Author Topic: Getting things right on RootsChat  (Read 20282 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Getting things right on RootsChat
« Reply #72 on: Friday 27 April 07 13:15 BST (UK) »
Well said yet again Alangeo1.

Lydart, as I far as I know you can't 'unsubscribe to' this thread.  And posting views which have already been expressed time and time again, and doing so very loudly - in terms of print size, colour, and movement - adds nothing to what is a serious discussion.

julianb, many thanks for your serious and thoughtful efforts to engage folk in a rational discussion on what is, indeed, a current problem on RC.  You have tried but ...

JAP

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 27 April 07 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Lydart

I was perfectly happy to accept what you are saying UNTIL the CE came along with his/her post. It is unintelligible and irrelevant to this discussion and if the comment made is to be believed, I have  serious concerns about the future of Sarah's dream site.

You cannot unsubscribe to a thread, but if you want no further notification to appear in "new replies" the TOT board allows you to delete all your responses and voila - no notification.

Trish

Hi Alangeo1 - and welcome to RC where most of the time is spent enjoying the trek into the past finding our families and friends of long ago. No apology is necessary - an extremely good post

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 27 April 07 13:33 BST (UK) »
Trish,

I too am utterly puzzled by the post from Copyright_editor.  Especially as inconsistency in posts/actions by Copyright_editor (which I take to be a generic term covering a number of people) has been a major concern.  It would certainly be useful for C_e to let us know which actual information (not format etc) is regarded as copyright; this surely cannot apply to anything which is in the public domain such as census and bdm information, etc, etc ...

Can one really re-write history by deleting one's own posts and thus get off the 'new replies' treadmill.  Fascinating  ;)

Regards,

JAP
PS: I'd like to second Trish's welcome to Alangeo1.  Alangeo1, your very thoughtful and sensible posts can only make one look forward to many future such posts from you on specific genealogical topics  :D

Offline Alangeo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 27 April 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your welcomes, and comments. Hope to be of some help in the future but not sure could compete :)
 :D

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 27 April 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I have been watching this thread over last few days with interest. I think it fair to say that we all agree that Rootschat is a marvellous site and that the Moderators do have a difficult job. I don't know how many Mods we have and givrn most do have day jobs and households to run it would be unfair to expect 24x7 coverage. Do we need more Mods ? I don't know but worth considering.

The main issue that strikes me is the inconsistency referred to in the posts above. If that could be resolved then I think would go a long way to smoothing ruffled feathers.

I don't use the boards that much but that's because I'm lining up my brick wall queries in readiness! I do however use the chatroom and I fully understand what a difficult job it must be to Moderate and my hat goes off to Grub.

We are all indeed different and what upsets one person won't another so it can be a very difficult balance to strike. However if a thread is locked or deleted I do feel that there should be an explanation given. The recipient might not agree or like what's said but should be adult enough to accept it.

That's my tuppence worth!

Thanks to Trsytan & Sarah for the best genealogy site on the web!

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 27 April 07 18:59 BST (UK) »
Just in from real worki!!

A couple of things

The Copyright Ed have the legal advice about what is and is not acceptable (so I am told).

It is never acceptable, legally or morally, to repeat the content of PMs (personal messages) on the open boards, unless you wrote them yourself.  That is what I believe the CEd was referring to.

PMs are not available for anyone but the originator or the recipient to read - unless one or other copies them elsewhere.  Even Trystan has assured me that he cannot see mine (so my discussions about my ailments remain forever a mystery to him!!)  ;D

I hope that clarifies the PM issue for everyone - your secrets are safe!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 27 April 07 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arranroots for clearing up, my ailments will remain a mystery too - thank goodness for that  ::) ::) ::)

Can I just say after feeling quite upset earlier today by some of what has been going on on this thread today, yes I know I'm quite a sensitive soul, but I just don't like the harping and sarky snipes, it was lovely to come on and read two frienly and clearly put bits from Ann B and Arranroots, if only we could all be as nice. 

Oh and Alangeo, welcome and most of the time we are really nice to each other on rootschat, I don't really know what has happened the last few days, yes there are clearly issues that need to be addressed and resolved but please can we do it in a nice friendly adult manner, not like a bunch of kids in the playground.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 28 April 07 00:00 BST (UK) »

I don't really know what has happened the last few days, yes there are clearly issues that need to be addressed and resolved but please can we do it in a nice friendly adult manner, not like a bunch of kids in the playground.

Kerry,

I and a lot of others, judging by the stats, have been watching this discussion as it has developed over the last day or so. I've even ventured the occasional contribution.

What I have been struck by most, is the genuine sense of caring that comes through in all the posts.

I have never witnessed such a lengthy and passionately fought argument conducted in such a restrained and dignified manner. Every contributor has striven to present their argument as forcefully as possible but without disparaging or seeking to offend their opponent.

In fact I don't believe there are any opponents.

You are all without question on the same side and I can't imagine any moderator making a decision of any importance in the future that will not be informed by the views raised here.

RonnieG

Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 30 April 07 21:01 BST (UK) »
I am closing/locking this topic on the basis that RonnieG’s very nice post sets the tone of how I hope we’re all going to behave now  :)

This is a difficult subject and I hesitated before opening it – primarily because I think RootsChat is a wonderful place – I’ve said that before  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hk/   and I still stand by what I said then. 

Some things to reflect on:

There are days when our Moderator colleagues are under pressure and I’d like to ask Sarah and Trystan if they need to consider whether to appoint more, even if only on the basis of picking up on Gadget’s distinction between the different roles they play. http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hl/

A number of people have said they are sure that the Moderators as a group are reflecting on how they could be more consistent.  My key message for our tireless Moderators is “please communicate your actions”.

All RootsChatters have a responsibility to be patient and let due process take its course where moderators feel they have to intervene.  If someone complains to a Mod about a post or a thread, a Mod is duty-bound surely to investigate (that’s what you would want them to do if you complained). 

We are privileged to have the Lighter Side and Totally Off Topic Boards.  It reflects the wit (and sometimes the non-genealogical expertise) of RootsChatters.  But let’s take a deep breath occasionally when something rubs us up the wrong way.  Ask yourself “what will my comments look like in a week/month’s time?”  Especially on Google! ::)

Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread – most  contributions seem to have been well thought through and sincere.  What more could I have asked?

I leave anyone who has had the patience to read this far with a suggestion to read these comments by Liverpool Annie.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hm/  The personal context for what she said was something much more real and dramatic than the stimulus for this thread could ever be – but the sentiments are very appropriate.  :)

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble