Author Topic: sunlaws, do you know where?  (Read 11512 times)

Offline pampow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sunlaws, do you know where?
« on: Wednesday 25 April 07 20:00 BST (UK) »
Does any one know of a house called Sunlaws in Roxburghshire, I believe it is near Kelso but not certain
Family word has it my gg grandmother lived/worked there and it was listed as her residence on her marriage certificate in 1907

thanks pam
Powell -Hughes-Jones-Williams
Sinclair- Ritchie -O Malley

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: sunlaws, do you know where?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 20:02 BST (UK) »
Now known as The Roxburghe House Hotel, it was built in the early 1800s. Read more about it here:)

Offline pampow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 20:20 BST (UK) »
thank you for the reply at least I can now find it
What I now need is to find out is who lived in it before it was turned into a hotel was it a big family home, what was the family and did they have servants?

thanks in advance
Pam

Offline Robert_S-K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, just happened to be browsing looking for information on Sunlaws when I came across your post asking about the owners/inhabitants of Sunlaws. My family owned and inhabited Sunlaws from when it was built in early times. Andrew Kerr (distant relative) purchased lands of Sunlaws  in 1647. Brig-General Robert Scott-Kerr was possibly living there in the early 1900s. If you are interested I have a short history of Sunlaws.
regards Robert

Offline pampow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 September 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert

Thanks for getting in touch, I would love to hear any details about Sunlaws, family and estate as my great grandmother worked there and my Mum has vague memories of being taken there as a child. It must have made a big impression as she named her house Sunlaws.
Her family was born and bred around the Kelso area, and there may have been more of them that worked there ? So yes I would love to know more
Regards
Pam

Offline Robert_S-K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 September 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Pam, thanks for our interest in Sunlaws. I have a Word file that is maybe too large to send as text. I hope the file is attached and that you cacn read it. I have no info on those who may have worked at Sunlaws but you will see from the detail on Sunlaws that there must have been many extending over the years!
regards
Robert

Offline Robert_S-K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 October 11 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Pam, thanks for our interest in Sunlaws. I have a Word file that is maybe too large to send as text. I hope the file is attached and that you cacn read it. I have no info on those who may have worked at Sunlaws but you will see from the detail on Sunlaws that there must have been many extending over the years!
regards
Robert
Hello Pam, I wondered if you have been able to look at the history of Sunlaws that I sent with my last post and whether any of it was of interest re- your great grandmother.
Regards, Robert

Offline pampow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert
Yes I have managed to read it, thank you so much for posting this,it was very interesting and with your permission I would like to keep a copy with my family tree. I know my Mum will love to read the history of Sunlaws when I see her. Unfortunately it doesn't help with finding out about the servants or their lives so my quest their continues.
Thank you once again for your help
Kindest Regards
Pam

Offline Robert_S-K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 October 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam. Thanks for letting me now that you were able to read the history of Sunlaws.

Do please use the history detail. Sorry it doesn't help regarding the servants or their lives. I don't know how one goes about finding this out. The only thing of any relevance is perhaps who was actually living in Sunlaws at a particular time. From the history you will see that when the house was rebuilt in 1888/90, the family in residence at the time of the fire in 1885 then consisted of William Scott-Kerr, his daughter Mary by his first wife, Lady Scott Douglas of Springwood and nine children by his second wife Frances Louisa Fennessy, who died in 1884.
All the best with your enquiries. Let me know if you find anything out,
best wishes, Robert