Author Topic: search for George Tapp, West Quarter Exeter  (Read 4249 times)

Offline contrary mary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
search for George Tapp, West Quarter Exeter
« on: Tuesday 24 April 07 18:11 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping that someone will be able to assist me with my search for further information about George TAPP, a fish dealer, born in Exeter c.1859. The 1871 census names his mother as Susan TAPP and sister as Bessy, born c. 1858, living in Smythen Street, Exeter. I have his marriage certificate which shows he married Elizabeth ATKINS in 1886, ( and confirms his father as George TAPP, deceased), residing in West Street, and later King Street in Exeter. I cannot find him on the 1861 census, nor can I find his birth registration.

I believe his father to be George TAPP, a mason, born in West Teignmouth in 1816 to John and Mary TAPP. I have found him living in Teignmouth in 1841 and in 1851 with his sisters and mother. In 1861, he is living in Smythen Street, Exeter, (unm.) with his sister, Mary Ann and her two children. I can find no marriage record for George and Susan, though she is listed as a widow in the 1871 census. He died in Smythen Street in 1868.

I am trying to find enough information to link these two as father and son, and to find out who Susan was. I have traced a number of records in the police charge books of the era, as transcribed by Brian Brassett, which appear to suggest that both father and then son remained in the vicinity of the West Quarter of Exeter between 1859 and 1895.

I hope someone can assist - or provide ideas of where else I can look? Many thanks, in anticipation!

Other names of interest : ATKINS, ALLEN, BAMPFYLDE, GLEESON, HODGE, LASKEY, LETHBRIDGE, MAPLEDORAM, PRESTON, SHILSTON, SOUTHCOTT, VICARY

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: search for George Tapp, West Quarter Exeter
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Contrary Mary,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

In 1861, there's
RG9/1395/7 7
Precinct of The Close
Catherine St

Susan Webber, head, unm, 26, Straw Bonnet Maker, b. Devon Teignemouth
Bessy, dau, 3, b. Exeter
George, son, 2, b. do.

Perhaps your ones?  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline contrary mary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

I was wondering about her (though age is completely wrong).

Have attempted to trace George under the surname Webber, too - with no results.

At least this goes some way to confirming what I suspected....

But who was he?!

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
 This is very strange the 1861 census Tatti has found looks really good and suggests illegitimacy is involved I wouldn't worry too much about her age difference it happens a lot and the children's ages are spot on There is a George Webber Mar qtr 1859  Exeter 5b 86 Interesting isn't one of George's sisters a Susan about the right age? I wonder if this Susan Webber is George's sister with two indiscretions   Mr Webber leaves or dies so she reverts to her maiden name and the children think of their Grand father George as their father hence the name on the marriage certificate. Um what do other Chatters think of this sticky one?  ???
About the Police records I suggest you post an inquiry on the common room board asking about the extent of Police records for the area and dates your searching.
Will have another think about this one  ???
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline contrary mary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.

You've confirmed a train of thought that I've been moving towards recently.

I began to wonder about illegitimacy, especially as Susan seems to change her identity (surname, age, married/ single/widow?!) with each census, but not in the obvious order!I  couldn't decide whether Susan Webber was actually George's sister, as you suggested, and her son named his uncle or grandfather in his marriage certificate, or whether she was indeed someone else called Susan Webber, and I just couldn't find their marriage, despite her claiming to be married at times. Like you, I think I veer towards the former idea, but still seem unable to find George and Bessy's birth registrations ( the George Webber you found is not the same one).

I just wonder whether the police records might help me to find their whereabouts at times, and possibly more information about them. Both Susan and George Tapp have police records, as previously mentioned, so it is therefore quite likely that they were conservative with the truth ( and possibly took pseudonyms, which I've seen more than once on these records.

What do you think? ( I'll also follow up your help with finding out more about these records)

Offline familyfinder33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi i have done lots of research on this family as its my husbands 2x great granddad . I can confirm a lot about Susan too -and have even stood in the remains of the almshouses where she was living at one point.
please message me if you are still around!

Offline familyfinder33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I also have a lot more on Susan -she had twins and narrowly escaped prison as one died and she had refued the workhouse - she is later living with George still in Exeter and when the second twin died he registered the death,
Her sister Mary Ann remained around too - they were very 'close' !

Offline margsw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 June 19 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hi All, I to am researching George Tapp for my friend Phil Tapp. George He was 2yrs old in the 1861 Census with his mother Susan and his sister Bessy. They are registered as Webber but in the 1871 census he is registered as Tapp. His uncle George Tapp (mason) in the 1851 Census is living with his mother Susan (Bonnetmaker) and other sister Mary Ann (Dressmaker). Their mother is Mary Tapp and father is a John Tapp. George married Elizabeth Atkins in 1886 in Exetor Devon.
Any leads back from John Tapp is appreciated.