected to is Margaret Stephenson.  Oddly enough, even though the actual census pages say she was born in Seaton Delaval, the transcription on both familysearch.org and Ancestry says her birth place is Reston.

My great grandmother was daughter to Margaret and always said she was related to Bobby and Jack.  Of course I take it with a hefty pinch of salt that this is true until I find evidence otherwise and as I have now found Margaret on the 1881 with an Aunt and Uncle with the surname Charlton I wonder now if she could have been telling the truth!

Any help appreciated!

Joanne  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby & Jack Charlton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 22:18 BST (UK) »
  Joanne, have you googled, I took a quick look and there is some info on them there.  You might also find a biography in a public library.  Hope you find something to help. Their mother was Cissie Milburn, born11th Nov 1912,  died1996, not sure about Dad!      Please let us know if you find you are decendant of them!  Dolly.
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 00:03 BST (UK) »
They were both born in Ashington, Northumberland if that helps any..
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 12:08 BST (UK) »
Joane,

This has nothing to do with any link you may have with the Charlton brothers.

It is about the recorded birth place of Margaret Stephenson
on 1881 census.

You noticed that , although the actual census pages shows Seaton Delaval as her birth place, both Ancestry and LDS Church transcriptions show it as RESTON !

As you probably know there is no such place as Reston in Northumberland.  ( There is in Cumberland and Lincolnshire and Scotland, but no matter)

"Reston" is the end result of a  volunteer transciber, with perhaps little knowledge of the geography of the district,  incorrectly reading the census enumerator's writing of "Seaton Delaval".

I am not sure of this,  but I think Ancestry used the LDS Church transciption, hence the "double" error"

Joanne, when you get a result on the Charlton connection, are you going to pursue whether Margaret Stephenson had connections to the Stephensons of railway fame ? LOL.

Michael (Naughty) Dixon
Newcastle
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 07 21:37 BST (UK) »
For your interest, Bobby Charlton went to Bedlington Grammar School; they played a match against Blyth Grammar School in which Bobby's team were stuffed!
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline tazz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 07 23:15 BST (UK) »
also bobby and jacks father worked at bedlington pit,which ive just read about, site called pitworks

Offline Bill_r

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 September 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
also bobby and jacks father worked at bedlington pit,which ive just read about, site called pitworks

If you meant pitwork.net it's now available on the Durham Mining Museum website. The DMM website is a great source of information, including numerous records of people killed in coal mines.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/mindex.htm
Names.
Anderson, Balmer, Bell, Bulmer, Burn, Cowan, Ferguson, Easton, Elliott, Heir, Hunter, Johnstone, Leadbitter, Riley, McMenan.

Places.
Ashington, Blyth, Gateshead, Hirst, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, North Shields, Ryhope, South Shields, Tweedmouth, Whitehaven, Ireland.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
Bobby and Jackie were of course related to Jackie Milburn, famous footballer for Newcastle and England, through their mother Cissie ( Elizabeth).
We have some Stephensons in our Tree, but in Byker + linked by marriage to the Wests.
Our footballer was Bert ( Herbert Edward )West b. Byker 1918. Moved to Yorkshire as a teenage player to play for Doncaster and Huddersfield . Sporting career cut short due to injury but remained in Huddersfield for the rest of his life.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
The closest baptism in Tynemouth Christ Church for a John Charlton was a John Stevenson Charton baptised 8 Sept 1831 to a John and Margaret Charlton, North Shields, Brewer.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk