Author Topic: Dailey - Offaly Kenney - Laois  (Read 7401 times)

Offline jdailey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dailey - Offaly Kenney - Laois
« on: Friday 27 April 07 00:16 BST (UK) »
The following is a passage from a history written from memory by a family member.  These are the only clues I have to the birth place of my GGGrandparents.  My question is; where are the likliest towns in the county where the activities described in the following passage would have taken place.  Peter was born in approximately 1803 and Mary was born approximately 1810.  This information was determined by the 1850 U.S. census.  I have been unable to find Dailey's in Offaly or Kenney's in Laois using the available on-line information.  Based on other information I have, Peter's parents were Patrick Dailey and Jane Carey

Uninteresting to others than the immediate family, the writer at the age of 70 years gives facts, incidents, and happenings as related and remembered during the passing of these years.
xxxxx Dailey, the father of the writer and of four other children was the second son of Peter and Mary Dailey, who emigrated from Ireland in the year 1833, at a time when the crossing was both hazardous, long, and hard.  On what ship or sailing craft I do not know.   

I have but little information concerning the parents of Peter Dailey, or his wife, Mary Kenney, not being thoughtful to inquire of my father concerning same.  I do recall that Peter came from Kings County [Co. Offaly] ; that Mary, my grandmother, came from Queen’s County [Co. Laois] , Ireland, and have the further story as to how they became acquainted.  It was on one of these frequent occasions when the Catholics and Orangemen differing in their religious beliefs had their fights.  These fights were man to man, fists, knuckles and skull, at such times, lines were formed, Catholics on one side and Orangemen opposite, leaving a no mans area between the two lines of good stone throws distance.  Stones were gathered and placed in piles behind either line, and as the men hurled stones, the women or Irish girls would replenish the stones.  They would continue thus until exhausted, or stopped by the soldiers.  It was on one of these occasions that Peter met Mary - liked her- Mary liked Peter, and so they met and were afterward married in their Catholic faith.  It was about one year after their marriage that they decided to try their luck in the ”Democratic” new country, United States of America.  Their oldest child, Jane Dailey, was born on ship en route to America.  Father stated that the Irish, hearing of the U.S. spoke of as a democracy, usually joined the Democratic Party in this country for that reason “Democratic” sounds logical at that.

Any clues?
Janet

Ireland- Dailey, Kenney, Doheny, Ryan
Scotland - Anderson, Stewart, Gray, Wishart, Balfour, Edmiston
Canada and U.S. - descendents of above

Offline Moyra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dailey - Offaly Kenney - Laois
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 December 08 15:14 GMT (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Kenny, from Kings County, who came to England with her two sons.  She later married Stephen Varley (in 1883?) in Jarrow and went on to have more children.  According to the marriage certificate she was a widow, and her father's name was Quinlan.  Any help?

Offline MarthaR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dailey - Offaly Kenney - Laois
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi - I realize this post is quite old but here goes.
I have a John Daly born in Offaly around 1810.  He immigrated around 1848 and married Elizabeth Dudley. They settled in Poultney, VT.  Their only son William Daly married Mary Kenney.  The Kenney's were originally from either Laois or Offaly. 

I don't know of a Peter Dailey but its possible that the spelling got changed somewhere along the way as I have seen the Daly name spelt various ways.

Martha
Legier, Crowley, Conroy, Daly, Delehanty, Bree, Dunn, Williams, Brophy